TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how to make tpi burn real clean

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2005, 09:07 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1982 Trans Am & 1982 Corvette
Engine: L-98 with LO-3 induction. 350 CFI
Transmission: 5 speed and vette has 700r4
Axle/Gears: 373's in T/A .. vette unknown
how to make tpi burn real clean

Aside from your normal tuneup stuff what else can be done to get my tpi conversion burn clean so I can get through smog easily.

This is a 90-92 speed density system mounted on a 82 LG-4 with a 5 speed, it idles at about 800rpm seems to idle pretty smooth but I do smell fuel out the tailpipes. I have a code 24 which is VSS so dont think this is the cause, I may have ordered 350 injectors by saying I need engine code 8 injectors but will get the numbers off them to confirm this.

I sure could use diagram of the 90-92 vacuum line routing, I know I have like a 87 charcoal canistor which I know is different and I have this systems vacuum lines hooked up for 87, will this affect how the speed density would run ?

I have edelbrock headers which are emissions legal but when I did the air injection I sorta forgot how the lines went on the air injection diverter valve, mine has a small pipe and a large pipe on the back of it which goes to the cat and which goes to the manifolds.

will a automatic trans e-prom affect how the 5 speed does in emmisions will it set a code or anything.

I've heard the VSS does in someway affect the EGR system on some vehicles is this true for my application, or could I bypass the egr solonoid by running a vacuum line directly under the throttle body.

So hit me with any ideas no matter what they are to get this car through calif. emmisions test without a problem.

thanks
Old 04-04-2005, 10:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1987 Firebird Trans AM
Engine: 383 TPI...very soon
Transmission: TH700R4
Well lets see...

I passed smog with my 305... It had the 350 injectors in it, and the stock chip, which I believe was from a manual car (since my car was manual when it was originally sold, I bought it with an automatic)

I did a full tune up, Put on a new cat (probably not necessary) Set my timing back to about 5*, ran a bottle of the Sure-Pass smog stuff, then when I went for the test I had about 1/8 tank of gas, I then added 2 bottles of the ISO-Heat (which is Alcohol) and about 2 gallons of gas.

I passed it with flying colors...

The first time I took it it had old plugs, about 1000 miles on the oil change, a old cat, and 8* timing, plus I had my fans on... I turned them off for the second test, thinking if it got hotter it would pass easier, I think that helped a lot. I barely failed the first test. My NOX was fine for both tests (higher the second one). My CO was almost passing the first test, my HC's were a bit high (like 20 above the limit)

Bottom line, if everything is in good running order and you have a fresh tuneup with fresh oil, just make sure it's nice and hot, and give it a try, it'll probably pass, and if it doesn't... hopefully they offer a free retest.