Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

92 camaro RS 3.1 Idles fine but won't take gas

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 10:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 92 chevy camaro RS
Engine: 3.1 v6
Transmission: I dunno stock 5 speed
Axle/Gears: stock rear end for v6
92 camaro RS 3.1 Idles fine but won't take gas

I am the proud owner of a 92 camaro rs with a 5 speed trans 3.1 engine previous owner replaced the fuel pump strainer and filter idles fine but it loses fuel pressure when you give it gas and bogs down like its gonna die we have replace fuel pump and strainer gave it some fresh 92 octane in the tank checked for restriction in the pressure line and return line check the ecm for any loose or damaged wires have the fuel rail apart it was clen have the injectors in my hand gonna have them flow tested next the regulator looks almost brand new and not worn much. in any other time i would have just swapped it to a v8 and to hell with the issue but i am a college student and can't do that at the moment and i'm comming to the end of my rope with this car oh and we check the service engine soon light for codes too it just keeps flashing code 12 "3" times and keeps doing just that over and over oh yea while tearing the fuel system apart we found one of the injectors had exposed wires on the hot and ground like there where just twisted on there and didnt bother to tape them or make sure it wasn't touching the manifold can that cause the engine to not take gas ??
Old 04-07-2013, 12:01 AM

Car: 1996 Firebird Formula
Engine: LT1
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.42
Re: 92 camaro RS 3.1 Idles fine but won't take gas

Sounds like the MAP sensor perhaps. If it's damaged, or unplugged, the car will idle fine but as soon as you let more air in it will bog/kill the engine. Would check that before doing anything else.
Old 04-07-2013, 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by Boxxx
Sounds like the MAP sensor perhaps. If it's damaged, or unplugged, the car will idle fine but as soon as you let more air in it will bog/kill the engine. Would check that before doing anything else.
we unplugged the map sensor electrical it did nothing we plugged it back in and un hooked the vaccum and it idled at 1500 rpm but once i get everything back together tom. i will check it again but i'm crossing my fingers it had somthing to do with the exposed wires on the injector comming in contact with the manifold
Old 04-07-2013, 01:55 AM

If unplugging the MAP didn't change anything that's a sign it could be the problem. If you had the shop manual you could find the specs for testing it to determine if it's ok or not. Auto Zone has free repair manuals that may show specs for it. From what I found on here someone had a similar problem. They had an injector unplugged, and it showed symptoms of it being the MAP. Plugged it back in and everything was fine. Being the wires are exposed it's probably grounding out that injector and causing your problem. At least that's what we're hoping for.
Old 04-07-2013, 03:20 PM

If unplugging the MAP didn't change anything that's a sign it could be the problem. If you had the shop manual you could find the specs for testing it to determine if it's ok or not. Auto Zone has free repair manuals that may show specs for it. From what I found on here someone had a similar problem. They had an injector unplugged, and it showed symptoms of it being the MAP. Plugged it back in and everything was fine. Being the wires are exposed it's probably grounding out that injector and causing your problem. At least that's what we're hoping for.
Ok so i have put everything back together shrinkwraped the exposed wires and it will take gas fine now so thank you everyone for your advice now I have another dellema I think i pluged the injector harness wrong I have the left bank with the left side and the right on the right side but i think i may have the cylinders crossed over is but according to the wire harness it doesnt matter ? can anyone help me with putting the wires in the right place I marked the injectors by place on the rail and forgot to mark the wires by number
Old 04-07-2013, 06:09 PM

See if you can't find some pictures online. If not try posting a new topic asking for someone to take good pictures of their 3.1 V6. The wires should be bent in a way that makes it possible to determine where they originally went. If not I'm sure people would be able to take pics for you.
Old 04-07-2013, 06:49 PM

See if you can't find some pictures online. If not try posting a new topic asking for someone to take good pictures of their 3.1 V6. The wires should be bent in a way that makes it possible to determine where they originally went. If not I'm sure people would be able to take pics for you.
followed your advice on the picture thing got in on right and let it idle 5 min. and I get a code 42 and code 54 I get the code 54 is the electronic egr valve malfunction. what is the world is code 42 ignition bypass circut fail what is that supposed to mean ???
Old 04-07-2013, 09:27 PM

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/elec...code-42-a.html

Found that.
Old 05-02-2013, 11:06 PM

Thank you very much everyone for your help after tearing down the intake to get to the injector and fuel pressure regulator we found that the last so called mechanic that was under the hood apparently replaced the pigtail to the injector on the drivers side to the back of the engine and left the wire exposed and touching the manifold causing it to ground itself out shockingly it didnt short the ecm and the car is running good minus the exhaust leak so I'd like to take this time to thank you for youe quick reply's and willingness to help a fellow camaro owner. oh can anyone point me in the right direction I have a metal plate under my hood that says CFC-A-8 \ 92 ? wtf is that supposed to be ? I know the car was build in CA ?
Old 03-02-2014, 05:54 AM

Car: 91 Camaro
Engine: 305
Transmission: automatic

Please help!! I think it would be easier to replace an engine than post on this forum. My '91 Z28 fires right up, but as soon as the engine gets hot, nothing happens when I hit the gas pedal. Any ideas??