Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Trans Am GTA Won't Start

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 04:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1987 Trans Am GTA
Engine: Warmed over 350 TPI
Transmission: 700r4 soon to be t56
Trans Am GTA Won't Start

This has been a problem for a while. I originally thought it was my battery not fully charged, so I tried a jump start, but nothing. It doesn't even crank over, all lights work though.

Figured it might have been the Neutral safety switch, read somewhere to try moving the shifter while trying to start it, but that didn't work. Fuses were all good.

It isn't not vats, as it is an '87 GTA. SO I'm not really sure what else to look for. If anyone has an idea of what it might be, please let me know.
Old 01-27-2014, 05:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Car: 1989 IROC-Z28
Engine: L98 - 350 TPI
Transmission: MD8 - 700R4
Axle/Gears: GH3/G80 - 2.77 POSI
Relay under the hood, by the battery. Mine was doing the same thing. Turn the key on, everything works. Click to start and nothing. Deadness. It would work once and a while. Jumpered the relay, no issues since.

Need a pic? I can go out and take one.
Old 01-27-2014, 05:05 PM

Ok I lied it's not the one by the battery. I didn't do it, the guy at the shop did. I don't know where it is located. This is the relay that was removed tho. Lol
Attached Thumbnails Trans Am GTA Won't Start-image-3370559816.jpg   Trans Am GTA Won't Start-image-1050443379.jpg  
Old 01-27-2014, 07:26 PM

Re: Trans Am GTA Won't Start

Well that helps somewhat, basically describes what happens.

there is already a fuse connected to the battery, (pretty sure it's not blown) if I remove it, will that be the same thing?

Do you mind showing me some pictures of how/where he did it? It looks like a fuse block...
Old 01-27-2014, 10:18 PM

I'll text him tomorrow and find out where it came from.

You can also just hook up a push button start. Wire on each terminal of the starter to a button. You'll still need to turn key on but button will activate starter.
Old 01-27-2014, 11:41 PM

I'd rather not put a push start in. Too modern. I like the classic "turn key to start".

Thanks though, I really appreciate your help so far.
Old 01-28-2014, 12:17 AM
Supreme Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Car: 82 Z28
Engine: 383 SP EFI/ 4150 TB
Transmission: T400
Axle/Gears: QP 9" 3.73

Originally Posted by transaero
I'd rather not put a push start in..
It is a temporary measure so you can determine what your problem is

All you have at the moment is " it won't start"!

You have not proved
1.the starter is good ,
2.that the starter connections are good and the starter is getting full battery power
3. that the starter circuit from the key is actually working

Each has different tests and hot wiring the starter through a push button is the 1st test
Old 01-28-2014, 12:21 AM
Supreme Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Car: 82 Z28
Engine: 383 SP EFI/ 4150 TB
Transmission: T400
Axle/Gears: QP 9" 3.73

Neutral safety switch, read somewhere to try moving the shifter while trying to start it, but that didn't work.
Does little if the switch is kaput.

You need to unplug the switch and jumper the NSS terminals to completely bypass it
so as to prove operation or not
Old 01-29-2014, 04:30 PM

Well I know the starter is good because I just replaced and have only started it a few times. I will double check the wiring when it warms up because right now it is around 10 degrees.

The battery is fully charged, it is practically brand new.

I'm guessing either some of the wiring from the starter is loose/bad or the circuit is messed up.
Old 02-03-2014, 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by jrhaus76
I'll text him tomorrow and find out where it came from.
Did you ever get any pics from him?
Old 02-03-2014, 07:32 AM

shoot no. I'll text him now.
Old 02-03-2014, 07:35 AM

Just sent him a trxt
Old 02-03-2014, 07:41 AM

Ok... This was his reply:

"That is the vats starter interrupt relay and it is behind the driver kick panel. Has a large green and large yellow wire coming out of it. Cut it out and connect the large green and yellow together."

Good luck.
Old 02-03-2014, 12:08 PM

Engine: 305 V8
Transmission: 5spd
Axle/Gears: 9bolt

I am in your boat same car too lol.
Mine did a no start for a while because the ignition cylinder wasn't allowing the key to fully turn, which wouldn't engage the starter. All lights etc came on but no crank nothing, and every once in a while it would work.

Mine is now a no start randomly again, and I bypassed the NSS, starter is fine, new battery, if I figure something out ill let you know.

and jraus, the op won't have vats so that relay won't be his issue
Old 02-05-2014, 04:47 PM

I'll take a look and see if anything is similar to what you said, but yeah, I don't have vats, so it probably won't do anything.

Thanks though.
Old 02-06-2014, 05:13 PM

So I went and did some troubleshooting today.

- Battery was dead so I charged it.
- There was no green/yellow wire as suspected since I don't have vats.
- I cleaned the battery and engine grounds.
- Din't get to checking starter as it was getting dark. I'll check the wiring tomorrow or Saturday.

However, I did notice one thing. When I turn the key to accessory (where the int. lights come one, fuel pump cranks, etc), there is a click that comes from the upper firewall. It will make this noise every time I turn it off and then to accessory again. The noise is coming from a small silver/gray cylinder, with a black plastic piece on top of it, located just under the driver's side windshield wiper.I don't know what it's called, but I will take a look at it tomorrow and take some pics of it after my class.

Thanks for your help so far guys.
Old 02-12-2014, 02:56 PM
Supreme Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: LOWERED ♦ CRIMSON METALFLAKE
Engine: ► 400 KUBES ◄
Transmission: 765R4
Axle/Gears: EATON POSI 4.56
Car Is Not Cranky . . . . SO I AM !!!!!!

Connect a voltmeter across the M terminal and ground.

Make the leads long enuff to take the voltmeter into the cockpit.

Under normal circumstances, when cranking you will see about 9 volts on the meter.

The voltage will tell you what the problem is and what direction to turn.

If it’s about 12 while you are trying to crank, but the starter is not turning - the problem is in the starter even tho new, or the connection to it.

If it’s under 8 while trying to crank - the problem is excessive resistance in the starting circuit.

Therefore if it is in the starting circuit you can move the probe you applied to terminal M at the starter, to the positive terminals at the solenoid, then keep moving up the line till the problem shows itself VIA increased voltage.

Happy Racing!

Rule Number 1 Is To Know Which Rules You Can Break
Old 02-14-2014, 12:50 AM

Car: '83 Camaro Z28 5.0, '93 Camry 3.0
Engine: 305 V8, V6 DOC
Transmission: 700R4

Some general info for your car not starting..

Well there can be an a few things that can prevent your car from starting so you will have to diagnose some things.

You need adequate fuel, air, and spark, while also being delivered at the right time.

Electrically - If it cranks slowly or not at all then check your wiring and make sure your battery terminals are tight and clean and connectors are plugged in all the way. You may have a bad battery, a bad coil, spark plugs, spark plug wires (possibly), fuel pump, bad relays, solenoids, fuses. Security Systems may disable the fuel injectors also if you use the wrong key. The Mass Airflow sensor (MAF) could be bad too. Bad Coolant temperature sensor.

If you have an Ohm meter and a fuel pressure tester, that may help diagnosing a little.

Fuel - You may have inadequate fuel pressure, or simply not enough fuel in the tank, check and see if your firebird takes premium, regular, plus also. Your fuel pump strainer may be clogged, or you have a bad hose inside the fuel tank next to the fuel pump (which leaks fuel back into the tank, causing a lack of fuel pressure.) incorrectly installed fuel filter (backwards), Fuel Pump sending unit.

Air - You may have a vacuum leak, with the 6cyl there are plenty of vacuum hoses to look through, but the main ones include the ones near the EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation valve) and your PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation valve) may be clogged or unclamped/defective. Although besides these you may also have a lack of compression in the cylinders, can be tested using a compression tester and looking at your recommended pressure in each cylinder.

I don't believe I mentioned everything, but if you give Third Gen more info, we can narrow down the possibilities. Does it crank?

I don't remember when GM started using the VATS security system, but just an idea, and there may be a few other things I did not mention..

Post back if you find a solution.. Good Luck!
Old 02-14-2014, 12:27 PM

I know for sure it is not a security system, vats was introduced until '88, mine is an '87. My dad has a voltmeter, but he doesn't know how to use it and neither do I, but I will dig it out and figure out how to. I have no clue if we have a fuel pressure tester.

I know it is getting fuel, I can hear the pump crank and there is gas in the tank. That

Before the ''snowstorm'' that just happened over hear, I went out and checked out the starter, I hit it with a hammer and heard the solenoid pop, but it still didn't start, and there was still no crank. The wiring seemed all good, nice and tight. However I did notice there was an extra wire hanging down, it had some sort of plastic connector on, but there was no connection I could find for it. I also noticed up front t=near the pass. side headlight, there were 2 wires w/connectors hanging loosely, but I don't know where they go.

I noticed (according to this diagram) that there are three wires going to the larger terminal. I only have 2 (orange) going to it, and that is what was there when I re-installed it. But it started before, so that might have nothing to do to it.

Later today I will try to get some pictures of the starter wiring and the extra connections i was talking about. And i will also figure out how to use this voltmeter (if I can find it).
Attached Images  
Old 02-14-2014, 07:50 PM

If you can have someone crank it while you hammer on it, that usually works better.. The diagram I have shows that a Black wire goes from the battery to two fusible links (A, B) then two red wires split off from the fusible links which go to power distibution, except that fusible link B goes to the ignition switch, after the ignition switch the wire turns yellow, which goes to your transmission shift selector, then a purple wire that should be going to the starter...

So Battery (black Power/Positive wire) --> two fusible links (both Red) --> ignition switch --> yellow wire (to Gear Selector), then purple wire to starter... There should also be a Positive cable going to the starter.. Hope this helps..

Good Luck!
Old 02-15-2014, 07:03 PM

Car: 1987 Camaro
Engine: 350 dart ies comp cam intake carb
Transmission: 700 r4, shift kit, 2400 stall
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt stock

Not to thread jack but this thread came up in my search and I'm having similar issues.

Car is a 87 with t56 swap, I ziptied the shifter cable in Park position. The ignition switch has been replaced before and I've had issues with it in the pass not cranking when in the start position. It did it again today but its gotten far worse and I don't want to be stranded somewhere. Key over and everything lights up radio works, turn to start and nothing. I had to turn it multiple times before it finally cranked. I'm thinking this is a ignition switch problem? Does anyone have any suggestions?
Old 02-16-2014, 12:08 PM

Car: 1989 IROC-Z / T-Top -1987 GTA
Engine: 305 (LO3) _350 (L98)
Transmission: 700R4 _ 700R4
Axle/Gears: 2.73 L.S. - ???

Originally Posted by mbolte
Not to thread jack but this thread came up in my search and I'm having similar issues.

Car is a 87 with t56 swap, I ziptied the shifter cable in Park position. The ignition switch has been replaced before and I've had issues with it in the pass not cranking when in the start position. It did it again today but its gotten far worse and I don't want to be stranded somewhere. Key over and everything lights up radio works, turn to start and nothing. I had to turn it multiple times before it finally cranked. I'm thinking this is a ignition switch problem? Does anyone have any suggestions?
do you have tilt, and if so, is it loose? you can also check the switch to make sure it is tight on the column, and is adjusted toward the steering wheel (if these can be slid like some other cars i have had) if you locate the switch, and find something you can fit in where the rod goes, you can work the switch by hand with the key turned to run (to unlock the wheel) if it leaves you stuck somewhere to get it started and back home again
Old 02-16-2014, 01:27 PM

Car: 1987 Camaro
Engine: 350 dart ies comp cam intake carb
Transmission: 700 r4, shift kit, 2400 stall
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt stock

I dropped the column and loosened up the switch, moved it, and turned the key and it worked fine. I guess it was just out of alignment.
Old 02-16-2014, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by mbolte
I dropped the column and loosened up the switch, moved it, and turned the key and it worked fine. I guess it was just out of alignment.

hmmm that's good to point out. Hope that was the problem.
Old 02-27-2014, 04:30 PM

Well, I think I've figured out the problem. I haven't been able to work on my car caused it has snowed several times the last few weeks, but I took advantage of the dry-ish weather today.

I checked the following:
- battery- good
- fuses- good
- power- good
- fuel- check
- wiring- all good
- NSS intact and hooked up securely

Next thing I did was take a hammer to the starter. After giving it a few good (light) whacks, I tried to start it and it cranked for about a half second. Tried it again and nothing. Hammered a few more times and the same thing. So I think the starter is either misaligned or the solenoid is not strong enough to push the gear out.

I've heard that Chevy starters usually need to be shimmed to the engine. However, the original starter was not shimmed so I figured I didn't need any. Do I need some shims?
Old 03-06-2014, 01:29 AM

...I've heard that Chevy starters usually need to be shimmed to the engine. However, the original starter was not shimmed so I figured I didn't need any. Do I need some shims?
It depends on the starter, but if you add a shim, it usually comes with the new starter, it wouldn't hurt to try it. It'll make a loud screeching noise if it's not adjusted/shimmed properly.

I've never heard that about chevys, but I wouldn't know. I've never really had a hard time with starters.

Depending on the noise usually can give a hint to remove or add shims too, but I can't remember exactly... or you have a defective starter..
Old 03-11-2014, 05:22 PM

Well, I got her to start yesterday. I took out and cleaned the starter, cleaned the wire and checked them all, charged the battery, and fiddled with the ignition switch. The last thing I did was have my brother crank it while I hammered on the starter. After a few hits she started right up!

I think that the weird weather (snow/ coldness) might've locked up the starter somehow. Whatever the reason, thanks for all you help guys!
Old 03-13-2014, 05:06 PM

Well, I got her to start yesterday. I took out and cleaned the starter, cleaned the wire and checked them all, charged the battery, and fiddled with the ignition switch. The last thing I did was have my brother crank it while I hammered on the starter. After a few hits she started right up!

I think that the weird weather (snow/ coldness) might've locked up the starter somehow. Whatever the reason, thanks for all you help guys!
Well cars should still start no matter the weather, but if you have any more issues I would budget for another starter in the future.

Glad our info on here helped, post back if you have any more issues.

Old 03-14-2014, 02:46 AM

If/when this starter goes out, I will be getting an lt1 starter or a high performance starter, plus a heat shield or heat wrap.
Old 11-27-2014, 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by John62591
Some general info for your car not starting..

Well there can be an a few things that can prevent your car from starting so you will have to diagnose some things.

You need adequate fuel, air, and spark, while also being delivered at the right time.

Electrically - If it cranks slowly or not at all then check your wiring and make sure your battery terminals are tight and clean and connectors are plugged in all the way. You may have a bad battery, a bad coil, spark plugs, spark plug wires (possibly), fuel pump, bad relays, solenoids, fuses. Security Systems may disable the fuel injectors also if you use the wrong key. The Mass Airflow sensor (MAF) could be bad too. Bad Coolant temperature sensor.

If you have an Ohm meter and a fuel pressure tester, that may help diagnosing a little.

Fuel - You may have inadequate fuel pressure, or simply not enough fuel in the tank, check and see if your firebird takes premium, regular, plus also. Your fuel pump strainer may be clogged, or you have a bad hose inside the fuel tank next to the fuel pump (which leaks fuel back into the tank, causing a lack of fuel pressure.) incorrectly installed fuel filter (backwards), Fuel Pump sending unit.

Air - You may have a vacuum leak, with the 6cyl there are plenty of vacuum hoses to look through, but the main ones include the ones near the EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation valve) and your PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation valve) may be clogged or unclamped/defective. Although besides these you may also have a lack of compression in the cylinders, can be tested using a compression tester and looking at your recommended pressure in each cylinder.

I don't believe I mentioned everything, but if you give Third Gen more info, we can narrow down the possibilities. Does it crank?

I don't remember when GM started using the VATS security system, but just an idea, and there may be a few other things I did not mention..

Post back if you find a solution.. Good Luck!

Hey, with my trams am gta 87 a lot of the times the car just cranks like as if it had no gas even though it does. After trying to turn it on for s few more times it will finally start. My gta has a digital display in the inside so I'm not sure if it's different than yours.
Old 11-28-2014, 07:02 PM

Got it figured, was a contact inside the starter that was grounding out randomly. Finally fused itself to the side of the starter and stopped working all together. New starter and she runs like new
Old 11-28-2014, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by WhiskeyChick
Got it figured, was a contact inside the starter that was grounding out randomly. Finally fused itself to the side of the starter and stopped working all together. New starter and she runs like new
So just get a new starter than? Do you know how much they cost? Sorry I'm getting frustrated at the car it keeps turning off. The battery seems very weak. Does your car have 2 batteries in it on each side?
Old 11-29-2014, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by Mzarate18215
So just get a new starter than? Do you know how much they cost? Sorry I'm getting frustrated at the car it keeps turning off. The battery seems very weak. Does your car have 2 batteries in it on each side?
That's what was wrong with mine. It was 40 bucks plus core but that depends where you are. Starters are less then a hundred bucks though.
I only have one battery on the drivers side and I'm non digital dash.
If you think your battery is weak should have it load tested and check the voltage from your alt too. The regulator might not be charging right?
Old 11-29-2014, 08:43 PM

Yes I'll check those as soon as possible thanks. My battery just keeps dying the instant I turn it off. It'll run for hours when I give it a jump but as soon as I turn it off it just won't start the battery just drains and I'm not sure why.
Old 11-30-2014, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Mzarate18215
Yes I'll check those as soon as possible thanks. My battery just keeps dying the instant I turn it off. It'll run for hours when I give it a jump but as soon as I turn it off it just won't start the battery just drains and I'm not sure why.
Auto or manual?
And do your lights still come on and everything when you turn the key it just won't turn over?