Cleaning injectors - Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Cleaning injectors

Old 11-08-2018, 07:44 PM
Supreme Member

Cleaning injectors

I知 going to jump into motor shortly to verify whether I have oil being sucked into # 2&4 and if that explains the plug color I知 getting. If all looks good on that point, then I am thinking of having injectors tested and cleaned. Anyone else done this and if so, who did u send it to?

thx
Old 11-08-2018, 07:47 PM
Sponsor

Re: Cleaning injectors

Southbay fuel injectors
Old 11-08-2018, 09:39 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Tuned Performance View Post
Southbay fuel injectors
Tuned,

That’s one place I was considering. Are u recommending them?
Old 11-08-2018, 09:45 PM
Sponsor

Yes, I have had two sets cleaned by them and have bought a few sets of injectors. Highly recommend.
Old 11-08-2018, 10:02 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Tuned Performance View Post
Yes, I have had two sets cleaned by them and have bought a few sets of injectors. Highly recommend.
Tuned,

So which brand injectors had you sent, and what was the result you got?
Old 11-09-2018, 10:28 AM
Sponsor

I sent in some dekas just because they had sat for along time.
i also sent in some from my father in laws fj . It had a bad idle and hesitation. The cleaning and flow testing straighten it out.
i have purchased 19 and 22 Bosch 3 injectors from them.
Old 11-09-2018, 10:43 AM
Supreme Member

I'll let you all in on a little secret - cleaning injectors is largely done with an ultrasonic cleaner (filled with simple-green). Optionally if you have a bench that can cycle the injector during the cleaning this will help speed the process - you can also do this with a 9v battery. You can buy the inlet filter baskets online if they need replaced but often they are fine. Same for o-rings.

That said - new injectors are CHEAP and and often comparable in price to sending them off for cleaning. Cleaning them yourself is easily doable. You just can't flow test them. But honestly if they don't clean up after a couple 20 minute sessions in the ultrasonic - probably best to buy new ones.

GD
Old 11-09-2018, 11:06 AM
Supreme Member

Thanks GD. I would like to have them flow tested before and after. I'm a curious kind of guy (not weird, just inquisitive) and would like to know if there was an issue w any of the injectors. In fact, I will label them because I am trying to determine why I have one or two cylinders running pretty rich while the other ones seem just a touch lean. I'll do this if I find I do not have an issue of oil seeping into the cylinders.
Old 11-09-2018, 01:46 PM
Supreme Member

I don't know what they charge for flow testing and cleaning - but it's usually not much less than a new set. I understand the desire to know. Which is why I bought an injector flow bench in the first place. It was becoming ridiculously expensive and time consuming to have injectors tested so I brought it in-house. Really useful. After a while of doing it though the shine wears off....

If they are Rochester Multec injectors just throw them in the trash. They are garbage and can't be fixed.

GD
Old 11-09-2018, 02:49 PM
Supreme Member

GD,

thx for that. These are Accel 150121, 21# injectors. The LT-5 uses 16 of them. Any chance u would do this?
Old 11-09-2018, 03:27 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Dominic Sorresso View Post
GD,

thx for that. These are Accel 150121, 21# injectors. The LT-5 uses 16 of them. Any chance u would do this?
Yeah I could do it. I can only run 6 of them at a time, but it would be pretty easy to tell if there are any stragglers in the mix. I replaced some Accel injectors on a 90 C4 vette a while back that were only 3 years old and after sitting for a bit 3 out of 8 just up and failed. Not sure how I feel about their Injectors after that experience.

GD

Last edited by GeneralDisorder; 11-09-2018 at 03:35 PM.
Old 11-09-2018, 04:35 PM
Supreme Member

GD,

Well its winter so the ZR isn稚 going anywhere. Again, its not certain I would need to do this. It depends on whether the coloration of my spark plugs is due to oil seepage into the cylinder or because a couple of injectors are not functioning to spec.
But I certainly appreciate ur offer. I should know by next week and then I can give u a heads up.
Many LT-5s utilize the Accels as replacements for the Bosch and I have not heard of anyone having issues like some other injectors. However, this is a set that has been installed for the last 10+ years. I guess we値l see.
I may ohm these out ahead of time.
Old 11-10-2018, 08:55 PM

I have a similar problem with my 91 z28. Fouling #6 and #2 in low miles. Maybe valve seal but running very rich. Will be interested in the results of your cleaning or replacement of the injectors

Old 11-10-2018, 09:19 PM
Supreme Member

Looks like you got acoupla stuck open ones. Probably trash on the pintle.

You can always try soaking em in lacquer thinner; no guarantees, but, it's cheeeeeeeep, and works more often than not. If it doesn't, or whatever, try Southbay (I've used them and was happy with their work) or FIC or any other reputable injector company.
Old 11-10-2018, 09:42 PM
Supreme Member

One of these, some simple green, and a 9v battery. There is really nothing else that can be done for a modern injector. Check the ohms.... heat it up and cycle it a bunch then check the ohms again..... If that fails to correct the deficiency or show the coil fault you throw them out and get another one. These ultrasonic cleaners are AMAZING for small parts also like nuts and bolts. Flip it on and walk away.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2L-Industry...k/372130760756

Rig up the injector to a pump, and pulse it with one of these testers that can open it for an accurate time interval - spray mineral spirits into a graduated container. Compare to all the others.

Amazon Amazon

I'm a DIY kind of guy (why I opened my own shop I suppose) So maybe not for everyone, but it certainly is not impossible to get a really good idea of the injector performance and condition at home in your garage for the cost of a few tools that you might want.

GD

Last edited by GeneralDisorder; 11-10-2018 at 11:08 PM.
Old 11-10-2018, 10:40 PM

GD, do you have a good link from third gen for injectors removals. There are a ton and it sound like you probably would know.
Old 11-10-2018, 11:21 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Barnyard View Post
GD, do you have a good link from third gen for injectors removals. There are a ton and it sound like you probably would know.
I assume you mean on the TPI models? I don't have any specific links..... being a professional mechanic for many years, when it comes to dissasembly I generally just dive in and I dodge, bob, and weave as needed to complete the task. What specific questions do you have? I can tell you a couple things right off.

1. Have a plenum gasket set, fuel pressure regulator kit, and new injector o-rings or a new set of injectors ready to go for the job.

2. Buy a TPI stainless socket head bolt kit from ebay, etc. Once your get the Torx bolts out you will want to replace them with socket head Allen's. This way in the future you can use ball-tipped Allen sockets with a long 1/4" extension to get at all the bolts.

3. For initial removal you will want the 1/4" drive Torx sockets and a long extension.

GD
Old 11-11-2018, 02:02 PM
Sponsor

Originally Posted by Barnyard View Post
if you have multec injectors the coils like to fail.
contact southbay fuel injectors for replacement injectors.
Old 11-11-2018, 11:23 PM
Sponsor

[QUOTE=GeneralDisorder;6261401]I'll let you all in on a little secret - cleaning injectors is largely done with an ultrasonic cleaner (filled with simple-green). Optionally if you have a bench that can cycle the injector during the cleaning this will help speed the process - you can also do this with a 9v battery. You can buy the inlet filter baskets online if they need replaced but often they are fine. Same for o-rings.

That said - new injectors are CHEAP and and often comparable in price to sending them off for cleaning. Cleaning them yourself is easily doable. You just can't flow test them. But honestly if they don't clean up after a couple 20 minute sessions in the ultrasonic - probably best to buy new ones.

GD[/QUOTE

Hey GD...sorry but i have to put my 2 cents into this one. Yes what you say is true however if you want optimal results in cleaning your injectors it needs to be done on a bench. In most cases it is economically better to have your injectors cleaned than replaced with new as not all new injectors are cheap ....and Sometimes it's a wash if you purchase a set of rebuilt ones. But that's the exception not the norm. The benefits of cleaning and flow testing injectors on a bench is as follows:

Compare and observe spray pattern
accurately check flow rate
leak down test at twice the normal pressure
test dynamically
test static
flow on various duty cycles
run injectors to test for steady ohm reading.

People absolutely have a choice as to how they want to clean and flow test their injectors ...either DIY or professionally
Old 11-11-2018, 11:59 PM
Supreme Member

If you have to ship them both ways, and consider the waiting time, it's almost always a wash compared to getting reman ones. Of course it depends on what injectors you are working with and how valuable your time is.
Old 11-13-2018, 11:24 AM
Sponsor

It is a wash in some instances.. We always give our customers the option as to what they want to do. For instance...I don't have to tell you...if the injectors are multecs or anything similar as they are stock on many other applications..including marine.. they're better off replacing them anyway.

Last edited by southbay08; 11-13-2018 at 11:27 AM.
Old 11-13-2018, 11:30 AM
Supreme Member

With the findings that I am documenting in another thread on plug color and BLMs, it looks
like the culprit is not the injectors.