Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Cranks but won’t start. No power.

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2019, 11:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1988 Pontiac Firebird
Engine: 305 V8, TBI
Cranks but won’t start. No power.

Well this started yesterday after I replaced the oil pump in my Firebird. My dad and I jacked up the engine off of its mounts so we could get clearance to remove the oil pan. Well we got the pump and the gasket put on and all back but now the engine won’t start. I’m not getting an spark what’s so ever to the distributor (converted to Carb). But not only to just the distributor but now none of my gauges work at all no buzzers or service engine soon lights either. But the radio, headlights, turn signals, ac, horn, brake lights, started cranks. I just replaced the entire distributor, and the ignition switch too. I just don’t know what’s going on and I hope y’all know.
Old 01-31-2019, 12:55 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1987 Z28 Camaro
Engine: 305 LG4 4bbl
Transmission: TH700R4
Re: Cranks but won’t start. No power.

if youve converted to carb then youll have a very simple setup for distributor. connect a 12v wire from your battery to the distributor. should turn over and start. Once confirmed, disconnect.

The red wire travelling to the back of the distributor should have 12v in Run and Start key positions. If you've recently replaced the ignition switch, something may have gone awry there. Check all the fuses while you are at it.
Old 01-31-2019, 12:59 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1988 Pontiac Firebird
Engine: 305 V8, TBI

Originally Posted by zed-028
if youve converted to carb then youll have a very simple setup for distributor. connect a 12v wire from your battery to the distributor. should turn over and start. Once confirmed, disconnect.

The red wire travelling to the back of the distributor should have 12v in Run and Start key positions. If you've recently replaced the ignition switch, something may have gone awry there. Check all the fuses while you are at it.
Yes all of that checks out fine. The entire distributor is brand new. And I’ll try that tomorrow for sure. All of the fuses are good. Maybe a fusible link?
Old 01-31-2019, 06:52 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1987 Z28 Camaro
Engine: 305 LG4 4bbl
Transmission: TH700R4

Possible, thats why i suggested connecting 12v directly to get it started, that will rule out any distributor or coil issues.

From there, if standing in front of the car looking at the engine bay, you are looking for a fat pinkish red wire from the back right hand corner main loom, trace that to the distributor, see if shes got 12v in both Start and Run.
Old 02-01-2019, 10:00 AM
Supreme Member

Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird
Engine: 5.7 LS1
Transmission: T56

Sounds like you may have broken the ground strap behind the heads. Or left one disconnected. Take a jumper cable (a good think set for starting a car not hobby electronics) and clip one end to the engine block and the other end to clean sheet metal or the K-member so that you have a clean ground path from the engine to the body. Since the stock wiring only has the battery cable go to the engine I'm guessing you are not getting a good enough ground to the body. If this works fix the grounding straps.