Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Surging/Sputtering Now won't start

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 07:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '88 Formula
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Stock
Surging/Sputtering Now won't start

Guys,

Its a 350TPI and has been giving me issues for a few weeks now. And finally yesterday it wouldn't start. It often gives me major trouble at start up and will smooth out once the engine is warm.
Symptoms: Car sputters majorly when cold and will not idle, once it smooths and will run fairly even with at about 1200rpms when I hold the gas, but will immediately sputter and die if put in gear. Sometimes turning it off and back on will solve the issue temporarily. Final piece of info, it was briefly in a friends drive way while running on saturday night and he claims it left a patch of fluid on the ground that would have come from about the middle of the car and possible the passenger side. Can you guys help me out with possible problems? I'm pretty sure I can hear the fuel pump turn on when I turn the key, and it has all new plugs, wires, coil, and rotor. Help!!!