Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

2.8 owners please help with vacuum lines

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 09:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2.8 owners please help with vacuum lines

i have an 86 firebird with an 89 2.8 engine and all my vacuum hoses fell apart. if someone could please help me with pictures or just tell me which lines go where id really appreciate it. i bought the car knowing the vacuum lines were shot but as ive been working around them the plastic pieces and the hoses are just falling apart.

the first picture i dont know whats supposed to be connected to this but its broken. it looks like its coming from the pcv valve. it also splits off to a valve cover and i think the fuel pressure regulator?

the second picture is the evap canister. the hose to the left is all set. the piece on the right, honestly not sure what it is is broken. the top piece where the hose connects is broken off, you can see if you look close. what can i do about that, and what is supposed to connect there? the hose underneath that is also not connected to anything as you can see.

the next picture is the set of hoses that are supposed to be connected to the cannister. im not sure what goes where. i have two more pictures to post also.
Attached Thumbnails 2.8 owners please help with vacuum lines-image1.jpg   2.8 owners please help with vacuum lines-image3.jpg   2.8 owners please help with vacuum lines-image5.jpg  
Old 06-30-2011, 09:43 PM

Re: 2.8 owners please help with vacuum lines

this is a picture of a broken piece on the set of hoses for the evap cannister. it looks like a piece that i can easily get from work. of course the most important picture of the egr fpr and the vac regulator wont upload. any instruction on what hoses are supposed to connect to what would be great. i understand whats what, i just cant figure out where to put the evap hoses by the diagram. thanks
Attached Thumbnails 2.8 owners please help with vacuum lines-image4.jpg  
Old 06-30-2011, 10:05 PM

Oh hell! If you would have posted this 2 days sooner...I just got done putting my '86 back together. Maybe I can get pics tomorrow night, but I'm not pulling my upper intake manifold back off just for pics. Only if there's a problem.
Old 06-30-2011, 11:19 PM

Anything you could do would help.. Even if I can get one line set up. Thanks a lot
Old 07-01-2011, 02:30 PM

In your first pic, I have no clue.
Second pic is easy.
That round thing coming out the top of the canister, that has a small upper and a large lower? That is running behind the a/c compressor. The small upper Ts up to a connection to the top rear of the TB, driver's side.
The bigger lower one runs along the valley side of the driver's VC, then Ts into the PCV. That T for the PCV is really an x, it has 3 larger branches. One hoes to the LIM, one goes to the PCV valve in the rear of the driver's VC, and one runs along the fuel lines to the front of the plenum, then connects to the TB. That might be your first pic, but yours looks too small and too short, and bent wrong.
Back to the tiny stuff...
On top of the TB, the tiny middle one goes to the FPR. That left one, where it Ts, it goes to that thing behind the EGR valve, top port. The lower port goes to the EGR valve, and the MAP sensor.
Your third pic, your Image 5, that pic seems to be mirrored. Flipped. Whatever. Yes?

Last edited by ronnjonn; 07-01-2011 at 02:46 PM.
Old 07-01-2011, 02:40 PM

Picture five is not flipped. The that's the same view of the cannister as my other picture but I was really just trying to get a picture of the evap hoses, they currently aren't attached to anything. The picture in my second post shows that the plastic piece is broken also. Those hoses are the main reason I can't figure it out following the diagram. I can't figure out what the diagram depicts as which hose there because it doesn't look like what I have in front of me. I have to get out there and try and do it the way you explained. Also, regarding the first pic, it looks like the line that runs along the fuel lines to the front is still attached to the throttle body

Last edited by dustierdog; 07-01-2011 at 03:54 PM.
Old 07-01-2011, 07:09 PM

Just for the record my evap canister is on the passenger side. I'm wondering if yours is different and that's why you though it was a mirror image.

The plastic line from picture 1 comes up from the Pcv valve. It comes out of the x. One line coming out of the x goes to the driver side valve cover and the other line out of the x runs along the fuel lines up to the front where it splits off to the bottom fpr connection and throttle body. I think that's right but does that help in figuring out what pic 1 is supposed to connect to? I feel like one of the evap hoses goes to it, not sure. I capped it off and with help from ronnjonn I at least have it running again without it revving up and down.

My evap hoses are still attached to what I think is the purge solenoid, you can see in one of the pictures. I need to either eliminate my evap or figure out what goes where. Does anyone have a pic of their lines coming out of the evap? Thanks

Thank you to anyone who reads through this nonsense and tries to help me out. I can't wait to get my car running again! I appreciate it so so much

Last edited by dustierdog; 07-01-2011 at 07:40 PM.
Old 07-01-2011, 07:50 PM

Mine's an '86 Camaro 2.8 ( now 3.4, but that won't matter ) and my canister is on the driver's side.
I can get more pics, and help with the routing of the other hoses at the canister.
But first, now that I know your canister is on the passenger side, it occurred to me to wonder if the mystery hose in your first pic might be the one that's supposed to go to the not-tiny lower port, the not-top-level of the round fitting atop the canister?
Sorry if I'm confusing.
I'm tired and dehydrated, even with a cold sports drink in my hand.
I hate to make you wait for tomorrow, but I'm running on empty.
Old 07-01-2011, 07:59 PM

no, i understand exactly what you said. youre saying the lower connection on the round thing on my cannister may be the one that connects to my mystery plastic line coming over the top of the intake manifold? before i can connect this stuff i'm definitely going to need a canister. everything broke off of it. ugh!
and dont even worry about making me wait til tomorrow. i really appreciate you helping me out like this. i capped off my "mystery" line and did everything else the way you said and now it at least runs which i am grateful for haha. besides i dont mind waiting til tomorrow because im working on the car in my yard.. its dark now and the mosquitoes are everywhere haha. so hey thanks again you helped me so much. hopefully we'll get it sorted out
Old 07-16-2011, 05:49 PM

Did you find a replacement canister yet?
Old 07-29-2011, 12:44 PM

Nope. I never even got my hoses sorted back out. I think I got everything set up right, but I just capped the evap stuff. Check engine lights on, but I don't care. Seems to be running just fine