Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

First Build: Project White Thunder

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 05:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1986 Camaro IROC Z28
Engine: 5.0L 305 TPI
First Build: Project White Thunder

Hello future advisers!

If this thread is in the wrong section someone please tell me or a moderator move it. Thanks!

I have a 1986 Camaro IROC-Z. I call this project White Thunder because my car is white and I plan on it being quite a rumbler when done.

Right now it has a 305 in it but I am going to be building up a 350 to put in there.

The start:

350 sbc from a '91 Chevy Silverado (No Longer own)
I will be purchasing a running 350 motor from a family friend's auto shop.

The Project:

Tear the motor down to just the block and then take a while to build it up myself.

Finished Product:

I want this motor to be mildly built. It can't be an extreme beast right now because I just had my 700r4 rebuilt in the car last summer and I can't exactly get another whole transmission just yet, so I need the motor to be powerful but not powerful enough to tear up the transmission.

The motor needs to look good and something I would be happy to show around saying I built this.

I am still unsure of Carb or EFI or maybe even TPI it back up. (doubting TPI if I am doing full rebuild)

I planned on keeping it a 350, but if you guys think stroking it out to a 383 would be worth while since I am stripping it all down to the block let me know.

Lastly, on the side I am planning on getting a new rear-end for the car. Right now it is a one wheeler peeler. I'd like to get a posi in it and disc brakes too if that isn't too much to ask.

Why am I doing this?

1) I love cars!
2) I like being original. When I pop the hood I want to say that I built what is there from the ground up. Anyone can buy a crate motor but I took the time and effort to make mine unique.
3) This would be a great way to get into something I would like to do and enjoy and who doesn't want a little more power to play with?

Limitations?

The only things that I am limited by are, technically, knowledge. I have rebuilt a motor before in auto class. It was just a lawn mower motor... I know that a 350 cubic inch v-8 will be a lot bigger job, more time consuming, and a lot more difficult. I am ready for the task, it will take me a summer or two to build it up though.

Also, money is and isn't an issue. I want to make this motor good. I am not going to settle for cheap stuff. I want something that is going to be good and last me. I don't have a lot of money right now, my plans are to save up and buy parts as I can. I am in no rush to get this project done. I am going to have fun and take my time. In the end I feel this will be worth it and very gratifying.

If you have any questions please post them. I am very new at this and need all the info I need. Please no negative comments on how this is a dumb idea or whatever. If you feel I am making a dumb choice state so, but give valid reasons so if I have to I will abort the project. But, as of right now I am going to stick through it. Thick and thin.

All advice will be taken, so please give it away. Suggestions, tips, and/or procedures. Examples: Tools needed, balancing info, ect...

Thanks!

Edit October 25: I will be posting pictures after this weekend of my car and the motor that I will be rebuilding.

Last edited by Shane4524; 10-30-2011 at 09:09 PM.
Old 10-25-2011, 04:48 PM

Re: First Build: Project White Thunder

Anyone have anything they can say?
Old 10-25-2011, 05:56 PM

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts
Car: 82 Berlinetta/57 Bel Air
Engine: LS1/LQ4
Transmission: 4L60E/4L80E
Axle/Gears: 12B-3.73/9"-3.89
The questions that come to my mind immediately are your definitions of "quite a rumbler" and "original".

If by "quite a rumbler", you mean "powerful", fine. If you mean "that old musclecar sound", then you've lost me.

If "original" you mean "I did the work myself" (which you kind of indicated), fine. If you mean "different", then you've lost me.

No matter what else you do:

'91 Silverado 350 - Step 1: Remove heads. Step 2: Take removed heads to the scrap metal recycler (or, a machine shop may take them off your hands - I'm sure they could sell them to some unsuspecting slob looking for "Vortec 350 heads").

Where you go from there really depends upon what you do for induction. Is the car currently TPI? There are a lot of things you can do with that (and remain legal) without going for the old siren song of "switch to carb".
Old 10-25-2011, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by five7kid
The questions that come to my mind immediately are your definitions of "quite a rumbler" and "original".

If by "quite a rumbler", you mean "powerful", fine. If you mean "that old musclecar sound", then you've lost me.
I mean powerful and loud. Kind of a sound that it would make with a decent sized cam and good power. I am thinking of doing electrice cut-outs because I will want it really loud at sometimes like taking it to the track or a car show and then quite when cruising down the highway or at night so the cops don't get pissed.

If "original" you mean "I did the work myself" (which you kind of indicated), fine. If you mean "different", then you've lost me.
I mean original as in I did it myself. I want the pride in building this motor from the ground up.

Where you go from there really depends upon what you do for induction. Is the car currently TPI? There are a lot of things you can do with that (and remain legal) without going for the old siren song of "switch to carb".
The car is currently TPI and the 350 is TBI. I like the siren song of a four barrel carb and I want something "easy" to install. Something that wont be to difficult to set-up. But, on the other hand, I did hear of this new EFI that was pretty easy to install and had good amateur tuning capabilities. I don't remember who the manufacturer was though.
Old 10-25-2011, 11:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: '91 Camaro RS
Engine: Carb'd 383
Transmission: Built T5
Axle/Gears: 3.73 Posi

If you're gonna tear apart the 350 and rebuild it why not just get it bored out and build it to a 383? You'll find your rumble in that, just a suggestion
Old 10-26-2011, 08:26 AM
Supreme Member

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Car: 87 iroc-z
Engine: 454
Transmission: th350
Axle/Gears: 3.73

being its your first build, id suggest buying a book on building small block chevys. gotta learn somewhere. i think the efi unit your talking about is the fast easy efi? not positive though.
Old 10-26-2011, 02:16 PM

Nagle, I did mention about stroking it out to a 383. I said that was an option, I just need to make sure I stay in the power band that the tranny will handle. Buy the time I get this motor done I am sure a new tranny will be in hand though. And I was leaning towards a 383 as it was anyways.

Red, I don't know if that is the EFI for sure. I will figure it out eventually. And where would I get some books on rebuilding the SBCs?
Old 10-26-2011, 03:24 PM
Supreme Member

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Car: 87 iroc-z
Engine: 454
Transmission: th350
Axle/Gears: 3.73

most auto parts stores carry them, book stores like books-a-million, possibly your local library. im sure there are tons of articles on the net also. lots of people can slap a motor together, but if you want to do it right, its important to be able to read a micrometer, torque wrench, degree wheel, etc.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:30 PM

Oh yea, I know all that stuff to a degree. I will have to look into it. Getting a book would be a good idea. I have a book from Advance Auto that is for 3rd gen camaros, but I don't think it tells you how to rebuild the motor.
Old 10-30-2011, 09:01 PM

Well, I went home this past weekend and come to find out that my dad had sold the truck that the motor was in. I am good friends with the kids of some people who own an auto shop and they said they'd give me a good deal on a 350 motor that runs. So if anyone can let me know what to look out for when deciding which one to buy let me know!