Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Nasty fuel leak! Someone help with proper part id please

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2019, 07:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1985 z28
Engine: 305 4bbl
Transmission: 5speed
Nasty fuel leak! Someone help with proper part id please

I’m driving a 1986 z28 with a carbed 350. I went to start the car after working on the exhaust and fuel started pouring from the engine bay. On closer inspection it seems to be leaking from the line that goes from the fuel sender to the carb but I noticed part is threaded and the rest is just hose after the inline filter. Anyone know what I should order to replace it? Car show is next week and I really need her running again. I’ve uploaded some pictures. Red circle is the leak and green circles are

The leak is in 2 spots, in the line above the worm clamp and there is a crack in the metal line going into the sending unit

The leak is in 2 spots, in the line above the worm clamp and there is a crack in the metal line going into the sending unit

the sending unit and filter
Old 05-27-2019, 10:30 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,688 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere
Re: Nasty fuel leak! Someone help with proper part id please

That's MESSED UP with a capital F. All pretty much a giant death trap.

The large thing bolted to the block is not a "sender"; it's the fuel pump.

You need to just replace that entire fuel line from the pump to the carb. GET RID OF that filter and the rubber line. As long as that crap is on your car, it's just a time bomb waiting for the golden opportunity to start a fire and burn your car to the ground. I'd suggest braided stainless PTFE, 6-AN.

Alternatively, if you have a tubing bender and a double-flaring tool and lots of patience, you can make a new one out of 3/8" brake line. You can just about perfectly duplicate the original that way.

Looks like a trip to the quarter car wash would be beneficial as well, and maybe some new NON-CORK valve cover gaskets and some "load spreaders", after you straighten their flanges out where the screws have been over-tightened.

That … excrement … in the photo sure doesn't look "car show" grade to me. Needs some serious love and attention to detail in an overall and complete way.
Old 05-27-2019, 11:39 AM
Supreme Member

Received 162 Likes on 134 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC-Z 305 LB9 AT Convertible
Engine: LB9 305
Transmission: AT

I recommend you install a new fuel pump and buy a new ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT STYLE* fuel line, going from the pump to carb.

* one of the Camaro parts vendors likely offers a reproduction

Last edited by mikeceli; 05-27-2019 at 12:11 PM.
Old 05-27-2019, 12:07 PM
Supreme Member

Received 420 Likes on 301 Posts
Car: 1986 IROC Z
Engine: 5.0 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.23 Posi

Good grief; that's a blazing fire looking for a victim. Get a piece of steel brake line, a flaring tool, and a couple of fittings and get rid of that mess.

If all that is beyond your ability, get it to a repair shop pronto.