Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Crankshaft wobble

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 03:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '85 Camaro
Engine: 305 4BL
Transmission: 700R4
Crankshaft wobble

Noticed my crankshaft had a slight wobble, put a new harmonic balancer on it but it still has a slight wobble. How concerned should I be?

It's an '85 with a 305, Edelbrock carb and the rest should be stock

Ken

Last edited by kdkiser; 01-30-2014 at 04:00 PM. Reason: Added car details
Old 01-30-2014, 08:01 PM
Supreme Member

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Car: 87 iroc-z
Engine: 454
Transmission: th350
Axle/Gears: 3.73
Re: Crankshaft wobble

are you sure the balancer is on all the way?
Old 01-30-2014, 08:11 PM

Car: 85 T/A
Engine: 305 TPI
Axle/Gears: 3.27

Originally Posted by redneckjoe
It sure looks like it's not. May just be the pic angle, but looks like there is too much space between the balancer and the front oil pan seal.
Old 01-30-2014, 08:17 PM
Supreme Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Car: 1992 Camaro RS
Engine: Vortec headed 355, xe262
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 9-bolt 3.70

If it runs fine it's not worth worrying about.
Old 01-31-2014, 02:24 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by InfernalVortex
That's true if you don't love rod bearings..

You can't draw the H/B on effectively with the crank bolt.A H/B'er tool is needed. Also you need to check the crank key to see if it is cracked or sheared. The only way a H/B'er is going to work is if it is running true to the crankshaft.
Old 01-31-2014, 05:38 PM
Supreme Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Car: 1992 Camaro RS
Engine: Vortec headed 355, xe262
Axle/Gears: 9-bolt 3.70

The way he talks it's as if he's been driving the car for years and just suddenly noticed it. If he didnt do anything to it to bend it then it's been that way a long time. It's always a possibility that it's going to ruin the bearings but it's just an LG4 305... Do you think he should hurry up and park it so that he can "save" the internals for a rebuild? People give those away for free when they run perfectly. I agree with your reasoning but I just think in this case you just run it til it pops. If it runs fine I wouldn't worry about it, since there's nothing he can really do to straighten it at this point without risking further damage and it's not worth replacing the crankshaft and rebuilding it. That said, your concerns about the balancer not being seated are legitimate...

Last edited by InfernalVortex; 01-31-2014 at 05:42 PM.
Old 01-31-2014, 10:32 PM

I thought it was, the installer would spin when the balancer was that far on.

Originally Posted by Chad85T/A
It sure looks like it's not. May just be the pic angle, but looks like there is too much space between the balancer and the front oil pan seal.
When I removed the old balancer I didn't see the woodruff key so I thought I just needed to line up the groove on the balancer to the key on the timing gear but I missed and the hb stopped at the timing key

The vehicle shook horribly when the pulley was installed; I doubt it would of lasted long.

Originally Posted by 1gary
That's true if you don't love rod bearings..

You can't draw the H/B on effectively with the crank bolt.A H/B'er tool is needed. Also you need to check the crank key to see if it is cracked or sheared. The only way a H/B'er is going to work is if it is running true to the crankshaft.
I used a hb installer, but I didn't see the woodruff key when I removed the old balancer. I installed the hb with the proper tool but without the key there to align with I missed the key on the timing gear. I'm a novice at vehicle maintenance so I didn't realize there until I did some extra digging on the internet. Luckily the auto parts store down the road sells sets of keys so I picked one up, tried installing it only to drop it behind the timing cover had to remove the water pump to get to the timing cover, got the cover off and found the key I dropped and the key I didn't see Haven't started it up yet but the hb is seated better.

The way he talks it's as if he's been driving the car for years and just suddenly noticed it. If he didnt do anything to it to bend it then it's been that way a long time. It's always a possibility that it's going to ruin the bearings but it's just an LG4 305... Do you think he should hurry up and park it so that he can "save" the internals for a rebuild? People give those away for free when they run perfectly. I agree with your reasoning but I just think in this case you just run it til it pops. If it runs fine I wouldn't worry about it, since there's nothing he can really do to straighten it at this point without risking further damage and it's not worth replacing the crankshaft and rebuilding it. That said, your concerns about the balancer not being seated are legitimate...
I wish I'd been driving it for years, only owned it for 2 weeks and been to busy fixing minor problems to be joy riding! I didn't notice the wobble until my friend pointed it out while he was checking out the car, then I swapped hbs and made it worse...

Thanks for the advice! I'll see if I can grab a shot with the hb reseated tomorrow.

-Ken
Old 01-31-2014, 10:49 PM

Car: 89 trans am GTA
Engine: 355

if the woodruff key wasnt there i'd be walking to the parts store and getting one. get the HB put on right then see if it still wobbles
Old 01-31-2014, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by 92crimsonRS
if the woodruff key wasnt there i'd be walking to the parts store and getting one. get the HB put on right then see if it still wobbles
Absolutely, picked up a key set already and installed it; ran out of daylight before I had a chance to finish up and start her up.

-Ken
Old 02-01-2014, 12:40 AM
Supreme Member

It is highly unlikely the crank is bent.If you use the proper B/H'er installer with a good key drawing it on parallel to the crank,that should solve this issue.

Please post what you end up with.
Old 02-01-2014, 10:36 AM

Looks better, but still has a slight wobble

What do y'all think?

-Ken
Old 02-01-2014, 11:37 AM
Supreme Member

Ken acouple of questions for you.Now this is a brand new H/B'er and when you first put this on did you use a proper H/B'er tool?? Did you find anything wrong with the key you replaced??.

Second question is have you checked the ignition timing??.
Old 02-01-2014, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by 1gary
Ken acouple of questions for you.Now this is a brand new H/B'er and when you first put this on did you use a proper H/B'er tool?? Did you find anything wrong with the key you replaced??.

Second question is have you checked the ignition timing??.
It's a brand new H/B. Had problems taking off the old H/B, the guy I bought the Camaro from had enlarged one of the bolt holes to the next metric size! On my first try removing the bolt broke free so I had to back it up with a nut behind the original H/B and was able to get it out but I had the proper tools to remove it! Had the proper installer too.

The key had some scratches on the outside, I assume from rubbing on the H/B when it was installed and when I pulled it but it did not appear to be bent or any chunks missing.

I don't know how to check the timing, I've read that the timing can have that effect.

Here is a video in action, have the pulley reinstalled with the belts and all:

...did not have the radiator cap installed properly

Installer: http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...er=391373_0_0_
Puller was a generic advance auto parts http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...rchTerm=puller

Last edited by kdkiser; 02-01-2014 at 06:08 PM. Reason: added tools used; corrected yt link
Old 02-01-2014, 09:13 PM
Supreme Member

this might help with understanding timing.

Old 02-01-2014, 09:39 PM

this might help with understanding timing.
What's the best way to have it checked? Am I better off having a mechanic doing it?

Thanks,
Ken
Old 02-01-2014, 11:59 PM
Supreme Member

why not do it yourself? do you have a service/repair manual? follow the directions, watch the video again, have a mechanic buddy help you,....it's an "oppotunity" to learn so you never have to pay a mechanic again. it's really not hard at all.
its also part of tuning a motor. anybody can bolt parts together, but you need to know how to tune it, to get the most out of it.
if you can install a harmonic balancer, i'm confident you can unloosen one bolt and set the timing.
Old 02-23-2014, 01:22 PM

Finally got to the car again this weekend; found that the distributor cap was loose enough that I could turn it by hand, I assume this isn't normal? I turned it slightly in each direction and found a sweet sounding spot. Definitely going to need to redo the timing!

What do I need to do to have the gauge the timing? The H/B doesn't have timing markings and my block does not have a timing tab.
Old 02-23-2014, 03:10 PM

Car: 85 T/A
Engine: 305 TPI

Well first you need a timing tab for the size balancer you have. I've never seen a balancer without a timing mark on it. If for whatever reason it actually doesn't have a mark you can make a piston stop from an old spark plug, by welding a small piece of metal to the end of it that's long enough to reach the top of the piston. DO NOT ROTATE THE ENGINE WITH THE STARTER. rotate the engine by hand one direction until it hits the piston stop and make a vid able mark on your balancer at the 0 on the tab, then rotate the engine all the way in the other direction until it reaches the stop again and make another mark at the 0 again. The center point between the two marks will be TDC.
Old 02-23-2014, 03:46 PM
Supreme Member

Received 747 Likes on 506 Posts
Car: 1989-92 FORMULA350 305 92 Hawkclone
Engine: 4++,350 & 305 CIs
Transmission: 700R4 4800 vig 18th700R4 t56 ZF6 T5
Axle/Gears: 3.70 9"ford alum chunk,dana44,9bolt

I'm not to sure its a good idea to rev the crap out of the motor without the balancer bolt holding it on.. Esp without a balancer key.