Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Intake gaskets and bolts on Tpi engine

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2018, 07:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intake gaskets and bolts on Tpi engine

I recently took off intake because I had bad injectors...so when put everything back together I discovered that I was leaking oil from the back of my intake on driver side ...so I did not use a gasket...but I put red RTV silicone on the China wall.
so I have to take it all apart now ...and I'm confused why people are saying don't use the gasket? Every time I've ever did a sbc I used them ..so why aren't they recommended now? And I want to change these stupid Allen torque bolts out to hex style ones..what are the sizes for intake to l98 aluminum heads bolts?

Last edited by gpatterson8167; 09-12-2018 at 07:34 PM.
Old 09-12-2018, 07:46 PM
Supreme Member

Received 140 Likes on 116 Posts
Car: 92 Firebird, 77 Trans Am SE, 86 Z28
Engine: 5.7 HSR, T/A 6.6, empty
Transmission: T-5, TH350, T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.08 posi, 3.23 posi, 3.23
Re: Intake gaskets and bolts on Tpi engine

The gasket that are supplied for the china wall push out and leak often. Were as rtv doesn't push out and seals nearly every time. As long as there's enough applied (which isn't all that much) it will seal. The rtv also helps hold the manifold gaskets stay in place while you lower the intake on.

As far as bolt, lots of venders offer kits. Ebay probably has some, you can piece them together your self if you know the sizes you need and Hawks has a kit seen here... http://www.hawksmotorsports.com/87-9...nner-bolt-kit/
Old 09-12-2018, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by aliceempire
The gasket that are supplied for the china wall push out and leak often. Were as rtv doesn't push out and seals nearly every time. As long as there's enough applied (which isn't all that much) it will seal. The rtv also helps hold the manifold gaskets stay in place while you lower the intake on.

As far as bolt, lots of venders offer kits. Ebay probably has some, you can piece them together your self if you know the sizes you need and Hawks has a kit seen here... http://www.hawksmotorsports.com/87-9...nner-bolt-kit/
yeah I see the felpro gasket set had those two thin black gaskets that kept sliding around ..so I didn't use them...but now since I'm leaking back there again I went to parts store and found a NASCAR kind of gasket set and those two rubber gaskets look thicker and look like they would hug the walls way better? Seriously thinking of using them with some grey silicon on top of the rubber?
Old 09-12-2018, 09:20 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts

Yeah, nobody uses those gaskets and the TPI Felpro gasket kit comes with a tube of RTV because the only way to make the intake seal is to use RTV and the gaskets. </sarcasm>

Intake to head bolts on a SBC are 3/8-16" GM used Torx bolts because they're the best choice for the application.

I won't go in depth trying to change your mind, I'll just tell you there's nothing wrong with the bolts or using RTV at the front and rear of the block. I'd be cleaning the bolt threads and using Permatex thread sealer on reinstall. Next take a good look at the oil pressure senders, switches, ports in the block, etc. Not a lot of pressurized oil to leak at the back of the intake.

Old 09-12-2018, 09:24 PM

I looked at the plug that's originally for the sending unit but mine is plugged off with a plug..but I put a mirror back there and actually seen the oil coming from the Intake? I got some thinker rubber gaskets now so I'm try them with a bead of silicone?
Old 09-12-2018, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by Drew
Yeah, nobody uses those gaskets and the TPI Felpro gasket kit comes with a tube of RTV because the only way to make the intake seal is to use RTV and the gaskets. </sarcasm>

Intake to head bolts on a SBC are 3/8-16" GM used Torx bolts because they're the best choice for the application.

I won't go in depth trying to change your mind, I'll just tell you there's nothing wrong with the bolts or using RTV at the front and rear of the block. I'd be cleaning the bolt threads and using Permatex thread sealer on reinstall. Next take a good look at the oil pressure senders, switches, ports in the block, etc. Not a lot of pressurized oil to leak at the back of the intake.

the reason I don't like those torque bolts cause they started stripping when applying torque so I couldn't even finish torquing Them?
Old 09-12-2018, 09:51 PM

Received 44 Likes on 20 Posts
Car: 1987 GTA
Engine: 5.0
Transmission: Automatic

Originally Posted by gpatterson8167
the reason I don't like those torque bolts cause they started stripping when applying torque so I couldn't even finish torquing Them?
I work on newer cars for a living and have a huge investment in my tools. My snap on torx sockets fits alot tighter in a brand new torx bolt than any of the other brands I have. Not saying that you don't have a good socket just saying that could be a culprit. Fwiw I've had my tpi intake completely apart at least 5 or 6 times with what I presume to be the original bolts. Those bolts can strip out easily if the slightest amount of grime is inside them as well.
Old 09-13-2018, 08:39 AM
Supreme Member

Torx bolts work great with proper tools and care. Cheap chi-knee sockets and adjustable wrenches will mangle traditional hex bolts just as bad as cheap chi-knee Torx bits from the red/yellow/green discount offshore one-time-use tool bin. Yet people will forever blame the bolts instead of using a better tool.

Not exactly a lot of torque on intake bolts. Really shouldn't be a problem under normal circumstances...
Old 09-13-2018, 11:16 AM
Supreme Member

Received 422 Likes on 323 Posts
Car: 86 Imponte Ruiner 450GT, 91 Formula
Engine: 350 Vortec, FIRST TPI, 325 RWHP
Transmission: 700R4 3000 stall.
Axle/Gears: 9 Bolt Torsen 3.70

I swapped all my intake bolts to socket head allen stainless steel because the kit was cheap and I have a larger selection of sockets for them (ball tipped, etc). I didn't use a Fel-Pro kit - used one from the manufacturer that used to make Fel-Pro's gaskets for them before they off-shored everything and all their products turned to $hit. And used straight RTV on the china wall. I did have to bead-blast the intake mating surface, fill the pits with epoxy (JB weld), and block sand it smooth to get a proper seal.

GD
Old 09-13-2018, 11:43 AM
Supreme Member

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Car: 87 IROC Z28
Engine: 355 cid TPI
Transmission: Custom Built 700R4 w/3,500 stall
Axle/Gears: QP fab 9" 3.70 Truetrac

Originally Posted by Jbuchanan
I work on newer cars for a living and have a huge investment in my tools. My snap on torx sockets fits alot tighter in a brand new torx bolt than any of the other brands I have. Not saying that you don't have a good socket just saying that could be a culprit. Fwiw I've had my tpi intake completely apart at least 5 or 6 times with what I presume to be the original bolts. Those bolts can strip out easily if the slightest amount of grime is inside them as well.
Absolutely correct! Snap On Torx and Allens are always the best way to go. After some years as a professional, almost all my tools are Snap On. Worth the money. I've also had my TPI off a few times, and several others professionally. Never stripped a Torx bolt head using Snap On tips. And the Torx do need to be clean. Use a pick to dig any crud out of the Torx, brake cleaner and shop air to degrease them. Hex(Allen) head bolts should work fine but be sure to use thick hardened washers on them so the small heads make good tension against the manifold. Watch your bolt lengths. Manifold bolts should be grade 8. Also, the base manifold to cyl head bolts are USS thread(3/8-16), the rest of the intake bolts are metric (8mm-1.25). They may look alot like 5/16-18 but they're not.

For sealing the intake I've learned to use GM Engine Sealant for the china walls. You can buy it at most GM dealers. It's thicker than other RTV. Otherwise, use The Right Stuff from Permatex. It's also thicker than most RTV so it works better to fill the space between the manifold and block. I smear a thin coat of regular RTV (finger tip) around both sides of each coolant passage, leave the intake ports dry. Then use the thread sealant pictured above on the four front a and four rear bolts(where they might go into water). You can use thread sealer on all the bolts, won't hurt anything, just not needed.

Old 09-13-2018, 02:13 PM
Supreme Member

Wurth makes a "Heavy Bodied RTV" that works well. We use Three Bond 1217H these days on most everything. Can get it in the mini-caulk tubes from the Nissan dealers. They have it at the best price.

GD
Old 09-13-2018, 03:26 PM
Supreme Member

If you skip the thread sealer on the middle bolts, you can get oil seeping past the threads. The bolts had sealer applied originally by GM.
Old 09-13-2018, 03:33 PM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1992 Z28 1991 RS
Engine: LB9 LO3
Transmission: 5 speeds

I​​s this sealer ok to use? Any difference in those listed with Teflon or ptfe?
Old 09-13-2018, 05:42 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Ty92Z

That might be more like the sealer that GM uses. Should work fine.
Old 09-13-2018, 06:36 PM
Supreme Member

No need for the "High Temp" version. The reason to use the General Purpose over the High Temp is economy. .20oz of High Temp is $5-6. 1oz of Gen Purp is the same $5-6. So you get 5 times as much product for your kopeks. The 4oz bottle is under $10 and is pretty much a lifetime supply. The 1.7oz tube of High Temp is $13. A kopek saved is a kopek earned. Waste not, want not. Dang ol 401k, tell you what...
Old 09-13-2018, 07:20 PM
Supreme Member

Received 298 Likes on 234 Posts
Car: 92 Firebird
Engine: 4.8 LR4
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.45 9 Bolt

Teflon is the brand name for PTFE, Polytetrafluoroethylene
Old 09-13-2018, 07:36 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Drew
The 4oz bottle is under $10 and is pretty much a lifetime supply...
Only problem with the Teflon liquid is the stuff dries up in the bottle once it's been opened. It finally gets so thick it's useless. Maybe, if you seal it up in a ziploc baggy for storage. Aha, what an idea! Problem here at the shop is 3 guys using it. I'm sure the line techs aint gonna bother with the f-n baggy.

Old 09-13-2018, 10:22 PM
Supreme Member

You want proper sealing and temp resistance - Loctite 545.

GD
Old 09-13-2018, 11:43 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1987 Z28 Camaro
Engine: 305 LG4 4bbl
Transmission: TH700R4

This is probably the best example video of the use of RTV

follow this guys instructions and it should'nt leak - the little corner beads are where a lot of people go wrong