Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Engine needs re-build, and more power, any suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 05:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1983 Camaro Z28
Engine: 383
Transmission: TKO 600
Axle/Gears: Strange S60
Re: Engine needs re-build, and more power, any suggestions?

The car is ready to start, however when I connect the battery, the starter engages.
Not sure if this helps, but I wired for an electric fan. Also I had to run a tap down the positive post on the solenoid, when I did that the post turned a bit. I heard that is bad, could that cause this problem? I wouldn't think so since power shouldnt be getting to the solenoid without the ignition switch on. How could I test this?
Old 09-11-2011, 12:46 AM

After many issues including carb rebuild, oil pressure gauge not working, and other small stuff, I FINALLY got it running and drove it today! At first it did not run well because my "time by ear" method needs to be re-calibrated. I set initial timing about 18 or 20 degrees so total should be 32-34. I then drove it for a solid hour and it ran pretty well. I had to adjust the idle here and there. For the most part the temp stayed down. A few times it started to creep up but then caught itself. I ended up getting a flat tire at 11pm... luckily it was in a shaws parking lot that was OPEN and had fix-a-flat. Made it home successfully.

After all the time I spent removing, building, installing, and troubleshooting, it is very satisfying to hear and drive that thing. I call SUCCESS!!!!
Old 09-11-2011, 02:11 AM
Supreme Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1984 Trans Am
Engine: LS1383 in work
Transmission: Magnum F
Axle/Gears: Zexel Torsen 3.73, 28-spline mosers

Congrats on getting it running! LOL I love how satisfying it is when things finally come together!

On the downside, since you used fix-a-flat, you've just made an enemy of every tire changing place on that planet. I worked at sears and we had to use a specific procedure to remove the tire or we risked it exploding on us. lol that stuff is NASTY! hahaha
Old 09-12-2011, 11:46 AM

Shoulda known better than to claim victory. Some how, some way, the tip of my dipstick got tangled with the crank and broke into a bunch of pieces. I'm going to look at the oil after work (its at a dealer) and see if any of the pieces don't look like they are from the dipstick. The engine was running fine, so I know it didn't throw a rod or anything crazy.
Old 11-22-2011, 09:24 AM

The dealer did an oil change and found a bunch of ground up chunks, so I did another 3 oil changes in the parking lot. I then found the side of my car all scraped and dinged up. The dealer doesn't know how it happened (I'm sure it was a dumbass tech), but they are paying for it.

I then found that the passenger cylinder head was messed up. The rocker studs were dripped a quarter inch off of there location. Took it off, sent it back, got another under warranty which was good. So as of now the car is running good. Probably have 10 hrs on it. Pulls pretty hard. Much much faster than before, and I haven't even brought it over 5500rpm... I will make some more pulls this week at higher rpm's and check my plugs and try to tune it a little better.
Old 11-22-2011, 12:10 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 88 Camaro SC
Engine: SFI'd 350
Transmission: TKO 500
Axle/Gears: 9-bolt w/ 3.23's

Makes me wonder what the dipstick got caught up in. Im sure it scored teh crank counterwights and block, but hopefully it didnt make it up into the piston skirts or in between the rods where it can do some damage. What kind of dipstick was it? How bad was it ground up? The factory ones are almost like spring steel, and are pretty hard.
Old 11-22-2011, 11:22 PM
Supreme Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Car: 1992 Camaro RS
Engine: Vortec headed 355, xe262
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 9-bolt 3.70

Originally Posted by brodysZ28
I then found that the passenger cylinder head was messed up. The rocker studs were dripped a quarter inch off of there location. Took it off, sent it back, got another under warranty which was good.
What brand heads did you end up with? And what do you mean the rocker studs dripped a quarter inch?

The dipstick thing is alarming, but as long as the oil is clean now and the coolant is clean whatever damage happened is there and a fact of life. It's up to you whether you want to pull it out and look at it, but I think I'd just run it.
Old 11-24-2011, 06:04 PM

Yea I mean the only thing could be the crank, but I don not understand that since it never did that for 3 years with the same bottom end and dipstick. It was ground up to powder/beadblast media size. It was this one.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MIL-22005/

Whoops "dripped" was supposed to be "drilled"... and believe it or not, they are Pro Comp heads. I know... hard to believe right!? If the damage is done, its done. So if im going to take it apart again I might as well make certain that theres really damage by just watching my oil pressure.
Old 11-24-2011, 06:22 PM

Heres what the engine is looking like. I am pretty happy with it considering the before pictures earlier in the thread. But I do have a question for you guys. Does the porcelin of this plug show signs of detonation to you? I'm getting the detonation sound but not like I have ever heard before. Only at 2800rpm and up. Pretty much unrelated to load. 100 octane made no difference. Retarding the timing all the way till it fell on its face made no difference. This is leading me to think it is actually the tranny since it does sound like its coming through the shift boot anyway. 11.06:1 c/r.... and there is NO WAY it should be lean since the demon 750 has massive 82/88 jets in it. I am going to slim those down as I make sure everything else is good. I know the timing is up there but i read guys running higher, and my quench was right at .040"
Attached Thumbnails Engine needs re-build, and more power, any suggestions?-photo-1-2-.jpg   Engine needs re-build, and more power, any suggestions?-photo-2-2-.jpg   Engine needs re-build, and more power, any suggestions?-photo-3.jpg  
Old 11-25-2011, 05:47 AM
Supreme Member

That sounds like a mechanical issue if its load independant. Likely something in the trans, or maybe flywheel related. Possible its also the engine as well.

Does it do it in neutral, all gears, only just one gear? Where does the sound come from? Might want to run it on a lift so you can isolate the source of the noise.
Old 11-25-2011, 05:49 AM
Supreme Member

As for the dipstick, the fact that its one of those flexible ones explains why it got sucked into the crank. The dipstick basically points whichever way the tube does. If its off to the side, then the dipstick will also be off-center when its inserted down into the engine. It can also move around since the braided tube can flex.

The best are the standard steel tube types, as they will keep the dipstick centered between the counterweights where it belongs.

Edit: what di the end of the dipstick look like? Was it sort of smeared like it had been sheared off, or did it have the appearance of a clean break?

Last edited by dimented24x7; 11-25-2011 at 05:56 AM.
Old 11-26-2011, 12:35 PM

Yea, thats what I was thinking about the trans. It would be something with the input shaft or synchros I would think because it is every gear. And the exact rpm every time. In neutral it doesnt make the marble sound, BUT I can hear a distinct sound change at the same rpm. Kind of like a whooshing noise. It does sound like it is coming from the shifter boot. I drove it for a couple days with the interior boot off, and it was louder.

I attached a couple pics of the dipstick. The thing isn't really flexible. It is much like a piece of welding rod. Malleable, but will hold its shape. I have a stock type in there now. On the stick you can see where the crank/rod/whatever was smacking it at a very slight angle, then a fairly clean break. Kind of resembles a cast piece that was broken. Slightly rough.
Attached Thumbnails Engine needs re-build, and more power, any suggestions?-photo-1.jpg   Engine needs re-build, and more power, any suggestions?-photo-2.jpg   Engine needs re-build, and more power, any suggestions?-photo-3.jpg