TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cranks, won't start - noid lite won't blink

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2005, 08:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cranks, won't start - noid lite won't blink

I am at the end of my rope, so I have to post here. I have a L98 enginge with SD computer in my old car. I have a painless harness I just installed. (new EFI engine install). I'm using a 7730 computer and I can burn my own prom. I also have a factory AUJP memcal.

Here is the deal. The car just cranks. My new plugs are bone dry. I got a noid light, Nothing. No flash at all. I read up here a lot on this type of problem, so I went and got a new Ignition module. That didn't help either. I have a brand new coil too. When in changed the ign module, the wires to the module were crusty green. I cleaned them up and installed the new module.

I have taken a keyed power wire and connected it to the purple wire on the distributor plug while the noid light is installed and the key is on. When I remove the wire, the fuel pump runs for a few secs, then I touch the wire again to the purple and nothing until I remove the wire. The fuel pump runs again, but I never get any blink on the noid. I did this with the TPS unplugged too and that didn't really change much. I think the fuel pump ran when I touched instead.

I had built a cable from an AKM kit and I can't get it to work, so I can't see the datalog right now. I think I f-ed it up somehow when soldering, even though it looks perfect. I did download some aldltest software from tts and that fails, so I'm not able to "view" the computer right now.

Anyone have any ideas. I'm desperate. This engine conversion is killing me, eating up too much time and money. I'm so frustrated, as you can probably imagine.

Any thing I can try?

Thanks!
-darren
Old 02-13-2005, 10:17 PM

Car: 1991 Z28
Engine: 350
Transmission: 700R4
could be the vats system i think that shuts off the injectors
Old 02-14-2005, 08:28 AM

Is there somthing else needed to turn off VATS other than unchecking vats in TunerRT?

Under "vats enable(b4)", I have it unchecked. Actually, I have bits 0-7 unchecked, not just bit 4 for vats.

I'm using a 730v3-md.ecu file with a modified axcn bin.

My memcal is a brand new aujp from gmpartsdirect.com. When I remove the moates adapter and plug the memcal straight in, the engine behaves exactly the same.

I'm going to call Painless Performance today too.

confused,
-darren
Old 02-14-2005, 10:01 AM
doc
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: '87 IROCZ
Engine: 395 ZZ4
Transmission: ProBuilt 700R4
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt 3.70s
I had this same problem. The electronics in the distributor sends a signal to fire the injectors. My noid lite would not fire. Its the electronics in the dzzy that went bad for me. I bought a new MSD dizzy and the engine fired up immediately.

I could not believe that the electronics went bad just sitting on a shelf in my garage !!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-14-2005, 10:48 AM

doc,
I replaced the ignition module in the dizzy last night. Are you saying the rest of the distributor may be the culprit?

btw, are you in Ohio too? I see you ran at Norwalk.
Old 02-14-2005, 11:56 AM
doc
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: '87 IROCZ
Engine: 395 ZZ4
Transmission: ProBuilt 700R4
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt 3.70s
I lived and worked in the Akron/Canton area for 52 years, now I'm at Ford in Dearborn. Go figure. Yes, I have run a few times at Norwalk, but when I was in Ohio, I mostly went to Dragway 42.

I dont know what part of the dizzy it is, I guess the ignition module. I simply bought an entire new dizzy to solve my problem.

Call this guy in Norton, Ohio,, he has done work on my two Camaros and has his own shop. He is the one who help me with the cause of my start problem we are discussing here. Ken at 330-753-1111,, tell him Doc says hello.

Corrected phone #, sorry.

Last edited by doc; 02-14-2005 at 12:49 PM.
Old 02-14-2005, 12:07 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 2009 Pontiac G8 GXP
Engine: LS3
Transmission: 6L80E
Axle/Gears: 3.27
The "rest of the electronics in the distributor" would be the pickup coil, which detects when the distributor shaft is spinning. If the pickup coil is bad, there is no signal to the control module and therefore, no signal to the ECM to fire the injectors.

Check the pickup coil...

Good luck!

Adam
Old 02-14-2005, 10:17 PM

It was the computer. I got another from a bone yard today and installed it. The noid light now lights up and the engine tries to start at first crank. I think I may need a new set of injectors. The engine is trying to start up, but doesn't seem to have enough fuel or something. At least this will be easier to track down, hopefully.

Thanks for all the help!
-darren
Old 02-16-2005, 01:28 PM

Car: Which one?
Engine: 355
Transmission: 465
cranknorun1/2.jpg

Thats for an '88 MAF car, but its why a factory service manual is necessary for anyone trying to fix these systems unless they like dumping money into it trying to get lucky as to whats wrong.