Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Nightmare 40th birthday, Nightmare Christmas-Pls wake meup tell me it was a bad dream

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2011, 02:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nightmare 40th birthday, Nightmare Christmas-Pls wake meup tell me it was a bad dream

I tried to burnout or smokeout the back tires like in a drag race on my 40th birthday, to feel cool and younger. I revved up the engine while I was in park to spin the rear tires on my 94 Camaro V6 3.4L. Shortly after the car sputtered at stop lights and speed bumps and the car didn't have enough power when I drove it for a while.

Yesterday, I had someone give it a minor tune up yesterday which involved a new fuel filter, a new air filter, new spark plugs and spark plug wires, and adding that liquid into the gas tank that cleans out the fuel injection system.

Later that night, just 30 minutes into driving the car stalled at a traffic light. It was embarrasing. I had to turn the ignition and press down on the accelerator while in park to keep the car running.

Then when I parked the car a huge amount of smoke came out from under the front hood. Like I was afraid something might catch on fire.

It's only a problem now stalling at traffic lights, (it runs pretty good when it's not in idle) but the car may be on its last legs since it could get worse. Does it sound like it's on its last legs?

The check engine light had always been on--like it was stuck on stupid due to a sensitivity problem.

By the way, even though there's an oil leak problem, I always make sure there's enough oil. So lack of oil isn't the problem.

Could I have damaged the engine internally beyond repair when I revved the engine on my 40th birthday as someone on another forum suggested?

There seems to be a million possibilites as to what the problem could be. I've already done a much needed tune up.

I read stuff that says something about an oxygen sensor??? I read stuff that mentions an EGR valve??? Im just a layperson, I really don't understand what I need to do.

I only have $160 to pay to repair this further, then I will have to junk it.

Can someone explain in easy terms what could possibly be the problem. Unfortunately, this seems to be a very common problem among 3gen Camaros.

Anyone who would advise against me junking this car, as again, I can't spend more than $160 WOULD MAKE MY CHRISTMAS EVE and Christmas. THAT'S ALL THE GIFT(S) I NEED--IM TOTALLY HEARTBROKEN NOW AND REAL WORRIED.

Thanks, again for any constructive, advice.
Old 12-24-2011, 03:54 PM
Supreme Member

Received 189 Likes on 149 Posts
Car: 1984 Trans Am L69
Engine: Sniper EFI Powered 355
Transmission: WC T5 w/ Steel Support Plate
Axle/Gears: 3.42 10 Bolt Posi
Re: Nightmare 40th birthday, Nightmare Christmas-Pls wake meup tell me it was a bad d

Step 1 double check all tune up work

Step 2 go get code read

Step 3 fix the problem causing the check engine light
Old 12-24-2011, 04:16 PM

Re: Nightmare 40th birthday, Nightmare Christmas-Pls wake meup tell me it was a bad d

thanks for trying to help. I will relay this info. to my more inexpensive "backyard mechanic"/friend.
Old 12-24-2011, 04:22 PM
Supreme Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Car: 84 Trans Am, 84 Fiero, 86 944
Engine: 5.0, 2.5, 2.5
Transmission: 5spd

when you say revved it in park to spin the tires? what do you mean, in park the car shouldn't be moving, good god tell me you didn't neutral drop it, if you did you could have ****ed the transmission to hell which would explain the no power feeling.
Old 12-24-2011, 07:05 PM

i revved the engine in park position, then after it revving high, I moved the stick to the drive position while my foot was on the break, then i was gonna let go of the break little by little to spin the rear tires.

the car moves well in drive & reverse, it just stalls at idle like at stop lights or speed bumps & i have to pump down on the gas after turning the ignition to keep it running.

i already put "Sea Foam," "Lucas fuel injector" liquid into the gas tank.

would a $10 bottle of throttle spray help?

a spray for the carbeurator?

it real doesn't sound good when i mentioned that the a lot of smoke was coming out the engine. engine is real hot as a result of this symptom.

it doesn't seem like she has many days left. would i be better off not driving her, but just drivin her to the recycle pound. here in california you can recycle any car, (with certain small requirements) for $1,500.

does anyone have time for more detailed descriptions for a layperson like myself?

anyone have a ball park figure of how much a repair like this would cost? i know it depends, but there's always an average. anywhere from ___ to ____, plus labor at the going auto shop rate of $80/hour.
Old 12-25-2011, 01:52 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 84 Trans AM
Engine: Goodwrench 350 Crate motor
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.73

Yup, you neutral dropped it. Don't do that again. Not good for the trans at all. The only cars that get neutral dropped are rentals.

Check your transmission fluid. Look for signs of leaking trans fluid
Old 12-25-2011, 03:08 AM

thanx to all of u for not calling me or implying how dumb it was to do what i did. what's the point, dude in attempting to repair or find a cheap solution? there isn't any point cos it's not an easy nor cheap fix. someone advise me against doin this. but like a true Camaro, drag race MOPAR National-loving rebel, i didn't care & still did it. i did that for attention. i did it for the nooki e. and they still either ignore me like im a ghost or give me dirty looks. i might as well go jump off a cliff. transmission repairs are very expensive. one day i will get a newer model Camaro and enough $ to buy that which ignores me. fast cars and fast women. i promise one day...i promise.
Old 12-25-2011, 06:24 AM
Supreme Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 1988 GTA
Engine: LB9
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.45

Burnouts might get help a teeanger get laid, but it doesn't work when your 40.

Spend your $160 in the red light district.
Old 12-25-2011, 07:43 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1986 camaro Sports Coupe
Engine: L31 350
Transmission: 89 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42 gov lock

Yeah, honestly for a 40 year old you really don't sound like your really that mature, your trying to show off for people in a park in a v6, doing one of the worst thing to a transmission that anyone could do, say you only have $160 to repair a car or you have to junk it at th age of 40? Wow then you complain that you got ignored trying to show off? Are you seriously 40? You sound more like an 12 year old. Good luck trying to get a 5th gen with $160
Old 12-25-2011, 07:44 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1986 camaro Sports Coupe
Engine: L31 350
Transmission: 89 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42 gov lock

And by the way, a 94 isn't a third gen, 93 to 02 are fourth gens