TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions on this crate engine, and questions about cam options etc.

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2004, 06:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Opinions on this crate engine, and questions about cam options etc.

What would you guys think about this crate engine from 'Scott Shafiroff Racing Enterprises' in a thirdgen? Link below:-

http://www.shafiroff.com/434_595_engine.asp

The complication is:- I don't want to go carbed although I quite readily admit it would be the easiest option in terms of power and running a wild cam etc.

What I was thinking was of running a Holley Stealth Ram on top of this set-up. With a cam that isn't too mild or too wild. I know with all those cubes a more wild camshaft will seem more mild and streetable than in a smaller engine. BUT, it has to remain within the tuneability realms of an amateur at chip burning.

Perhaps the Comp Cams XR276HR-12? What power output do you think this would achieve?

I'm planning to place an ATI Procharger D1SC on the set-up at a later date also.

Money is not really an issue, as long as a wickedly fast but streetable car with reasonable manners and drivability is the result.

Your thoughts and comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys.

Last edited by The Doc; 08-13-2004 at 06:14 PM.
Old 08-13-2004, 06:03 PM

One member here - BADDEST305 - has this as his set-up:-
Scott Shafiroff build 434ci -12:1 comp, motown block, comp cam 254 dur. 594 lift,, callies crank, afr227 heads, dart intake, lunati rods, king demon 1095 carb, msd ignition, stahl 2" jet hot headers, etc

He runs 1.44-60ft, 6.58-1/8@ 104.4, 10.34-1/4 at 130.1- mph ALL MOTOR!

This below thread has a post from him with more details from his sig:-
https://www.thirdgen.org/techbb2/sho...ight=shafiroff

Last edited by The Doc; 08-13-2004 at 06:18 PM.
Old 08-16-2004, 05:39 AM

Any ideas at all guys?

Obviously, I'd be going for the Extending Cruising option with 9.5 to 1 compression ratio or slightly lower in preparation for the blower.

Any input on the cam choice? ? Comp Cams XR276HR-12 or LPE 219? Or more radical?

Any suggestions are welcome.
Old 08-16-2004, 09:58 AM
Supreme Member

Car: White KSwisses
Engine: 5.3L Gen III
I think you would want to go bigger. People with 350's and 383's are those cams. And since you are going to be running a blower, I would get one specfically designed for that, which neither of those cams are.
Old 08-16-2004, 12:10 PM
Supreme Member

What you have posted so far does not fit well together.

That is a wild motor to start.

9.5 is still to much compression for a blower.

An HSR is to small for those heads, unless you weld material into the intake ports and rework it after that.

Those cams are way to small for that motor and heads.

You need a decent srpead in exhaust Vs intake duration with a blower.

That is not a street setup out of the crate.

Thats alot o money!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-16-2004, 12:11 PM
Supreme Member

Oh yeah........

You need to build the car to take that motor first
Old 08-17-2004, 05:49 PM

OMINOUS_87:- Thanks for your comments. They're much appreciated.

The car is already built in every way you could mention to handle a ludicrous power level. The engine is the last thing in this car that is to be done.

What compression pistons do you think I should consider? Custom JE pistons are a possibility. Would you say that 8.5 to 1 would be better, or lower than that still?

My correspondence with some guys with much more experience than me, has agreed with you regarding the HSR being too small for those heads and cubic inch capacity. I have been told to go Mini-Ram instead if I'm keeping fuel injection. Would you say that is a good way to go?

Which cam would you recommend I get for this proposed combo?

How about the Comp XR280R (242/248 @ .050") on a small base circle?

The money is not really an issue, as this motor is only getting built once so it's going to get built the right way! That's why I'm trying to get all the questions out of the way and get the build/parts list etc all sorted out. With some help from you guys, of course.

Last edited by The Doc; 08-17-2004 at 05:53 PM.
Old 08-20-2004, 07:04 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: Faster
Engine: Than
Transmission: You!
It's nice and all, but I personally wouldn't buy that motor.

I could make WAY more HP for ALOT cheaper.

Example:

vortec 350 pull-out motor
go .030 over , new rods, 8.5:1 forged pistons, new bearings, new springs in heads, custom ground cam, vortec victor jr. intake, 750 speed demon carb, used Ford power stroke turbo/wastegate, shortie headers flipped backwards with custom piping feeding the turbo

I've built the above combo for $3,800.00 and it will make more power than that $9,000 crate motor.

However, if you just have to have that crate motor, then I would buy it as a long block only minus cam and get a fuel injected version of the edlebrock super victor jr (air gap), custom throttle body, F.A.S.T DFI, then call Cam Motion and tell them your motor specs and how much boost you want to run and then they will make a damn good cam for that combo.

I like building lotsa power for cheap. Anyone can buy a crate motor if the money is there. ........ But, thats just my $.02

Mike

Last edited by 1bad91Z; 08-21-2004 at 05:14 PM.
Old 08-22-2004, 05:09 AM

Mike, thanks for all the advice. Much appreciated.

The thing is, I don't have to get this exact motor. I'm just trying to get everything sorted out and planned before buying anything. I liked the idea of this company of their reputation and because I can buy the assembled short or long block from them, and hence not have to deal with arranging machining and assembly. Mainly because I don't have the time to organise all that stuff myself.

I only want to build this motor once and once only and am quite willing to sacrifice a bit of power for good street manners.

Do you have the contact details for Cam Motion?

Basically guys, I think I wouldn't mind just either a list of parts to shop for from someones already proven combo or a list of parts or suggestions that would make this crate motor as effective as possible in a thirdgen.

Many thanks again!
Old 08-22-2004, 07:33 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: Faster
Engine: Than
Transmission: You!
Also, keep in mind that the above crate motor will be a pain in the butt to tune if you want to keep it fuel injected (unless you spend 2,000 bucks on DFI).

How much money do you have to spend? PM me and I'll give you the best combo for your budget.

Mike
Old 08-22-2004, 11:28 PM

First off you will never feed a engine that big with a d-1. If money is no object I would build something like this:
4.125 bore
3.48 stroke
(377 cid)
motown block
230 cc full ported 23*heads or 18* even better (actually i would use SB-2.2)
A comp cams special grind. Solid roller 115lsa The other numbers would depend on your car weight, transmission, rear gear, rpm range, converter......
I would make a manifold out of a victor single plane.

ATI F1-R supercharger, Intercooled
Accel DFIV7, with WB option, if you are going to tune it yourself, or want to data log it.
I like short stroke engines. You can make more torque in your car with gear if you need it, but you can't get rid of it if you have to much. I alsoi like the extra rpm of the short stroke engines. Now if you were building a turbo motor you better build at least a 406 so you can make some power before the turbo gets up on line.