Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

EGR Solenoid Vacuum Lines are they both the same?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2020, 01:57 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
EGR Solenoid Vacuum Lines are they both the same?

When I was replacing my EGR solenoid I pulled the vacuum tubes out of the solenoid. I put them back but was curious if it mattered which went to the throttle body and which one went to the EGR valve? Or are they both the same? I'm thinking if there is a difference between the two I may have hooked them up backwards.
Thanks
Old 06-25-2020, 03:01 PM
Supreme Member

Received 145 Likes on 119 Posts
Car: 92 Firebird, 77 Trans Am SE, 86 Z28
Engine: 5.7 HSR, T/A 6.6, empty
Transmission: T-5, TH350, T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.08 posi, 3.23 posi, 3.23
Re: EGR Solenoid Vacuum Lines are they both the same?

They're not both the same. The one that goes to the egr will vent. The other that goes to the TB will dead head, otherwise it will be a vacuum leak, and you'll also get a code 32. I don't remember which one is which off hand. You could search or test it out yourself with a vacuum pump or you know blowing through it.
Old 06-25-2020, 04:23 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,688 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere

Right: The one you can blow through when the solenoid is not powered, is the one that goes to the valve.
Old 06-25-2020, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by sofakingdom
Right: The one you can blow through when the solenoid is not powered, is the one that goes to the valve.
So if I unplug the vacuum line at the throttle body (easier to access) and blow through it easily then it is not in the right orifice in the EGR solenoid.
Old 06-25-2020, 09:16 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,688 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere

Don't think "throttle body"; think, "EGR solenoid". The solenoid has 2 connections. Blow through each.

If you can blow through it easily, it's the one that belongs going to the valve.

If you CAN'T blow through it, it goes to the vacuum source, probably the throttle body.

Iunno DIDDLY, nor CARE, about "easy to access". Either you DO want to know, in which case you'll do what it takes to find out; or you DON'T, in which case you're like all the other poseurs out there that either want to be spoon-fed, or don't want to exert themselves in the slightest. Which are YOU???

Get off your butt and JUST DO IT.
The following users liked this post:
T.L. (06-25-2020)
Old 06-25-2020, 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by sofakingdom
Don't think "throttle body"; think, "EGR solenoid". The solenoid has 2 connections. Blow through each.

If you can blow through it easily, it's the one that belongs going to the valve.

If you CAN'T blow through it, it goes to the vacuum source, probably the throttle body.

Iunno DIDDLY, nor CARE, about "easy to access". Either you DO want to know, in which case you'll do what it takes to find out; or you DON'T, in which case you're like all the other poseurs out there that either want to be spoon-fed, or don't want to exert themselves in the slightest. Which are YOU???

Get off your butt and JUST DO IT.
I had it hooked up correctly. I blew through the TB vacuum line because it was easiest to access. I just switch what tube it was in (front to back) on the EGR solenoid until I couldn't blow through it. The other side blew through.