Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Engine Chugging problems/ clutch slipping? help

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 07:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1986 Camaro Z28
Engine: 400 chevy small block
Transmission: 5spd
Engine Chugging problems/ clutch slipping? help

So I took my car out the garage for the summer for a drive from Minnesota to Indiana.
I notice that when I gave the car gas it seemed to chug(like I was pumping the gas on and off while driving). I first thought that I just needed to warm up the car. It went away for a while, but now its happening again.
Even when the car is warm its like my clutch is slipping.

When the clutch is in or in neutral and I rev it up, everything is smooth.

I though it might be the gas problem with my valve not opening on the 3rd and 4th barrel on the carb. After a full can of carb cleaner, probably not it.

With all the stopping and going on the highways around chicago, I think I might have warn my clutch out. Could it be the clutch slipping?

I know some basics on motor work, but I not enough to know what could be causing this inside the block.

I also thought about possibly something in my ignition or distributor cap.

Any comments or suggestions of what my problem might be would be great. I don't have a garage down here and only a scissor jack so getting underneath the car or major motor work is not a possibility until i get back to Minnesota.

Thanks,
North
Old 08-12-2010, 09:01 PM

Car: 1992 z28 Purple Haze
Engine: 5.7L Tuned Port Injection
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.23 both spinning
Re: Engine Chugging problems/ clutch slipping? help

Check to see if your EGR valve is functioning properly.
Old 08-18-2010, 05:38 PM

Car: 1986 Camaro Z28
Engine: 400 chevy small block
Transmission: 5spd

I looked into the systems of a EGR valve stuck open and it definitely sounds like what the jerking problem is.

Problem is where is it? I found a few pictures of an OEM replacement for a 74 chevy 400 small block. I still can't find it. From what the guy at autozone said it should be right on top on the manifold. I think it might be bypassed, because we couldn't see it anywhere.

Any other thoughts or suggestions?
Old 08-18-2010, 07:22 PM

Car: 1992 z28 Purple Haze
Engine: 5.7L Tuned Port Injection
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.23 both spinning

If your motor isn't the stock motor, it may not have an EGR valve. I see where your motor is a 400 small block, and is carbed. The intake you have may not have an EGR provision, so therefore none would be on it. If it does have an EGR provision and is blocked off, you would be able to see the plate. It should be to the passenger side of the intake near the rear. This being said, if it isn't there or is blanked off it pretty much puts you back to square one.

I highly doubt it is the clutch because usually when they start slipping, it is a constant thing, like revving without responsive acceleration.