TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I wan't to do the best tune up for my car, anyone can help, their's so many brands...

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2006, 10:28 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1988 Pontiac Firebird Formula 350
Engine: 5.7L
Transmission: Automatic 4 speeds
Axle/Gears: 2.77
I wan't to do the best tune up for my car, anyone can help, their's so many brands...

I'm gonna buy a 1986 Chevrolet Camaro Sport Coupe next week... You could say that it's now a 89 IROC-Z. The car received everything from the 89 IROC-Z: 350 TPI, 700-R4, 2.73 POSI, coil spring, shocks, sway bars, bumpers, decals etc etc...

I wan't to do a big tune up to the car. Spark plugs, spark plugs wires, cap, rotor, PCV valve, air filters, fuel filters... What brand(s) and/or types do you recommand for each? I plan to do some small mods in the future to go a little faster but no supercharger or stuff like that. I heard ACDelco regular stuff is good for our car, what do you think? Do you think I'll need to change them again in the future if I do some small mods or can they handle some more power without problems too?

I also plan of changing engine oil/filter, transmission oil/filter/gasket, rear oil and coolant. I plan on using synthetic for the engine, transmission and rear end. What do you think?

I'll be waiting for a couple of answers to make a very very good tune up the first time around so that my car run like from the factory again. After I may ask some help too to help me do some mods...

Thanks!
Old 05-15-2006, 07:31 AM
Supreme Member

Bump
Old 05-15-2006, 09:51 AM

Received 217 Likes on 178 Posts
Don't get hung up on name brands. I've seen some supposedly high-end Accel part that I wouldn't use on a lawnmower engine, and some "cheapo" Wells or generic items that outclass the "good" brands by a factor of three or more.

Spark plugs are like breakfast cereals. We all have our favorites for whatever reason. However, just like cereals, some should be avoided. Get a decent quality, single side electrode resistor plug with a copper core or platinum electrodes. DON'T get any of the designer plugs, such as the Bosch +4 or SplitFire parts. The theories they promote to sell those designs aren't supported by the science. Personally, I also avoid Autolite since they are plagued by quality control problems (like anything else from Allied Signal, such as Fram filters). AC/Deco is O.K., NGKs are good, the jury is still out on Densos. Keep in mind that the ONLY spark plugs that are certified for aviation service by the FAA are Auburn and Champion, and I'll bet you'd have trouble finding a set of Auburn plugs for your car. Does that tell you anything about reliability?

The same with wires. The name doesn't mean much, since different names are printed on the same wire for various brands. The major ignition secondary wire manufactureres are Belden/Cooper, Packard/Delphi, Taylor, and maybe a coupel other domestics. Look at teh construction and materials under teh name. A resistance core, multi-layered silicone insulation, abrasion ressitant outer jackets, and full-length boots with brass or nickel plated terminals are going to be the better choices.

For distributor caps, the same thing goes. Get GRP or nylon molded caps with brass or nickel plated terminals, and deeply molded arc chutes and barriers between terminals. Avoid the bakelite or plain molded thermoset plastic caps with aluminum terminals and smooth interiors.

Use fully synthetic lubricants. Don't even think about using the "semi-synthetic" or Group III "synthetics". "Semi-synthetic" is very misleading. If your quart of mineral oil has ½ ounce of PAO synthetic in it, it is a "semi-synthetic" product. Group III "synthetics are nothing more than highly refined mineral oil, not esters made for different molecules. Stick with Mobil 1, Amsoil, Royal Purple, or Red Line. Avoid Castrol, Pennzoil/Quaker State, Valvoline, or any of the other "synthetic" oils.

For filters, it's hard to miss with AC/Delco, WIX, Hastings, or Champ filters. Again, Allied Signal/Fram has a history of some real quality and design problems.

The PCV valve can be cleaned instead of replaced. Be wary of aftermarket replacement PCV valves, since they may not have the correct springs and pintle desing calibrated for proper flow on your engine. Use a spray type carburetor/throttle body cleaner. You may have other uses for the cleaner as well.

While you're doing all that fluid and filter changing and other maintenance, don't overlook the other parts of a tune-up:
  • Cleaning the IAC;
  • Check Throttle Position Sensor voltage and adjust as necessary;
  • Check/adjust minimum air rate;
  • Check/adjust timing;
  • Code scan;
  • Lubricate the front suspension grease fittings;
  • Lubricate chassis/suspension bushings, body seals and weatherstrips with silicone;
  • Check all vacuum and coolant hoses;
  • Lightly oil the throttle cable;
  • Oil all hinges, latches, and clean and lubricate the park brake cables (20W oil, not spray lube);
  • Graphite lube the lock cylinders;
  • Check lighting;
  • Check brake and power steering fluid levels;
  • Inspect the belt(s) and tensioner;
  • Clean the exterior of the radiator and AC condenser of all debris;
I probably overlloked a few things, but that should be a good start.
Old 05-15-2006, 12:20 PM
Supreme Member

Now that will be a good tune up lol.

I plan on buying ACDelco parts for the whole tune up... But I'll be sure to use quality synthetic. What would be the quantity of transmission oil and rear end oil I should buy? I don't know how much go in these.
Old 05-15-2006, 03:26 PM
Supreme Member

Anyone know the quantity I should buy?
Old 05-16-2006, 07:19 AM
Supreme Member

Synthetic is not cheap so I would like to know the quantity to buy before please