Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

How to I read check engine codes?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 10:27 PM

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
How to I read check engine codes?

Hi,
I have a 1990 Firebird with 305 TBI engine and am having a problem with pinging only on acceleration once the engine warms up.
The check engine light comes on periodically.

How do I retrieve the engine code?
The following users liked this post:
1990Camarorss (07-25-2022)
Old 08-31-2011, 10:42 PM

Received 120 Likes on 101 Posts
Car: 87 IROC L98
Engine: 588 Alcohol BBC
Transmission: Powerglide
Axle/Gears: Ford 9"/31 spline spool/4.86
Re: How to I read check engine codes?

A simple paperclip in the OBD port can retrieve flash codes.
Old 08-31-2011, 10:54 PM

Where is the OBD board and where do I install the paperclip? My previous firebird was a second gen so I'm new to this.
Also how are "flash codes" read?
Old 09-01-2011, 12:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 89 camaro
Engine: 5.7 from an 89 blazer
Transmission: 700r4

LMFAO lol
Old 09-01-2011, 08:44 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JimRockford
Where is the OBD board and where do I install the paperclip? My previous firebird was a second gen so I'm new to this.
Also how are "flash codes" read?
yes, the answer is easy to find with search however I will type it for you and ask in the future that you be patient with others who won't use the search feature

the ALDL port (assembly line diagnostic link) is located above your right knee when you are in the drivers seat.

You want to take a paper clip and jumper the top 2 right pins together. Then, turn your key to "run" but do not start the car.

the CEL (check engine light) should blink once, and then twice which is code 12 or that it's in diag mode. It will do that 3 times and if there is another code, it will then flash the code such as blink 4 times and then 3 times. That is a code 43. it would do that 3 times. If there is another code it will then blink for that code. if there are no more codes, it will revert back to the 12 and blink that again

you then shut off the key, remove the paper clip and SEARCH for the codes as they have all been discussed many many many times on this as well as other sites. The newest 3rd gen is now 20 years old so feel confident that all the codes have been discussed exhaustively.
The following users liked this post:
Kry (07-04-2019)
Old 09-01-2011, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by jreyes916
LMFAO lol
Hey,A paperclip is cheaper than a scan tool.

Last edited by JimRockford; 09-01-2011 at 12:22 PM.
Old 09-01-2011, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by torque_is_good
yes, the answer is easy to find with search however I will type it for you and ask in the future that you be patient with others who won't use the search feature

the ALDL port (assembly line diagnostic link) is located above your right knee when you are in the drivers seat.

You want to take a paper clip and jumper the top 2 right pins together. Then, turn your key to "run" but do not start the car.

the CEL (check engine light) should blink once, and then twice which is code 12 or that it's in diag mode. It will do that 3 times and if there is another code, it will then flash the code such as blink 4 times and then 3 times. That is a code 43. it would do that 3 times. If there is another code it will then blink for that code. if there are no more codes, it will revert back to the 12 and blink that again

you then shut off the key, remove the paper clip and SEARCH for the codes as they have all been discussed many many many times on this as well as other sites. The newest 3rd gen is now 20 years old so feel confident that all the codes have been discussed exhaustively.

Thanks for the helpful information.I didnt think about using the "search" option,and didnt know if this had already been covered here or not.

Personally I dont care for all the electronic B.S. modern cars have,but you have to take the good with the bad,and these cars have a very nice body style,much better than the firebirds that came after.

Second gen firebirds don't have this setup so I don't know much about it.

Last edited by JimRockford; 09-01-2011 at 12:23 PM.
Old 09-01-2011, 12:28 PM
Supreme Member

Thanks for the helpful information.I didnt think about using the "search" option,and didnt know if this had already been covered here or not.

Personally I dont care for all the electronic B.S. modern cars have,but you have to take the good with the bad,and these cars have a very nice body style,much better than the firebirds that came after.

Second gen firebirds don't have this setup so I don't know much about it.
I'll take moder technology any day of the week over the "good ole days"

Heck, 302 cubic inches on Premium gas makes over 420HP and delivers 25-30 mpg on the highway and will drive all day without overheating.

With respect to the 4th gen birds, yes on the 93-97's but the WS6 98-2002 look awesome
Old 09-01-2011, 12:36 PM

"Torue_is_Good",
Well,to each his own.personally I prefer late 1950's cars,no smog crap,no fuel pump in the tank nightmares,no plastic dashes and airbags,no ecms and plenty of room in the engine compartment to work.. and they get decent fuel economy too even with a V8.
google "Mobilgas economy run".

There are SUV's today that get far worse mileage. But everyone likes different things.

I agree with you some fourth gens are ok,but they got too plasticky (composite fenders),plus i dont care for the design,they are too rounded outside and cramped inside for my tastes and even the best looking of them isnt as sleek as a third gen.
To me the fourth gens were a step backwards.

I dont care for the new camaros either,they are much to tall and slab sided and square looking,and it isnt the suspensions fault,its the design of the body.
GM deliberatly designed the body to stand taller off the ground because people complained about how low the third gens sat.
They aped Chrylser and simply raised the door sheet metal height and made the windows smaller to give the illusion the roofline is low,this is the same trick Chrysler started with Charger,those magnum wagons,they also carried it over to the challenger.

I saw a 1970 Challenger side by side with a modern one and it was a joke how blocky and tall the new one looked.

Next time you're in a parking lot try and park next to a modern camaro or mustang see how much taller it is than your third gen.

Last edited by JimRockford; 09-02-2011 at 10:05 PM.
Old 09-01-2011, 12:56 PM

Car: 87 z28 stock
Engine: 305 tpi

GM Check Engine light Codes without a Scan Tool

plenty of info here for you jim. i agree about the new camaros and chargers. i think Chrysler did a good job on the challenger though.
Old 09-01-2011, 02:15 PM
Supreme Member

"Torue_is_Good",
Well,to each his own.personally I prefer late 1950's cars,no smog crap,no fuel pump in the tank nightmares,no plastic dashes and airbags,no ecms and plenty of room in the engine compartment to work.. and they get decent fuel economy too even with a V8.
google "Mobilgas economy run".

There are SUV's today that get far worse mileage. But everyone likes different things.

I agree with you some fourth gens are ok,but they got too plasticky (composite fenders),rounded and cramped inside for my tastes and even the best looking of them isnt as sleek as a third gen.
To me the fourth gens were a step backwards.

I dont care for the new camaros either,they are much to tall and slab sided and square looking,and it isnt the suspensions fault,its the design of the body.
GM deliberatly designed the body to stand taller off the ground because people complained about how low the third gens sat.
They aped Chrylser and simply raised the door sheet metal height and made the windows smaller to give the illusion the roofline is low,this is the same trick Chrysler started with Charger,those magnum wagons,they also carried it over to the challenger.

I saw a 1970 Challenger side by side with a modern one and it was a joke how blocky and tall the new one looked.

Next time you're in a parking lot try and park next to a modern camaro or mustang see how much taller it is than your third gen.
I was discussing modern technology such as variable cam timing, direct injection etc which are all wonderful things.

With respect to lines of the vehicles, I can compare an S197 (new stang) to a 3rd and 4th gen each day in my driveway. My favorite look is the 3rd gen followed by the S197 and then 4th gen.

But, if I could have any restored vehicle, make mine a 1968 Hemi GTX. I've always been a Mopar guy but chevy's are cheaper to modify.
Old 09-01-2011, 07:58 PM

Received 120 Likes on 101 Posts
Car: 87 IROC L98
Engine: 588 Alcohol BBC
Transmission: Powerglide
Axle/Gears: Ford 9"/31 spline spool/4.86

Modern EFI systems can make a little more power than older carbed systems did but the major improvement they have over the older vehicles is emission pollution. A properly tunned older vehicle can have low emissions as well, just not as low as a newer vehicle. Problem is, many of the older vehicles are in dire need of a good tuneup. Distributors wear out, carbs wear out, etc.

I hate new vehicles that when one simple sensor or wires to it go bad, the engine runs like crap or won't even start. Makes diagnosing them even more difficult.
Old 09-02-2011, 09:32 PM

Hey,A paperclip is cheaper than a scan tool.
hey i know its cheaper iv never heard that befor so i kinda laughed when they said a paper clip so did you try it out yet let me know when you do
Old 09-02-2011, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by AlkyIROC
Modern EFI systems can make a little more power than older carbed systems did but the major improvement they have over the older vehicles is emission pollution. A properly tunned older vehicle can have low emissions as well, just not as low as a newer vehicle. Problem is, many of the older vehicles are in dire need of a good tuneup. Distributors wear out, carbs wear out, etc.

I hate new vehicles that when one simple sensor or wires to it go bad, the engine runs like crap or won't even start. Makes diagnosing them even more difficult.

Yeah,I know what you mean about sensors and things that make modern cars a nightmare.

as far as emissions of new vs. old cars,many modern cars have higher emmisions that older cars.
You'd be surprised at how clean a properly tuned late 50's car will run.

There have been several magazines such as Hot Rod,etc that have tested the emissions of 1957-59 Chevys,Chryslers etc and found they ran as clean as modern cars.
Remember they also ran leaded fuel in the "old days" which they dont anymore.

In all honesty,I'm not a hippie so I dont care about emissions anyway,nor do I want to drive a plastic rollerskate on wheels because it gets 35 mpg.there is no good reason gas costs what it does and electric cars arent the answer.
Honestly this while "go green" thing gets on my nerves.
I've always taken care of my cars,they dont blow oil and arent abused.
I do see many modern cars especially ricers blowing oil out the tailpipe everytime they pull away from a light,I wonder how they get around smog tests?

Last edited by JimRockford; 09-02-2011 at 10:55 PM.
Old 09-02-2011, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by jreyes916
hey i know its cheaper iv never heard that befor so i kinda laughed when they said a paper clip so did you try it out yet let me know when you do
I'll try it this weekend and see how it goes!
Old 09-02-2011, 10:45 PM

cool man let me know thanks
Old 06-15-2019, 10:37 PM

Car: 1991 Camaro RS
Engine: 305 T.B.I.

Ya I would like to know on this paperclip thing as well so I can check my codes. My 1991 Camaro RS 305 tbi has always had the check engine light on since we got the car and i would like to know why.
Old 06-16-2019, 12:10 PM
Sponsor

Received 644 Likes on 569 Posts
Car: 1967 Camaro, 91 z28
Engine: Lb9
Transmission: M20
Axle/Gears: J65 pbr on stock posi 10bolt

Look at the link on post #10