Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

What brand of fuel sending unit?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2018, 12:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1986 IROC Z
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: Auto
What brand of fuel sending unit?

Looking to replace my fuel sending unit this winter as my gauge only goes to 1/4 when full.

What brand or vendor do you guys recommend? Is AC Delco still available out there? If so, where?

Thanks
Old 10-22-2018, 02:22 PM
Supreme Member

Received 422 Likes on 323 Posts
Car: 86 Imponte Ruiner 450GT, 91 Formula
Engine: 350 Vortec, FIRST TPI, 325 RWHP
Transmission: 700R4 3000 stall.
Axle/Gears: 9 Bolt Torsen 3.70
Re: What brand of fuel sending unit?

I think I just used the Dorman to match my Dorman tank. Both fit fine and most (if not all) other brands are probably just rebranded Dorman anyway. Get an AEM 340 LPH pump and a fuel pump wiring kit while you are at it. No sense on going that far in without ensuring that you have plenty of fuel for whatever engine the future may bring.

Contrary to popular belief - AC-Delco is not owned by GM at this point and feels free to source their parts from many sources. My recently purchased AC-Delco fuel cap is clearly made by Motorad - hence the large M on it.

GD
Old 10-22-2018, 02:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1986 IROC Z
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: Auto

Originally Posted by GeneralDisorder
I think I just used the Dorman to match my Dorman tank. Both fit fine and most (if not all) other brands are probably just rebranded Dorman anyway. Get an AEM 340 LPH pump and a fuel pump wiring kit while you are at it. No sense on going that far in without ensuring that you have plenty of fuel for whatever engine the future may bring.

Contrary to popular belief - AC-Delco is not owned by GM at this point and feels free to source their parts from many sources. My recently purchased AC-Delco fuel cap is clearly made by Motorad - hence the large M on it.

GD
Previous owner did a TOTAL hack job and cut an access opening to the tank when he replaced the fuel pump right before I bought it. Of course didn't realize that until I replaced the carpet. Thanks for the info...
Old 10-22-2018, 03:17 PM
Supreme Member

Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts
Car: 1991 Z28 Vert
Engine: 383 single plane efi
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 8.8 with 3.73s

Contrary to popular belief - AC-Delco is not owned by GM at this point and feels free to source their parts from many sources.
GD
That's really interesting.
Fortunately a sending unit is really pretty easy to fix if you can gently pull it apart. There is a good article with pictures on one of the Corvette forums. Next time I'm at a bone yard I'll pull one to try and "adjust" it.
Old 10-23-2018, 08:37 PM

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts
Car: 1989 Trans Am
Engine: L03
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42

I've been running the Spectra Premium piece since July of last year. So far so good.
Old 10-23-2018, 09:56 PM
Supreme Member

Received 751 Likes on 577 Posts
Car: 1988 Trans Am
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt 2.73 Open

Contrary to popular belief - AC-Delco is not owned by GM at this point...
I do not believe that to be true. AC Delco is wholly owned by GM. But they do cater to the aftermarket. If you want factory parts, you go to the dealer parts counter. AC Delco gives GM a line of parts that can be sold in many retail (parts store) outlets, and compete with other major aftermarket players. And that does mean that many parts are repackaged (like your radiator cap). But always with that factory edge. If you go to an AC Delco service center, they have (as an example) a tie into GM, and can reflash your truck ECM for a change in axle ratio (build a new profile for your VIN). Try that with a NAPA service center, or at Pep Boys. So the brand has some advantages for GM in the market place.

Old 10-24-2018, 09:04 AM
Supreme Member

Received 661 Likes on 471 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird

..............Contrary to popular belief - AC-Delco is not owned by GM at this point and feels free to source their parts from many sources. My recently purchased AC-Delco fuel cap is clearly made by Motorad - hence the large M on it.

GD
I do believe the General is correct , and here is my "AC Delco" heater control valve to prove it !

One of these two valves came in a nice , fancy , pricey "AC Delco" box from a GM dealer , and the other came from the auto parts store in a plain cardboard colored box for a much cheaper price .

Can you , DynoDave43 , who appear to be claiming there is some supposed superiority of "AC Delco" parts , identify which valve is which ? (Hint , they are IDENTICAL , right down to the same "Made in Mexico" sticker on both , but with different date of manufacture codes) .

"AC Delco" is now nothing more than a scam , a name used to squeak a few more bucks out of the unsuspecting buyer by preying on their sense of brand loyalty !

I defy anyone to look at my two valves and then try to convince me that the "AC Delco" is somehow superior to the "Everco" . Open your eyes , folks , we're getting BONED here with our sense of brand loyalty being used against us .

Last edited by OrangeBird; 10-24-2018 at 09:39 AM.
Old 10-24-2018, 10:24 AM
Supreme Member

Received 422 Likes on 323 Posts
Car: 86 Imponte Ruiner 450GT, 91 Formula
Engine: 350 Vortec, FIRST TPI, 325 RWHP
Transmission: 700R4 3000 stall.
Axle/Gears: 9 Bolt Torsen 3.70

I checked, and the General Motors Corporation does still hold ACDelco - but the brand is it own entity that sells whatever it wants - need a Alternator for a Honda? No problem ACDelco has you covered. And they do still sell "factory" parts, but because of their relationships with suppliers of all makes and models, when GM (Chevrolet, etc) elects to no longer produce a part or runs out of old stock on a part - ACDelco approaches the same dirty Chinese factory that makes junk for Dorman, Autozone, etc and rebrands that junk instead. The name is meaningless at that point because you really have no idea what you will get.

GD
Old 10-24-2018, 12:40 PM
Supreme Member

I checked, and the General Motors Corporation does still hold ACDelco - but the brand is it own entity that sells whatever it wants - need a Alternator for a Honda? No problem ACDelco has you covered. And they do still sell "factory" parts, but because of their relationships with suppliers of all makes and models, when GM (Chevrolet, etc) elects to no longer produce a part or runs out of old stock on a part - ACDelco approaches the same dirty Chinese factory that makes junk for Dorman, Autozone, etc and rebrands that junk instead. The name is meaningless at that point because you really have no idea what you will get.

GD
Yep , it's plainly obvious both of my valves were made in the same place of the same materials and yet the one in the AC Delco box cost almost 2X than the Everco . At this point it's selling a name , with no increase in quality , even though the name used to mean quality .
Old 10-24-2018, 02:55 PM

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts
Car: 1989 Trans Am
Axle/Gears: 3.42

Definitely have to be vigilant now when buying AC Delco stuff. The ADVANTAGE line is pure garbage. I think the only good stuff is the ones listed as GM Original Equipment.
Old 10-24-2018, 09:36 PM
Supreme Member

Received 751 Likes on 577 Posts
Car: 1988 Trans Am
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt 2.73 Open

That's correct GD. As I said, it's meant to give GM a brand that can be sold in parts stores to compete with other mass market brands, Like a Denso, Wells, Stant, etc. And yes, they are buying and repackaging parts to meet that goal of having parts for many brands of automobile.

I was claiming no superiority in the quality of parts orangebird. I was pointing out that as a GM band, it gave GM some market access it otherwise would not have, and there's value in that for them. Also, in branded service centers (AC Delco, Pep Boys, Napa, Firestone, etc.) that I know the AC Delco centers have some ties to GM from a tech support point of view. That doesn't mean the others are helpless, just that there is some GM support behind the AC Delco brand for shops flying their flag.
Old 10-27-2018, 10:57 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by DynoDave43
That's correct GD. As I said, it's meant to give GM a brand that can be sold in parts stores to compete with other mass market brands, Like a Denso, Wells, Stant, etc. And yes, they are buying and repackaging parts to meet that goal of having parts for many brands of automobile.

I was claiming no superiority in the quality of parts orangebird. I was pointing out that as a GM band, it gave GM some market access it otherwise would not have, and there's value in that for them. Also, in branded service centers (AC Delco, Pep Boys, Napa, Firestone, etc.) that I know the AC Delco centers have some ties to GM from a tech support point of view. That doesn't mean the others are helpless, just that there is some GM support behind the AC Delco brand for shops flying their flag.
Dave , If you weren't claiming superiority in quality then you have my apology for mistaking your post

Now , as to general marketing perception , it was always advertised that "factory" parts were supposed to be mechanically superior to cheaper aftermarket components , in fact GM's "Mr. Goodwrench" campaign made much ado about the superiority of "factory direct" parts & repairs . To find the exact same part in an AC Delco box and an Everco box now means that it's crazy to pay almost 2X the price for fancy packaging (and the not needed tech support to install the same made in Mexico valve no matter which box it came in) .