Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Car stalled suddenly. Ignition switch??

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2018, 01:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1986 IROC Z
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: Auto
Car stalled suddenly. Ignition switch??

Aside from an annoying high idle I can't solve when the car is cold it runs like a dream and has never given me any problems. This morning while I was letting her warm up in driveway before work it just died. It didn't stumble or run funny before dying, it just shut off like a ghost turned the key off. It started right back up with no problems. The reason I suspect the ignition switch is every now and then when I turn the key to start it, nothing happens. I can turn the key all way to start it and it does absolutely nothing. Do these switches short out or work off and on at times before they totally go bad?
Old 09-11-2018, 10:20 PM
Supreme Member

Received 84 Likes on 77 Posts
Car: 88 Camaro
Engine: L98 350
Transmission: 700r4
Re: Car stalled suddenly. Ignition switch??

Usually this is a failing ignition module in the distributor. But my 88 will do this sometimes, takes spells when it will do this a couple times a week, then runs perfect for months. I've always assumed it was a fuel delivery problem, air/vapor in the fuel line. Could be the switch, be rare I think.
Old 09-13-2018, 07:29 PM
Supreme Member

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Car: 87 IROC Z28
Engine: 355 cid TPI
Transmission: Custom Built 700R4 w/3,500 stall
Axle/Gears: QP fab 9" 3.70 Truetrac

Ignition switch failure like that would be rare. Much more likely the intermittent no crank is a poor connection somewhere. It's a 30 year old car with alot of electronics. Check battery cables, engine grounds, body grounds, fuse links at the starter. If you can catch it doing the no crank thing, try testing for a bright test light at the yellow wire from the ign switch when it wont crank. Remember too, there's a PNP switch in the circuit after the ign switch. The yellow wire turns into a purple wire at this switch. When it won't crank, try moving the shafter to neutral and try again.

The stalling when hot is most likely a distributor issue. Check the wiring for good connections at the ICM. If you can prove it's the ICM, or you decide to replace it just because, consider a new distributor instead. I say this because the pick up coil is also a problem, along with rust and deterioration of the pole piece. While rust won't stop it from working the rust when it gets bad enough gets into the bearing and isn't good. Delphi makes a complete brand new distributor. I've installed a few of them and seen no issues yet. The price isn't bad either.
Old 09-17-2018, 10:43 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Car: 91 Firebird/88 Firebird/91 Formula
Engine: V6 3.1/V8 5.0/V8 5.0
Transmission: 4L60/700R4/4L60
Axle/Gears: 3.23/2.73/2.73

In my '88 Bird it was resistance in the ignition wires. I put in a push button start as a backup when it wont start. The shutting off off does sounds like an ICM fault.
Old 09-18-2018, 11:12 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1986 IROC Z
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: Auto

Originally Posted by ASE doc
Ignition switch failure like that would be rare. Much more likely the intermittent no crank is a poor connection somewhere. It's a 30 year old car with alot of electronics. Check battery cables, engine grounds, body grounds, fuse links at the starter. If you can catch it doing the no crank thing, try testing for a bright test light at the yellow wire from the ign switch when it wont crank. Remember too, there's a PNP switch in the circuit after the ign switch. The yellow wire turns into a purple wire at this switch. When it won't crank, try moving the shafter to neutral and try again.

The stalling when hot is most likely a distributor issue. Check the wiring for good connections at the ICM. If you can prove it's the ICM, or you decide to replace it just because, consider a new distributor instead. I say this because the pick up coil is also a problem, along with rust and deterioration of the pole piece. While rust won't stop it from working the rust when it gets bad enough gets into the bearing and isn't good. Delphi makes a complete brand new distributor. I've installed a few of them and seen no issues yet. The price isn't bad either.
Where can I find that Delphi distributor? Do you happen to know the correct part number for it?
Old 09-18-2018, 12:09 PM
Sponsor

Received 649 Likes on 573 Posts
Car: 1967 Camaro, 91 z28
Engine: Lb9
Transmission: M20
Axle/Gears: J65 pbr on stock posi 10bolt

RockAuto has a Remanufactured distributor
Old 09-18-2018, 06:13 PM
Supreme Member

Received 124 Likes on 91 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC Convertible
Engine: 350 TPI L98
Transmission: WC T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42

I would check the ground paths to the battery.

My car used to die randomly until I threw several lengths of #12 stranded THHN house wiring in from the battery (chassis) to the O2 sensor, block, and manifold. After that, no more random idle quit. I suspect these cars are very sensitive to poor grounds.