Third Gen Association of Ontario Regional message board for everyone in Southern Ontario and nearby regions.

CALENDAR IDEAS

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2002, 03:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JohnyIroc - Your are now the offical grafic desinger for our new calendar

To the rest of you - I need a volunteer to take the pictures.

As for the 12 cars....I think we need to get creative. How to choose the 12 cars hmmmmmmmmm. I don't want to single out those who's car runs great but looks uhm you know, Brad's car for example, out of the calendar because of it's condition. So, I propose that out of the 12 we say:

2 - Project cars
2 - Dyno day event winners (I think we should have 2 events yearly. One in the begining and one in the end)
2 - track day event winners (We will select two events were the winners will get their cars in the picture)
6 - A vote to be held on our Ontario Board on who gets in. We can even vote for ourselves. Everyone gives their reason why for their selection and the moderators and myself will count the ballots and select the winners based on number of votes. I think this is pretty fair don't you think?

John/Paul - take my post and put it in a new sticky. Lets get some input and we can go from there. I'll look into the cost of doing the calendars. I have myself, John on the working group so far. As mentioned I require 1 photographer.

Don't be shy. Give us your input. Thanks Everyone.

88redxtsy

Last edited by 88redxtsy; 10-09-2002 at 04:56 PM.
Old 10-09-2002, 06:25 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 91 Z28 Vert
Engine: 305
Transmission: TKO
Axle/Gears: 3.55 10-bolt
That sounds good man....I will offer my services in whatever capacity they may be needed...also I would like to see that blue/purple beast of mine in there!
Old 10-09-2002, 07:30 PM
KWF

I'll reiterate my suggestion of picking a day, spot to drive everyone and get pics. Some place central and picturesque that you can get a number of backgrounds in one afternoon without driving all over.

Local to K/W would be Elora for example.

Then have some bbq or something once the pics are done.

Sounds like a great project.
I know who i'm voting for since my car doesn't qualify
Old 10-09-2002, 09:55 PM

heres what I think should happen. By no means am I being bossy or trying to wine about what should be done just saying what I think.
1. People send photos of their car in. Any low quality pics are disqualified. We then host them on a sticky or website and take votes. The problem with the cruz idea (which would be good to get it done all in a day) is that you are singling out people who cant make it cause of other commitments or are to far away. This way you will get pics all over the province instead of just representing gta or whatever... It would be gay if you put stats for the cars and all car locations were listed in the gta. Not a good way to represent 3rd gens in ontario. But a cruz would still be a good idea for anyone who wants good pics of their car for the calender.

2. Post stats on the car like best ET and trap speed, major mods, name if it has one, location, year, model, maybe a few words from the owner (?)...

3. Like james said, we all vote. Pic out the cars etc.

4. Even if its not for a month, just like a title page or back cover, a collage of all the cars. go look at the photo album thread, alot of great cars to just pic 12.

5. dyno day event winners doesnt make sense... some people just dont care about hp just 1/4 mile. And these are our fastest cars as far as I know (paul, daz, karsten, dave etc..) And again its biased to people in TO unless you allow other people to win the event by posting dyno sheets taken around the same date somewhat.

6. As for project cars, I dont think you will find a car on here that is finished

I would say more like-
1- camaro track day winner
1- firebird track day winner
1- dyno day/sheet poster winner
we vote for the rest. But something like categories where we can all vote once in each category. Some thing like, 82-86, 87-92, 100% stock, show car, highly modifieds etc.

I know it sounds like alot but it would be pretty easy if we just get a bunch of pics, shrink them onto a few sticky posts (one for each category) with a poll, vote for a week or 2, whip up some calenders.
greg
Old 10-10-2002, 02:36 AM
Banned

I don't care how it's done... but if it keeps going.. the cars that weren't in the prior year, should get first dibs on the next year.

I have loads of good quality picsof my car And it's easy to get more with my handy digital camera.

If anyone is interested, I have my digital camera, and there are some good scenery in the Niagara Region.. I'd be willing to meet up for some pictures.. then I can put them on CD for ya.
Old 10-10-2002, 11:20 AM
Supreme Member

I don't have a good digi cam or I would be happy to take pics.
Old 10-10-2002, 12:55 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1987 iroc-z custom
Engine: 355 tuned port
Transmission: 5spd baby, only way to go
Axle/Gears: 3.45
id love to be a part of the calender..although my iroc doesnt support what this board deems as a suitable iroc...so ill pick from what i see fit to being the best

iroc2nv
Old 10-10-2002, 01:03 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1990 Iroc Z Convertible
Engine: LB9
Transmission: 700R4
You know what I always wanted to do, is make a thirdgen calender and in the specific date boxes put interesting pieces of thirdgen info.Like lets say on the Dec 20 th box(not sure if this is the right date) you could have " this day in 1989, the last Iroc rolls off the assembly line in Van Nuys" Or on another date This day in 1987, Norwood assembly plant closes"So the calender would be informative as well as nice to look at.
Old 10-10-2002, 02:44 PM

zedder1990 - I like that idea. I'll keep that in mind. Maybe I'll ask for a couple of volunteers to devote their time in researching historical thirdgen dates.
Old 10-10-2002, 02:50 PM
TGO Supporter

Car: Chrysler 300c
Engine: 5.7L Hemi
Transmission: 5spd auto
Axle/Gears: 2.89
make a post on the history board
Old 10-10-2002, 08:36 PM

Historical Timeline

Originally posted by 88redxtsy
zedder1990 - I like that idea. I'll keep that in mind. Maybe I'll ask for a couple of volunteers to devote their time in researching historical thirdgen dates.
I got some Thirdgen yr stats........but no specific dates just yrs !!

but let me know i could do that .........if know one else takes it !!

Mark
Old 10-11-2002, 04:23 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1992 Z28
Engine: 355
I think the best looking cars should be represented.......Palric's Formula, Easy's Z, Irocker's IROC, Nathan's GTA, Dave's IROC, Buddy's GTA, Stiffler's Z, Steve's IROC, Jordan's TA and that blue RS from sudbury. Those are my favorites.
Old 10-11-2002, 07:11 AM
KWF

Get a couple good action shots at Cayuga this weekend.

TriggerGTA took some great ones at Grand Bend a few weekends ago... he caught a couple cars right as their tires were gripping for launch and the nose was lifting up... good stuff!
Old 10-11-2002, 07:20 AM

IMO, there should be 6 camero's and 6 bird's, alternating months.
But, total package cars. Could have split pics, with engine and/or interior shots as well.
Old 10-11-2002, 09:22 AM

I'm glad this is picking up interest. So far I have on the working group :

Myself
JohnyIroc - Graphics
Tanager11 - historical dates
Z-rr-Guy - historical dates
Paul - Voting
**** - Photographer

I still need a photographer with a high quality digital camera!!(TriggerGTA?????)

Paul - you being the moderator(and since John is already offering his services to do graphic degin)you can set up an offical Post for voting the 12 cars that make the calendar.

This calendar will happen 100% guaranteed!!

Thanks for all the input. Keep it coming.
Old 10-11-2002, 02:34 PM

I've got a decent digital camera... but I have no formal training in photography.
Old 10-11-2002, 02:55 PM

Originally posted by Acceld Z
I think the best looking cars should be represented.......Palric's Formula, Easy's Z, Irocker's IROC, Nathan's GTA, Dave's IROC, Buddy's GTA, Stiffler's Z, Steve's IROC, Jordan's TA and that blue RS from sudbury. Those are my favorites.
good picks.
Pacers camaro is nice as well. Its good for the earlier fbodies, looks likes its in good condition and is a pacer Is it all stock? Anyone else have a good condition 82-84 bird? Might not be the smoothest looking 3rd gens but they are often overlooked and damn nice compared to other cars of the time.
greg

Last edited by ninety1TAgta; 10-11-2002 at 03:22 PM.
Old 10-11-2002, 03:17 PM

Ninety1TAgta's idea is great. Thats the best way to do it, in my opinion. Just for the great idea, his TA should be front cover????

---- IMO, there should be 6 camero's and 6 bird's, alternating months.
But, total package cars. Could have split pics, with engine and/or interior shots as well. ---- ALSO A GREAT IDEA
Old 10-11-2002, 03:28 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 84 Trans Am
Engine: 350
Transmission: 700r4
[/QUOTE]Anyone else have a good condition 82-84 bird?
[/QUOTE]

i have an 84 Trans Am. it looks okay at best when it is clean but pretty good for the milage 260, 000, however the rims and tires look real nice when they are shined up. plus it has a 355. whether it is calender worthy, i doubt it, but you guys can decide

Last edited by darbleinad; 10-11-2002 at 03:30 PM.
Old 10-11-2002, 03:30 PM

Originally posted by theREIS
Ninety1TAgta's idea is great. Thats the best way to do it, in my opinion. Just for the great idea, his TA should be front cover????

---- IMO, there should be 6 camero's and 6 bird's, alternating months.
But, total package cars. Could have split pics, with engine and/or interior shots as well. ---- ALSO A GREAT IDEA
lol I would love to be featured anywhere. I doubt the finished product would show my scratches and cracks on the good side but its still not a nice enough paint job to be in the calendar.
Paintjob is #1 this winter though. So far Im thinking of that dark metallic blue you see on 4th gens (quite possibly with more metallic flakes for a more interesting look) or a shiny bmw black. The deciding factor will probly be price but I am saving up around 1000$ for paint/clearcoat so I think that should get me either one. My only turn off of the metallic blue is that if I needed to touch it up I would have to soda blast and re-paint the whole panel.
greg
Old 10-11-2002, 04:15 PM
Banned

I have a friend with a $800 Camera with special lenses and adjustable exposure rates... pictures turn up great with this camera.... I can ask him for a bit of his time, if you guys are serious about this. I'll post a picture that he took of my beater car, well, back when it wasn't a beater car.. LOL
Old 10-11-2002, 04:22 PM
Banned

Here's a picture he took, this was taking in the dark, with only a street light for lighting.... you can see the lights of cars in the background that look like they were going really fast... lol.. I said something about exposure.. it wasn't that he changed, it's the shutter, he can adjust how long it stays open.
Attached Thumbnails CALENDAR IDEAS-untitled2.jpg  
Old 10-11-2002, 04:37 PM

Uhh... what kind of footprint is that?
Old 10-11-2002, 05:23 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 84 Trans Am
Engine: 350
Transmission: 700r4
bwhahahahah.....no kidding....whats going on there?
Old 10-12-2002, 12:00 AM
Supreme Member

Most 35mm cameras have the capability to manipulate shutter speeds and exposures, i'm not sure what kind of flexibility the new digital cameras have. I took a photography course in college so I know the ins and outs of using a 35 mm slr camera. Maybe we could hire a professional ? The owners of the twelve cars that are picked can split the cost of the photog shoot. Maybe with the blessing of Dirk this calender could be offered for sale to all the thirdgen.org members? I'd like a high quality calender A la Road and Track, big pictures, and chalk full of interesting info.The printing costs may be very expensive. By offering it to all members we could offset the cost of a high quality product by having placed orders. This is something I've always wanted to do, however I lack initiative and drive.We do own one of the best looking eras of the F body and it deserves the best calender we can produce. But I'm a dreamer
Old 10-12-2002, 12:06 AM
Banned

My buddy aslso took photography in college... And you don't have to "hire" him...

The footprint is there because it was a highschool parking lot... the Centinnial Cougars, I think... so the foot print is a cougar print.

I will ask him for his help, but you guys have to figure out a date so I can tell him in advance
Old 10-12-2002, 12:38 AM
Supreme Member

Nathan, thats great that we can use the services of your friend. Does he have all the equipment that we might need? Like solar reflectors, maybe lights and diffusers? Owning a black car I know what kind of problems can arise from shooting in sunlight, the camera exposes for the scene but you end up getting the right exposure for the surrounding area but the car is very dark. You can Digitally enhance the photo but if the detail was not there to begin with it will not be there after enhancement. This is the only reason why I suggested using a Pro.We can fabricate reflectors, but lighting might be tough(diffusers help take out the harshness of direct lighting). It all depends on what we are trying to accomplish. Upon reflection a high quality digitall camera will do just fine. I'm just trying to shed some light on potential problems we might encounter. I work in the TV buisness and you would be surprised at how many Proffessional F ups I encounter.

Last edited by zedder 1 9 9 0; 10-12-2002 at 12:43 AM.
Old 10-12-2002, 02:02 AM
Banned

I still have to talk to him to see if he'll do it... I am not sure what other stuff he has... but the pictures he took of my GTA with normal film, turned out nice...

Old 10-12-2002, 07:08 AM
Daz
Supreme Member

Car: 87 Camaro
Engine: Chevy V8
Transmission: auto
Originally posted by nblanchard
I still have to talk to him to see if he'll do it... I am not sure what other stuff he has... but the pictures he took of my GTA with normal film, turned out nice...

The 1st on is hazy and the last two are out of focus..Notice how much brighter the backgrounds are..IMO..FYI my dad is a professional photographer but he's 2000 miles away..lol

Daz
Old 10-12-2002, 07:28 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 91 Z28 Vert
Engine: 305
Transmission: TKO
Axle/Gears: 3.55 10-bolt
Hard to tell on a computer screen with the Pixes etc....nblanchard those pics look good.
Old 10-12-2002, 01:15 PM
Supreme Member

Car: Bonnievillie
Engine: 3.8L
yeahhh... I dont think u guys would want my car in the calender.
Body wise its not the prettiest...
but itz up to u dudez
Old 10-12-2002, 01:34 PM
Banned

Those pictures were quick ones just for me... Just trying to help us in saving some money. Let me know, and I will ask
Old 10-12-2002, 09:59 PM

Car: 1984 Z/28
Engine: 383 stroker
Transmission: T-5
Third Gen Research

I've got a pretty decent library here on Camaros and specifically Third Gens. I'd be glad to take care of the research. I'd also love to see my "baby" make the calendar!
Tracey
Old 10-12-2002, 11:56 PM
Banned

Tracey, I am going to get you some center caps for your car.. call it a wedding gift or something
Old 10-13-2002, 07:12 AM

Actually, I have all 4..just not in that pic. But thanks for drawing attention to it. I'll file this with the comment about the "dirty plate" that is actually a tinted plate cover.
Old 10-13-2002, 01:01 PM
Supreme Member

Car: Bonnievillie
Engine: 3.8L
I like the picture where she is just about getting out of the car, I seen that one not long ago that copperchick posted, thats a pretty good action/women/car shot...
Old 10-15-2002, 09:25 AM

Tracy - we can use all the help we can get. Welcome aboard. You can help with the reaserch. Don't forget about the birds

Nathan - If you can get your friend to help that would be great! I'd like some shots with the falls in the background or at Lundy's Lane.

This is going great. Not 100% on a completion date. Need to finish arrangements for the calendars. Have to get a firm price on cost first.

I will be talking with Paul and John for some ideas on how to fairly select the 12 cars. We will have a voting post where everyone has a picture of their cars and we count the number of votes(poll) for the favorites.

I'll let everyone know once a decision is made.

Thanks again for all your input.

88redxtsy
Old 10-15-2002, 10:50 AM

Kewl! I have a friend who's going to shoot some digital footage of my car anywho, so I can have him do some stills as well. Are we going with just car or car and ownder shots?

Glad to help out with the research!

Tracey
Old 10-15-2002, 12:23 PM

I was thinking this for the layout:

One main photo of the car with a small bio of the car

Inset pictures will include:

One picture of owner and a small bio of the owner

4 pictures of:

One Exterior
One Interior
One Engine
One Different angle exterior shot

I believe this is the best way to go in terms of set-up. Layout will be decided on later with the graphic designers input.
Old 10-15-2002, 12:47 PM
Banned

That sounds cool... kind alike picture-in-picture shots

I will talk to my buddy... he was down this weekend, missed a good time to ask..
Old 10-17-2002, 11:50 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 86 IROC
Engine: LQ4 6.0L
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.55 8.8
Hey guys, I'm all for the calendar idea. I finally dug up these shots from Dayton Beach..a fine example of a 3rd gen!

hint...hint
Attached Thumbnails CALENDAR IDEAS-neil300dpi20-.jpg  
Old 10-20-2002, 08:22 PM

has this calender idea hit the potty already or what? We only got a month max before were swimming in pow pow people... Why dont we start some voting posts or something?
greg
Old 10-20-2002, 08:49 PM

I think we're aiming for next year when all the cars are out man.
Old 10-20-2002, 10:36 PM

If you need help graphics or layout wise just let me know, I'm pretty good with Photoshop.
Old 10-20-2002, 11:42 PM

Originally posted by johnyIROC
I think we're aiming for next year when all the cars are out man.

I guess that makes sens but then your making it for the 2004 year? Thats pretty far away. I doubt I will even be in ontario when 2004 comes around.
greg
Old 10-21-2002, 11:23 AM

Sorry to those who expected this for 2003. But to be realistic, it's just not going to happen. I hope to have the final package for sale by Fall 2003 (they'll make great christmas gifts ).

I could rush this But the end product will be **** and I want to make this look professional.

Voting will be done next year in the spring so that the pictures can be taken on a summer day.

Just because you won't be in Ontario dosn't mean you can't buy a calendar

88redxtsy
Old 10-21-2002, 03:51 PM

Actually 2004 doesnt sound bad... my car will actually look decent enough for a possible feature by springtime Me or palric anyway, we need atleast one 91-92 bird . Makes sense to wait if it will be a better product. Someone should take their car out in the winter for some snowy background shots for the calender (possibly?), it is Ontario after all.
greg
Old 10-22-2002, 08:04 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 83WS6TA
Engine: ZZ4
Transmission: TH350C
Axle/Gears: 3:23
As some of you have a grafix background you could probably do as well as any low cost professional photographer. To get someone really good to do it would cost a lot - thousands.

If you end up choosing 12 cars and taking them to different locations do it in the very early morning and late afternoon when the light temperature is warm and even. Mid day lighting is too cold and too harsh. It will have even more contrast when printed.

I don't think that you could do 12 location shots in one day though as has been suggested. All the shots would be to similar anyway. So maybe have some shots that are set up and some that are candid - like a good shot of a car at the track or something. Could also do some graphix stuff like that shot of IROCERs hood with the flames.

Reflections are a big problem with car pictures so remember to look at them when you're shooting because they really stand out later.

I don't know anything about digital cameras but I'm guessing they might be best for this. I'm assuming that you can have a look at the image on a lap top or something and then make changes as needed before taking the final shot. It was common practice in the past to shoot polaroids first and then transparancies once you had the lighting and composition right.

As for ordinary film - transparancy will give the best reproduction in print because the separations are taken directly from the film at the printing stage. Problematic though because transparancy is very difficult to expose properly. It has only 3 stops latitude and it's too sensitive to blue light so you have to filter it with yellow or some combination thereof and make sure that the lighting is not too contrasty - hence shooting in the early morning or late afternoon.

I would expect digital images to reproduce on paper as well as transparancy and they can probably be colour corrected at the printing stage more easily than transparancy.
Old 10-28-2002, 09:59 AM

To those who volunteered to do the historical research for F-bodies:

ZdrGuy
Tanager11
Copperchick

....all camoro drivers hmmmmmmmmm....I don't know if you have but could you start soon and get back to me by PM with your search results. If it would be easier, you could e-mail it to me as an attached document to my work e-mail. I would liket o get this out of the way early so that I can complete the calendar section. Once that's done I'll ask Johnny Iroc and Sinoed to start coming up with the layout and background. My plan is to have everything prepared by spring so that only the pictures are left complete.

This isn't a dead project. Just needs patience. Voting will be done in the new year. I'll talk to Paul regarding this.

One more important thing..How much are you people willing to pay for a calendar?? I'm thinking of doing it in an average size of 8 1/2 by 11 flip open calendar. You know, the one that car suppliers give for free with the bikini chicks

I need to know this upfront.

Thanks

P.S. Paul/John - could I get a sticky asking the ontario group what their willing to pay for a calendar. This is kind of important.

Thanks
Old 10-28-2002, 03:42 PM

As soon as I know what you need researched exacly, I can have it for you.

Quick Reply: CALENDAR IDEAS