Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Trouble finding dipstick, tranny questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 07:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 89 Chevy Camaro RS
Engine: 305 bored V8
Transmission: 700R4 Automatic
Trouble finding dipstick, tranny questions

New guy here. Just bought a week or so ago and have a couple questions, an 89 RS. This has the orange 305 in it that was bored out and has the 700R4 transmission. First of all there is no oil dipstick in it anywhere I could look including underneath, but not real well there with the wide cross member in the way, tried feeling along the block and couldn't find any hole either, any ideas? Why someone would rebuild an engine and not put a dipstick in is hard to believe!
Second is the transmission, have the TV set the way it says but it jerks going into 2nd and 3rd and takes forever to go into 4th, almost like after it gets warmed up, then 2nd doesn't jerk the car quite as much but still does, think this trans has about had it or not? When it shifts it also seems to pull on the car to the left. This has a B&M shifter for straight shifting or ratchet shifting.
Don't know how else to find where the dipstick went! Had the oil changed and the car greased but no way to check it then, and they said they didn't see a place for one either, but not sure how good they looked.
Going to check the lines to the tranny today but pretty sure there is no kinks in them from being under there a bunch. Fluid is pink and not burnt smelling, so you got me. I'm sure someone knows more about these than I do.
Thanks for any response!
Old 05-01-2012, 10:42 AM
On Probation

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Car: seeking '90.5-'92 'bird hardtop
Engine: several
Transmission: none
Axle/Gears: none
Re: Trouble finding dipstick, tranny questions

Need to put the trans questions in the appropriate sub-forum. As for the engine dipstick, it could be on either side, and it could be directly into an aftermarket or modified pan, rather than through the block. Also, on some blocks, the dipstick doesn't start near the pan, it starts at the deck, mostly on the left side.
Old 05-02-2012, 06:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 89 Chevy Camaro RS
Engine: 305 bored V8
Transmission: 700R4 Automatic
Re: Trouble finding dipstick, tranny questions

Sorry about not putting the trans questions in the sub-forum!
Thanks for your dipstick answers and I got lucky yesterday. Finally got the beast up high enough to get under it farther so I could see on the inward side of the starter and it was right about the center of the starter with a rubber plug in the hole. So today I'm dropping the starter so I can see the angle the hole is at and get my dipstick I got at a junk yard out of a 305 in the hole. Oil pan seems to be the stock one so it should read right, might have to bend it just a little to get it in with the headers in the way up top more than a manifold. Trans seems to be okay so won't mess with a post in there, shifted fine yesterday and getting better with the hard shifting, think it just needed used,we'll see.