Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Dear god please help me...

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 06:09 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 87 iroc-z camaro
Engine: 305TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: G92 3.23 posi
Dear god please help me...

Well no one really helped with my one thread of how when i would start up the camaro it would at times make an high pitched metal blade to blade scrapping sound, well it hasnt done that for an few days and the car has been driven an few times today and when i started the car right before we left to go look at rims, it made the noise, slightly but when we started driving it started making an metal like grinding sound, but nothing is grinding on the ground. The sound apears to be coming from the right rear.

What could this be! HELP ME! Im seriously about to give up on this vehicle as i cant keep having stuff break on me.

could this be the end of the exhuast? i have no muffler so their isnt many hangers, could it be the vibration making the exhuast hit the ground or underbody? But why would it only do this sometimes?

Last edited by iroc stangs; 08-06-2010 at 06:13 PM.
Old 08-06-2010, 06:14 PM
Supreme Member

Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts
Car: 86 Trans Am, 92 Firebird
Engine: 408 sbc, 3.1L of raw power
Transmission: TKO600, T5
Axle/Gears: Moser 9", 3:70 trutac, 3:23 torsion
Re: Dear god please help me...

have you looked at anything for the noise? PUll the wheel off, see if the brake is ****ed up, or if something is stuck in there, check teh axle for side to side play, could be a bearing. Are the brakes shot?
Old 08-06-2010, 06:16 PM
Supreme Member

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Car: 87 IROC Z28
Engine: 355 cid TPI
Transmission: Custom Built 700R4 w/3,500 stall
Axle/Gears: QP fab 9" 3.70 Truetrac

Check your rear brakes. Are they disc? Check out the pads. You may need to pull the caliper to get a good look.
Old 08-06-2010, 06:32 PM
Supreme Member

well first off about the exhuast, there is actually an hanger not to far back and i personally cant move it to much even with quite alot of pressure on it but right above the exhuast pipe, the heat shield which is coated from fac. with underbody liner right above the exhuast there is some bare metal, but i looked when my mother started the car and there was no metal noise and it didnt even look like it was getting close to the heat shield,

i'll check out the wheels, but what i wanna know is how would it still make the same noise when just starting off but not moving and other times it will make the noise and when moving make the same noise and why does it only do it sometimes?

and yes disk, how do i pull the caliper?
Old 08-06-2010, 06:39 PM

Car: several
Engine: Lots of them
Transmission: also lots of them
Axle/Gears: lots of them

Could be an axle bearing also

~Couch
Old 08-06-2010, 06:44 PM
Supreme Member

well i took off the right rear wheel, nothing diffrent then usual but i noticed when i took off the wheel there was water drips on the back off the wheel but i did wash the car a little over a week ago, it was competly clear. Im clueless what to do now. And what is an axle bearing and is it hard to replace and is it dangerous? Why would it make the same noise when starting to?
Old 08-06-2010, 06:45 PM
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 87 GTA
Engine: L98
Axle/Gears: Dana M78 3.27 posi

I had a disc brake pad that was doing that. Sometimes I would hear it, sometimes not.

I finally discovered that one of the pads had a loose clip, not holding it to the caliper, so it would shift & rub....sometimes.

Pulled the pad out, bent the clip in just a little tighter, put it back in & all was good.
Old 08-06-2010, 06:46 PM

sounds like brakes or a really bad water pump>>>>
Old 08-06-2010, 06:51 PM
Supreme Member

so how do i remove the caliper then? iv never done any brake work. if anyone knew of pics on how to do it, that would be GREAT! it seems to me like i remember you only need an hex bit to remove the caliper but not positive. also i have the car in nuteral (front wheels blocked though) with the emergency brake off and if i push really hard i can move the rotor an bit, is this bad or good?
Old 08-06-2010, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by iroc stangs
well i took off the right rear wheel, nothing diffrent then usual but i noticed when i took off the wheel there was water drips on the back off the wheel but i did wash the car a little over a week ago, it was competly clear. Im clueless what to do now. And what is an axle bearing and is it hard to replace and is it dangerous? Why would it make the same noise when starting to?

I don't know why it would make that sound starting I missed that. Sorry without being there I have no idea what that could be.

~Couch
Old 08-06-2010, 07:05 PM
Supreme Member

help...
Old 08-06-2010, 07:16 PM
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 87 GTA
Engine: L98
Axle/Gears: Dana M78 3.27 posi

so how do i remove the caliper then? iv never done any brake work. if anyone knew of pics on how to do it, that would be GREAT! it seems to me like i remember you only need an hex bit to remove the caliper but not positive. also i have the car in nuteral (front wheels blocked though) with the emergency brake off and if i push really hard i can move the rotor an bit, is this bad or good?
Jack the car up, take the wheel off & look at the caliper. There are only 2 bolts holding it on, so its pretty self explanatory.
Old 08-06-2010, 07:22 PM
Supreme Member

well i already (well did im going take an nap lol to stressing) had it jacked up with the wheel off and im guessing your talking about those two hex bolts correct? i tried at those but i didnt have the correct size hex wrench, what size is it do you know? What do the clips look like and how should i tighten them?
Old 08-06-2010, 07:42 PM
On Probation

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Car: 84 Z-28
Engine: 305 HO
Transmission: r-700
Axle/Gears: 3:73

If its making a "high pitched noise" when you are trying to start the engine
I would say you have starter issues. Either your starter is loose or needs to
be shimmed.

If its making that noise while the car is moving its something else............
Old 08-06-2010, 08:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: '86 Z28, '91 RS
Engine: 305ci, 305ci
Transmission: TH200c (no kidding), TH700r4
Axle/Gears: 2.73, 2.73

Well no one really helped with my one thread of how when i would start up the camaro it would at times make an high pitched metal blade to blade scrapping sound, well it hasnt done that for an few days and the car has been driven an few times today and when i started the car right before we left to go look at rims, it made the noise, slightly but when we started driving it started making an metal like grinding sound, but nothing is grinding on the ground. The sound apears to be coming from the right rear.

What could this be! HELP ME! Im seriously about to give up on this vehicle as i cant keep having stuff break on me.

could this be the end of the exhuast? i have no muffler so their isnt many hangers, could it be the vibration making the exhuast hit the ground or underbody? But why would it only do this sometimes?
It's a 23 year old vehicle it's going to have problems. Either look at it as a learning experience and fix it or trade it in for a newer car. Maybe it's not for you? Some people just don't like to work on their cars. I'm not trying to be a *****, I'm just being realistic.

I'm confused though, is it doing it when it first starts or when you are moving? If it's making the noise when the car is starting it's not the brakes. If you could get a recording of it that would help.

Grinding sounds are usually bad bearings in something. Unluckily for you everything that spins on our cars has bearings. If it's doing it while the car is stationary it rules out some things though.

The only thing that I have ever heard make a screeching squealing sound on our cars is a loose V-belts.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:44 PM

I just reread your post....we are dealing with two different problems here we have to be. The grinding noise has to be brake or axle bearing related, and the start up noise is more than likely a weak magnet in the starter solonoid not kicking the starter gear out far enough, starter teeth are worn, the starter bolts are loose letting the starter move away from the flex plate the starter is misaligned/needs shiming, or you have a flat spot on your flexplate where some teeth are knocked off. Thats the only way this can be explained.

~Couch
Old 08-06-2010, 11:01 PM

Car: 1990 IROC-Z 1LE
Engine: 5.7 TPI
Axle/Gears: G92 3.23

I am going to vote for axle bearing too. Its a pain in the *** to change, but not hard. Some things to remember:
Do both sides, they are both the same age. Should be obvious but some people cheap out.
Buy quality parts. If it comes with a 6 month warranty guess how long it will last?
You don't "have" to replace the carrier bearing, but if you are having a reputable shop do it, splurge. You are paying for 90% of the labor already. Use quality parts here too!
Buy quality fluid AND limited slip additive. If you plan on turning you are going to need the additive. Do not reuse the old fluid unless you are just that cheap or that broke.
Buy a gasket. Some say its not needed, I am not one of them. Its $5 for chrissakes.

Something to consider,
If you are changing out the carrier bearing this is a good time to consider a new rear ratio. If you have 3.23 you might consider getting some 3.73s. Just a thought.

Whatever you do I wish you good luck!
Old 08-07-2010, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Krik
I am going to vote for axle bearing too. Its a pain in the *** to change, but not hard. Some things to remember:
Do both sides, they are both the same age. Should be obvious but some people cheap out.
Buy quality parts. If it comes with a 6 month warranty guess how long it will last?
You don't "have" to replace the carrier bearing, but if you are having a reputable shop do it, splurge. You are paying for 90% of the labor already. Use quality parts here too!
Buy quality fluid AND limited slip additive. If you plan on turning you are going to need the additive. Do not reuse the old fluid unless you are just that cheap or that broke.
Buy a gasket. Some say its not needed, I am not one of them. Its $5 for chrissakes.

Something to consider,
If you are changing out the carrier bearing this is a good time to consider a new rear ratio. If you have 3.23 you might consider getting some 3.73s. Just a thought.

Whatever you do I wish you good luck!
I wouldn't change the carrier bearing unless i had to thats when you get into gear set up issues. Any time ive ever rebuilt a rear end and had to change the bearings Ive had to bust out the shim's. Your logic is sound about the labor, but rarely in a street car have I ever seen a carrier bearing wear out. All I'm saying here is that if you change the carrier bearings you have to shim the carrier. Using a gasket is a must you can put it on dry, or with silicone but use a gasket. Changing axle bearings isn't a big deal at all if you have a slide hammer or if you are real creative, but from the sounds of things this may be a job a little too advanced for you to accomplish by yourself. I agree with everything he said except the carrier bearings part. Do it if you want it can just complicate things

~Couch

Last edited by NAASBC355; 08-07-2010 at 02:32 PM.
Old 08-07-2010, 03:10 PM
Supreme Member

thanks everyone, to make it an little easier im going kinda go thru and step by step of the problems

1. an few weeks ago car, after the car was driven an few times around the block, it started making an strange grinding noise when started up, sounded like blades sliding together. It sounded like the noise was coming from the rear and the noise at first would do it most of the time but then as weeks went by it graduially went away but ocasionaly it would make the noise but when it would do it, it was much quiter. It also, when the problem first started, if it wouldnt make the noise, sometimes it would then be an bit in delay of starting, but i havent had that really in an week or so.

2. yesterday, car was driven an few times again around the block and each time the car was started, there was no noise untill the last time we went around the block i put in the rear about 120lbs of jacking equipment and when the car started it made the metal noise slightly and after an few seconds of driving the car started making an metal to metal rattiling noise, like something metal under the car was dragging on the ground.

anyhow, could the starter be the problem? Iv recently installed the starter and didnt shim it but it hasnt caused any problems otherwise. But it seems the noise is coming from the right rear, maybe not exactly the right but its defintly coming from the rear.

So if its the axle bearings, do i need to drop the whole rear end? How long does the procedure of doing the whole thing ususally take? Am i better of swapping in an ls1 rear end if it is the axle bearings? Thanks.
Old 08-07-2010, 03:34 PM

thanks everyone, to make it an little easier im going kinda go thru and step by step of the problems

1. an few weeks ago car, after the car was driven an few times around the block, it started making an strange grinding noise when started up, sounded like blades sliding together. It sounded like the noise was coming from the rear and the noise at first would do it most of the time but then as weeks went by it graduially went away but ocasionaly it would make the noise but when it would do it, it was much quiter. It also, when the problem first started, if it wouldnt make the noise, sometimes it would then be an bit in delay of starting, but i havent had that really in an week or so.

2. yesterday, car was driven an few times again around the block and each time the car was started, there was no noise untill the last time we went around the block i put in the rear about 120lbs of jacking equipment and when the car started it made the metal noise slightly and after an few seconds of driving the car started making an metal to metal rattiling noise, like something metal under the car was dragging on the ground.

anyhow, could the starter be the problem? Iv recently installed the starter and didnt shim it but it hasnt caused any problems otherwise. But it seems the noise is coming from the right rear, maybe not exactly the right but its defintly coming from the rear.

So if its the axle bearings, do i need to drop the whole rear end? How long does the procedure of doing the whole thing ususally take? Am i better of swapping in an ls1 rear end if it is the axle bearings? Thanks.
No it's not the axle bearing nothing that far back in the car moves except the exhaust. Look for signs of contact on the exhaust, and make sure the heat sheilds arren't loose. if you still cant find it just jack up the car by the back axle, support it with jack stands have someone start it over and over again and look and listen for the sound.

~Couch
Old 08-07-2010, 04:00 PM
Supreme Member

well there is no muffler on the car so no tailpipes either, but i was to thinknig the exhuast, but when i manually move the exhuast pipe or when you start up the car and it doesnt make the noise, the exhuast doesnt even come close to the heat shield. But i did notice an straight line right above the heat shield of where some of the underbody coating was removed, but im not sure if that was from the heat of the exhuast or if its actually from it banging on it.
Old 08-07-2010, 04:01 PM

Years ago, I had a transmission that did that.

It made all kinds of grinding noises at times.

The tranny was rebuilt, and no more grinding.
Old 08-07-2010, 04:09 PM
Supreme Member

well when the car was first bought in the early 90's by my mother, the tranny acted up and got replaced. im not sure if that helps anything though.
Old 08-07-2010, 04:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 91 RS/ QX56/Altima 3.5 SE
Engine: 305
Transmission: AUTO
Axle/Gears: ?

it really sounds like you need to take it to a chop, use the opinions given here as a refference so they dont take you for a ride, and from your answers you don't have the know how so just have check by a mechanic.

good luck
Old 08-07-2010, 05:05 PM
Supreme Member

ya, i need to but i just really dont have the money to. Im have my neighbor see what he thinks (use to drag race/mechanic) it'll be neat if its just the exhuast as i need to replace it anyhow. If its not the exhuast and say its the axle bearings, is the car still safe to drive like just in the driveway?
Old 08-07-2010, 05:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 91 RS/ QX56/Altima 3.5 SE
Engine: 305
Transmission: AUTO
Axle/Gears: ?

I understand you on your monetary condition, if your neighbor can help great, if not well it doesnt sound like this car is a DD so save some money and have checked later on, the only think you should be doing is just started from time to time if this is the case, you car is the one with 27xxx miles right? man.... thats is a rare gem you have there, like i said before if you dont have the know how, wait until you can have it look by someone that does....if is something serious not worth trying to figure out what it is by braking something else by driving it around.
Old 08-07-2010, 06:38 PM
Supreme Member

Thanks, ya moneys tight, i won an few mufflers and was planing on using 1 on the camaro and the other on the durango but it looks like i might have to sell them to pay for whatevers going on. Yep 27k miles on her, i hope stuff didnt always break down on these cars when they were pratically new lol. It would be nice if this is something i could do myself and thats what im hoping, also that it wont be expensive to fix.

Last edited by iroc stangs; 08-07-2010 at 06:41 PM.
Old 08-07-2010, 09:08 PM
On Probation

Stangs............None of your posts make ANY sense at all !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1. Are you hearing noises when the car engine is starting up ????????
OR
2. Are you hearing those grinding noises while the car is moving and driving??????????
Old 08-07-2010, 09:36 PM
Supreme Member

BOTH! i thought i made that point clearly.
Old 08-07-2010, 10:22 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: '87 Camaro
Engine: '92 Carb'd 350
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: factory stock

Start-up rubbing // grinding noise--

Do you have a metal or plastic flexplate gaurd? It's the part that covers the flexplate & torque converter, sometimes ppl take them off when replacing starters & don't take time to reinstall it correctly, if at all.
An incorrect install will cause it to rub the flexplate, eventualy wearing a whole in the gaurd.
Just a thought..
Hopefully your neighbor can help!!
Do a trade with him-- deatail his car for him helping you!! Your older post pics when you did the Durango was great!!

Agree with saving some $ & having it checked by a reputable shop if that doesn't work-out!
Old 08-07-2010, 10:25 PM
Supreme Member

i belive its an plastic guard, black right?
iv actually did an wash on his daily beater, and do occasional jesters for him. and thanks for the comment on the durango!
Old 08-07-2010, 10:37 PM
Supreme Member

Yes, that's what I was referring to.

I also agree some of it may be due to needing a brake job it the rotor ( disc ) is grooved, or if the pads are worn.

Did you ever hear a hi-pitch squeel when slowing & stopping?
Have you forgotten to release the parking brake & driven awhile with it still applied?

( You do good detail work!! )
Old 08-07-2010, 11:31 PM
On Probation

BOTH! i thought i made that point clearly.
NOPE! Your sentence structure and descriptions are sadly lacking!

But we can try and help.....................

My guesses.................You need to shim your starter for the noise while
starting the engine and for the scraping noise while driving and loaded down...........the driveshaft may be scraping the floor.
Old 08-08-2010, 12:28 AM
Supreme Member

their is some squeeling when you brake at an slow speed, like trying to go into the garage their is an bit of sqeaking, no the parking brake was realeast, made sure of it. And thanks!

sonjaab: did i **** you off at some point or another? Excuse me for not having very detailed work, im 13 just so you know.
But why would the noise still be their when driving though?
Old 08-08-2010, 03:36 AM

Car: 1990 IROC-Z 1LE
Engine: 5.7 TPI
Axle/Gears: G92 3.23

This is getting alot farther out of control than it needed to.

Sit in the car
Turn key Noise now? starter noise? If yes then Starter problems, if no:
Start the car
Noise now? If yes Something is loose and rattling, if no:
Put foot on break car in gear. Noise now? if yes:transmission problems, if no:
take foot off brake and on gas. accelerate slowly. Noise now? If yes but constant possible transmission, if noise gets louder and more frequent with speed then rear-end problems.

This is not a complete listing of problems by any means, but it should get you thinking about how to so some troubleshooting. Its difficult if not impossible to troubleshoot something from this side of the screen.
Old 08-08-2010, 10:58 AM
On Probation

Stang.................No not pissed ...just confused by your posts.

13 huh? Then you should be in English class and learning about sentence
structure and composition...................
Old 08-08-2010, 11:32 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1991 Camaro Z28
Engine: 357, Canfield heads, solid roller,
Transmission: Upgraded 03 Cobra T56
Axle/Gears: 9" 3.50 gears and Detroit Locker

You cant even drive on the road at 13 so you got atleast 3 more years to figure the problem out before you can even drive the car.
Old 08-09-2010, 11:46 AM

We are all desparatly trying to help you no one here is mad just frustrated, not with you, but because we cant be there to look at it. If any one of us was there this problem would be a distant memory. You have neglected to do one thing for us though which is the most frustrating part, and that is jack up the car put it on jack stands, have someone start it, and drive it with the wheels in the air, and listen for the noises. You should then be better equiped to talk about where the sound is coming from then we can better tell you whats wrong with it. Without that information at this point it would seem that we are all lost. We can't tell you anything but a guess as to what it might be, and when we do you actually have to go check to see if what we said was actually wrong. If you can't then post pictures, and we can tell you if it's what we said it was. There is no way for us to know if we have already covered the problem unless you go check the car and tell us one way or the other. We're doing what we can for you now we need you to do the same.

~Couch

Last edited by NAASBC355; 08-09-2010 at 06:20 PM.
Old 08-10-2010, 11:48 AM
Supreme Member

Took the car for another ride, and made the same noises again. Well it sounds more of like an rattiling or just like something is dragging on the road. My mother said that the car was kinda jerking and one time made an popping noise up front, she said that it did the same thing as when the original tranny crapped out back in the early 90's.

Also iv always noticed the tranny seems hard to shift, even my neighbor had an problem with pulling back the stick. Not sure if its suppose to be like that or what i just know its MUCH more rougher to shift then our durango's. my mother said its always been harder to shift though.

Also it would make the rattiling noises mostly like when we would hit an pothole or slight bump, so my first 2 thoughts are either exhuast hitting heat shield or tranny/motor mounts. Im hopping exhuast though, remember theres two less hangers being theres no muffler or tailpipes.

Last edited by iroc stangs; 08-10-2010 at 12:00 PM.
Old 08-10-2010, 11:50 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by sonjaab
Stang.................No not pissed ...just confused by your posts.

13 huh? Then you should be in English class and learning about sentence
structure and composition...................
its summer... and i can do much better then what i type on here, here im just rushing and not making sure everythings correct because i though everything was decent enough to read clearly.
Old 08-10-2010, 11:51 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by built91Z28
You cant even drive on the road at 13 so you got atleast 3 more years to figure the problem out before you can even drive the car.
yah, but it doesnt mean we dont want to drive the car BEFORE i turn 16.
Old 08-10-2010, 11:57 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by NAASBC355
We are all desparatly trying to help you no one here is mad just frustrated, not with you, but because we cant be there to look at it. If any one of us was there this problem would be a distant memory. You have neglected to do one thing for us though which is the most frustrating part, and that is jack up the car put it on jack stands, have someone start it, and drive it with the wheels in the air, and listen for the noises. You should then be better equiped to talk about where the sound is coming from then we can better tell you whats wrong with it. Without that information at this point it would seem that we are all lost. We can't tell you anything but a guess as to what it might be, and when we do you actually have to go check to see if what we said was actually wrong. If you can't then post pictures, and we can tell you if it's what we said it was. There is no way for us to know if we have already covered the problem unless you go check the car and tell us one way or the other. We're doing what we can for you now we need you to do the same.

~Couch

I actually did just that, i put the car is an few diffrent gears with the rear wheels up in the air and there was no more then an slight scrapping which i belive is just from the pads. i didnt recall someone telling me to check if there are noises with the car jacked up, so sorry.
Old 08-10-2010, 12:24 PM
Supreme Member

got back under the car, everything looks normal but iv noticed on the driveshaft, that around the middle of it there is an clean ring that looks like someone took an rag with polish and made an perfect circle around the driveshaft and then there are some other spots that are slightly clear of rust, i'll get the pics/vids in a sec.

Name:  driveshaft062.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  78.6 KB

Name:  driveshaft061.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  74.7 KB

Name:  driveshaft060.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  65.6 KB

Also the car leaks coolant like out of the sensor? that is on the tube that the radiatior cap goes on (sorry i dont know the actuall name, just along the side of the radiator) as long as it isnt leaking an WHOLE lot, is this not an problem?

Last edited by iroc stangs; 08-10-2010 at 12:55 PM.
Old 08-10-2010, 12:33 PM
Supreme Member

Hard to move the shifter--

Check the cable connection that is ( supposed to be ) bolted to the trans pan on the drivers side.

OK, now just for piece of mind, do another basic check under the car--

**BE SMART BE SAFE** Use jack stands.
Check for something like a piece of metal like a thick wire, clothes hanger or some odd piece of metal, some thing wrapped on the drive shaft, or trapped in the wheels between the wheels & break calipers.

( edit )
HA HA I see you got some pix up as I was typing!!
That could be a part of it or most of it!!

Agree with prior advice--

If you can, post pix of all your rotors with the wheels off.

Last edited by t-top havoc; 08-10-2010 at 12:43 PM.
Old 08-10-2010, 12:53 PM
Supreme Member

what do you mean part or most of it? do you mean of the whole problem im having? are you meaning the driveshaft is crapped? sorry i dont quite get what you mean (im slow lol)

well im positive the noise isnt coming from the front and i alredy did the procedure of having the wheels in the air and the car in gear and their was no noise from the wheels.

also i hear and slight popping noise in the cat, is this an problem? the cat was replaced YEARS ago but the car barely had any miles after it was installed.

Last edited by iroc stangs; 08-10-2010 at 12:57 PM.
Old 08-10-2010, 12:58 PM

Car: 1984 camaro Z28
Engine: 355 SBC
Transmission: 700 r-4
Axle/Gears: Strange 3:73 posi

in your 3rd pic is the drive shaft above that is you ebrake cables and when you loaded all the "jacking stuff" in the back it was rubbing , there's that problem . The noise you describe at start up is as others have said is the starter was not put in right I'm thinking missing teeth on the flywheel if it were a shim problem it would do it more often , missing teeth will only do it when it just so happened to land on those teeth. As for the squealing at low speed like pulling in the garage could be bad pads or just rust on the rotors from sitting you would be surprised how fast brakes get surface rust on them. To help you out with posting just write what is going on with some good description but if you don't know what it is don't say it just describe the symptoms. Hope this helps you a little good luck.
Old 08-10-2010, 01:12 PM
Supreme Member

so you think the problem is the missing/bad teeth on the flywheel? will i need an new flywheel then? so does the flywheel move also when the car moves? So what should i do for now, i cant afford parts really, so if i shim the starter do you think the problem will go away or am i already screwed?

Im thinkng the squealing is just rusty rotors to, it usually only does it when i recently washed the car so it makes sense. Thanks for your help!

heres an bad vid, not sure if it helps or not.
Old 08-10-2010, 01:22 PM
On Probation

From looking at the pic of the driveshaft I can see your "scraping noise while
driving complaint" problem.
It is obvious that the driveshaft is rubbing on something...............................
Old 08-10-2010, 01:25 PM
Supreme Member

i looked though and it didnt look like anything was near touching it though? should i put some weight in the car kinda to "imitate" me as im 200lbs? it would kinda make sense that the problem could be something rubbing against the driveshaft.
Old 08-10-2010, 01:56 PM
Supreme Member

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Car: 87 IROC Z28
Engine: 355 cid TPI
Transmission: Custom Built 700R4 w/3,500 stall
Axle/Gears: QP fab 9" 3.70 Truetrac

Your parking brake cable adjuster is rubbing on your driveshaft. The cable either has excessive slack or has come loose from one of its guides. Adjust, reattach, or replace the cable as needed. Note: Its common on older vehicles for the cable to become tight and/or dry in the housings leading to each rear wheel. Often the cable can be freed with a good penetrating lubricant. Other times the cable needs to be replaced. This tightness or resistance to movement can cause the cable to hang slack when the parking brake is released.

Quick Reply: Dear god please help me...