Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

HELP! - 92 Firebird wont crank nor start. NSS?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2019, 06:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP! - 92 Firebird wont crank nor start. NSS?

Hi everyone, yesterday i had a problem with my 1992 3.1 Firebird automatic, i drove it to the carwash, turned it off while i waited for a slot, and then, 2 minutes later, when i try to to start it, it wouldnt start or crank. The battery seemed fine, when road assistance came we tried to jumpstart it but to no avail. We also tried tapping the starter and it didnt do anything, so i had the car towed back home.
This is what happens: I introduce and turn the key to unlock the wheel and turn on the gauges, all seems normal, the engine service light lights up (the owner manual says it should before you start it), seatbelt warning etc... With the gear on P i turn the key in order to start the engine, nothing happens, not a single sound, the temperature gauge goes up while I keep the key turned, and the brake warning lights up plus the radio goes off, everything normal, it just wont start. Ive been searching this forum, aswell as the internet and 88 firebird serive manual i managed to download and i think it may be the neutral safety switch. Ive read some threads about other years models and all seem to suggest to bypass the NSS by hotwiring two cables, but the colors of the others models seem to be different, anyone knows what i need to do in order to bypass my 92 firebird NSS? I have also tried starting it on N as well as all the other gears, i removed the central console top in order to access the shifter and the NSS, i tried moving it a bit but nothing. Im also incpable of removing the conector with the cables, i tried pushin the tab and pulling it with all my strenght and nothing, im afraid of breaking it, so i assume i will have to remove the whole central console in order to pull it. I also cheked the fuses none seems burned. If anyone has any tips or advice for getting my car to work i will be grateful. I dont live in the USA so any parts i order will take weeks to arrive, i need some sort of temporal fix while i order a new switch (if thats actually the problem) and i really need to use the car. Thanks in advance!

PS:Forgive my bad english, still learning.
Old 05-20-2019, 06:31 PM
Sponsor

Received 649 Likes on 573 Posts
Car: 1967 Camaro, 91 z28
Engine: Lb9
Transmission: M20
Axle/Gears: J65 pbr on stock posi 10bolt
Re: HELP! - 92 Firebird wont crank nor start. NSS?

This might be a vats issue, have you tested for power at the nss and starter enable relay ?
Old 05-20-2019, 06:33 PM
Sponsor

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/elec...pass-vats.html
Old 05-20-2019, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by Tuned Performance
This might be a vats issue, have you tested for power at the nss and starter enable relay ?
Im unable to unplug the wires of the NSS, so no. Im going to try to use a multimeter on the Starter Enable Relay, Its near the fusebox right?
Old 05-20-2019, 06:42 PM
Sponsor

See the link above, the enable relay is under the drivers side kick panel.
Old 05-20-2019, 09:28 PM

Okay, things just got more complicated, seems one of the previous owners put some sort of secret switch, probably a killswitch, under the drivers side, the inner cover was a bit hanging and covering it so ive never noticed until now. Obiously i tried switching it several times but it doesnt do anything, car still wont start. Also, down there is a mess a lot of duct tape and DIY rewiring. I dont know if some wiring got messed up because of that secret switch, the VATS or the NSS. I give up, tomorrow i will take it to the mechanic, this is way above my hability. I will show him the thread about bypassing the VATS so i can get rid of it anyway, hopefully it will be an easy and fast repair.
Old 05-20-2019, 10:57 PM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Car: 1992 Z28
Engine: 383
Transmission: 700R4

When you turn your key to on is your security light lit up?
Old 05-20-2019, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by tealman92
When you turn your key to on is your security light lit up?
No, only service engine light, which always lights up until the engine has started (As per owners manual).

Last edited by STS223; 05-20-2019 at 11:36 PM.