Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Steering trouble/ Unrelated cold start issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2015, 05:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1989 Chevy Camaro IROC Z28
Engine: L98
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Stock
Steering trouble/ Unrelated cold start issue

Hi guys,

After some extensive preliminary mantenance, I've had my 1989 IROC-Z on the road for a few months now and we've started to hit our first few 'cold' days in las vegas (between 30-45 degrees F).

I've noticed two unrelated problems:

1) Car hesitates to start while cold. The starter must be cranked for 3 second intervals 2-4 times prior to catching. When it does catch, it bogs, stutters then picks up.

2) The steering power assist seems to cut out when cold. When backing out of my parking spot, it tends to 'sieze' while moving though out the lock. Once it is warm, it functions as normal. When cold only a slight trilling sound can be heard, like a very quiet pigeon. Other than that, it makes no unusual sounds; no characteristic belt/pump squel.

My guess for the issues sources are as follows:

1) I installed a new fuel pump/tank. One of my Co-workers mentioned I could have 'twisted a fuel line'. I assume they ment I could have somehow put to much pressure on the line restricing fuel flow. I doubt it as the tank has hard lines from the pump. Could is just be the MAF system being less efficient than the mass density system on my old 1990. This is my fist winter with this car and I have nothing to compare it to. My 1990 would start on the first crank every time.

2) I did adjust the sector shaft. There is a chance that I moved it beyond centerpoint. However, it works fine once warm; perfect in fact. So I find it strange that it only seizes while cold. Could it be the Power steering pully? Or perhaps the belt?

Last edited by Mayt13; 01-06-2015 at 05:52 PM.
Old 01-12-2015, 04:38 PM
Supreme Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: LOWERED ♦ CRIMSON METALFLAKE
Engine: ► 400 KUBES ◄
Transmission: 765R4
Axle/Gears: EATON POSI 4.56
Powerless Steering

OK we will assume you have made sure the PS fluid is up to level.

The most likely cause is a stuck when cold Flow Control Valve.

You can flush the system to see if that fixes it.

You can replace the Flow Control Valve.

You can replace the completer Power Assist Unit.

It all depends on if you like to diagnose and replace or simply make the pit-stop as fast as possible.

Happy Racing !

If People Drove Any Slower They’d Be Going Backwards