TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

engine bogs then dies while driving

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2003, 05:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
engine bogs then dies while driving

while driving at about 40mph today the car sputtered/bogged and then the motor died on me. it started back up and drove ok for a few mins then did it again.

any ideas? fuel pump, tune-up?
Old 01-04-2003, 05:30 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1982 Z28
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T56
Sounds like fuel pump, whip out your fuel pressure guage and check it out.

If the pump checks fine, your ignition module may be on the way out.
Old 01-04-2003, 07:10 PM

kevin,

i don't have a f/p gauge nor do i know how to use one. any other suggestions to know if it's the pump? how difficult is it to change the pump? location etc?

thanks,
-fox
Old 01-04-2003, 07:21 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1982 Z28
Uhhh...no gauge, no manual, no ability to look up procedures...kevinc slowly backs away from this one...
Old 01-05-2003, 09:08 AM

i do have a haynes manual, but it gives conflicting info. one one page it says the fuel pump is in the gas tank then in another pic they have it near the engine block, that's why i asked for location. i'm a novice at this stuff so it's cool if you don't want to go any further.

anyone else have any input on this?
Old 01-05-2003, 11:42 AM

I have an 88 IROC, 350 TPI, my fuel pump is in the gas tank, and I aswell am a novice What I do know is that it would be a nightmare for one of us to replace that pump. When IS that last time you had a tune up? Usually what happens to guys like us is we bring it to a mechanic cos we suck. But tune ups are fairly easy, I can do them so It's not that hard. Id check your plugs too, and wires. I was getting some bad bogging due to loose plugs. But where you are stalling out, doesnt seem like your getting fuel. So maybe you can swing it buy a mechanic "friend" and have him check it out for ya. Hope it resolves!

- Tom

Sometimes I wanna change my major from Electrical Engineering to something Automotive I love cars!
Old 01-05-2003, 12:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1992 GTA
Axle/Gears: 4.10
....possibly MAF related. Next time it dies, try to unplug the MAF and see if it runs better. I have had 2 GTA's do this. Both times it turned out to be MAF relays.
Old 01-05-2003, 12:49 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by foxbat
i do have a haynes manual, but it gives conflicting info. one one page it says the fuel pump is in the gas tank then in another pic they have it near the engine block, that's why i asked for location. i'm a novice at this stuff so it's cool if you don't want to go any further.

anyone else have any input on this?
From the early SBC's all the way till the last carb engine (87 I think) had a fuel pump on the passenger side of the engine block.

FI cars have them in the tank on the F-bodys. (TBI and TPI)

They are a PITA to change. Have a pro do it.
Old 01-05-2003, 04:48 PM

thanks guys. i'll look into each suggestion.
Old 01-05-2003, 05:37 PM

i had the same problem. i theought it was the pump but a mechanic i know gave me a suggestion. check your Mass air flow sensor for debris. if there is any just blow into it to clear it. that fixed my problem.
Old 01-09-2003, 12:23 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: Check The Sig
any electrical problems like alt?... u can get a f/p gauge from any autoparts store... anyway.. since u have a tpi car, the pump is in the tank... all EFI ones are in tank... i belive even the tbi ones... the ones with fuel pumps on the side of the engine block is for the carbed 305's ( LG4, L69)... they are a lot easier to swap in and out when they break down... but in order for u to change ur pump.. u have to take ur tank out, remove the pump and strainer, and get new ones.. i have seen this a million times where i work (parts store)... its a pain, but if its ur pump, then its gotta get done. check first ur relay and fuses... get the cheap stuff out of the way, if its that, then u havent spent that much...
Attached Thumbnails engine bogs then dies while driving-mysigpic.jpg  
Old 01-11-2003, 04:29 PM

bigal,

thanks for the input. the alternator is brand new. today i started the car up and after idling for about 2 mins running it sputtered & conked out and would not re-start.

i'm thinking about buying a fuel pressure gauge and checking the schraeder valve thingie, but i'm not sure if it would still be worth my while since the car won't run. also, if i did the fuel pressure thing how much psi shoul i be looking for. any other tips on checking the fuel pressure?

bonham, i'll look into your suggestion too.
Old 01-11-2003, 11:44 PM

Car: 86 IROC
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: Auto
The easiest possible way to tell if it is a fuel pump, is with a fuel pressure guage. It is a great tool to have in your tool box, so you should go ahead and get one.

When you get it hooked up, turn the key to the ON position, and the fuel pump should build up pressure in the line (35 - 42 psi), then shut itself off. You should hear the fuel pump when you turn the car on.

If you have good pressure w/o the engine running, start the engine and note the puel pressure (should be in the range noted above). If this doesn't tell you anything you will have to drive car with the guage hooked up.

Lay the guage on the windshield where you can read it from inside the car, I usually lay the wiper on the hose to hold it, or you could tape it. Drive the car and wait fo it to act up and watch the fuel pressure carefully. Getting someone else to drive the car or to watch the guage may be something to think about for this, so you're not trying to do both.

As far as replacing the fuel pump yourself, it is a pain in the A#@. You have to drop the rear-end and the fuel tank.

Good luck.
Old 01-12-2003, 07:29 PM

thanks 86.

since the car is not starting i'll have to just check it with the ignition "on" and see what it reads. if that checks out between 35-42 i guess i should replace the ignition module? the car has accel distributor/wires etc so would i need an accel ign. module or would any store-brand suffice?