Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Help me decide on what engine to build

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 02:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 96 Firebird T-Top
Engine: 3.8L V6
Transmission: Automatic
Help me decide on what engine to build

Hey guys since Ive made my choice on what bodystyle I want to pick up for a roller project I need to decide what engine I want as Ill be having that built first so I have more time to find a good clean body to work with. My goal is 500-600hp, Budget would be in the $7,000 range. So what do you guys would think makes a unique build?

LS1

My goal is to have a somewhat unique swap that isnt being done all the time. If I chose the 350 it would most likely get blown. Both the 350 and 454 would be carb'd.
Old 04-01-2011, 09:39 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1984 Z28 Hardtop
Engine: 383 Carb
Transmission: 4L60
Axle/Gears: 3.54 Dana 44
Re: Help me decide on what engine to build

Nothing about any of those is unique in any way.
Old 04-01-2011, 09:44 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SEMPERFIDELIS
Hey guys since Ive made my choice on what bodystyle I want to pick up for a roller project I need to decide what engine I want as Ill be having that built first so I have more time to find a good clean body to work with. My goal is 500-600hp, Budget would be in the $7,000 range. So what do you guys would think makes a unique build?

LS1

My goal is to have a somewhat unique swap that isnt being done all the time. If I chose the 350 it would most likely get blown. Both the 350 and 454 would be carb'd.
have you used the search feature? Your question is quite commonly asked by newbs.

if your goal is a 500HP-600HP engine then go buy one. Go to racingjunk.com and you can pick up an already built engine, put it on a stand and show everyone the 600HP engine.

When stating a goal, you need to state what the goal of the entire package is. I've seen lesser powered vehicles win races at the strip because it was a well built combination.

I do assume that this is a strip only build; correct? So, are you looking for low 12's, low 11's, high 10's ?

you then will get suggestions about weight reduction, suspension, drive train, tires and finally; engine.

Also, is there a particular class that you want to target to run?

If your track is 1/8 mile then you might want to consider spray vs FI.
Old 04-01-2011, 05:07 PM

Actually a weekend street car. I wasnt looking for a unique engine per-say, but was more curious on which is swapped the least, or used the least. The end goal is a more all around car, the power is kind of overkill but being my first roller project, as apposed to buying a running car and modding, I want to make it a nice showpiece with wire-tucking etc. Obviously the drivetrain will be built to handle the power. 500-600 is just a starting number. I planned on picking an engine, then finding a good combo parts list for it and seeing where I land when the dust settles.

side note: sorry about not using the search, Im still getting used to sites that feature works on. The Firebird forum Im on for my DD has a horrible search lol.
Old 04-01-2011, 05:16 PM

Car: 1989 Firebird Formula 350
Engine: 5.7l
Transmission: 700r4 New Rebuilt 2011
Axle/Gears: 9 Bolt

also keep your eye on craigslist for someone who has built an engine and changes their mind and goes another route.
Old 04-01-2011, 05:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would find an LQ4 or an LQ9 6.0 out of a newer GM truck. Cam it up, put some LS3 heads on it, a set of stainless works longtube headers and a carb intake. It would be pretty boss and dependable. And later if you want some more power you have room for expansion. Like a stroker kit.
Old 04-02-2011, 02:20 AM

Originally Posted by Benjam88
I would find an LQ4 or an LQ9 6.0 out of a newer GM truck. Cam it up, put some LS3 heads on it, a set of stainless works longtube headers and a carb intake. It would be pretty boss and dependable. And later if you want some more power you have room for expansion. Like a stroker kit.
Actually doesnt sound like a bad idea. Thanks.
Old 04-02-2011, 03:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are gonna go the automatic route you can use a 700r4, all you will need is an adapter flex. The bolt pattern is VERY similar and is actually only one bolt hole that is different. You can have it drilled or just ignore it, it won't cause a problem.

http://www.jegs.com/p/JEGS-Performan...18379/10002/-1

This intake and MSD box will get you on the carb path. For some extra dough you can get a Victor JR carb intake as well. You will also need a TV bracket on your carb.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Edelbr...ign=GoogleBase

You will also need an F body oil pan (Ebay) and depending on what vehicle you get the motor out of, you might need to swap your accessory brackets (Again Ebay) If you want to go a cheaper route on the headers then find some 4th gen F body shorty headers.
Old 04-02-2011, 03:41 AM

Thanks for the info, I was actually hoping to find a 5 or 6-speed to bolt up to what ever engine I use. I typically only like automatic in my DD's because of the amount of driving I do some days.