TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

i need to know if these injectors ARE RIGHT want to buy tonight

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 07:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1990 Iroc Z
Engine: TPI 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Stock Posi 32?
i need to know if these injectors ARE RIGHT want to buy tonight

New Ford Racing 24 lb BLUE Fuel Injectors set of 8. Ford part # M-9593-A302
on ebay i got a 1990 5.7 tpi says they are same as bosch part # 0280150947....
Old 05-14-2008, 07:47 PM
doc
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: '87 IROCZ
Engine: 395 ZZ4
Transmission: ProBuilt 700R4
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt 3.70s
Re: i need to know if these injectors ARE RIGHT want to buy tonight

My Summit Racing catalog confirms that that is the correct part number for Ford Racing 24#/hr injectors. BTW: Summit Racings everyday price is $315.95
Old 05-14-2008, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by doc
My Summit Racing catalog confirms that that is the correct part number for Ford Racing 24#/hr injectors. BTW: Summit Racings everyday price is $315.95
but will they fit and perform correctly in my Iroc? 24# instead of 22#?????
Old 05-14-2008, 10:39 PM

Received 349 Likes on 276 Posts
Car: 1988 Iroc
Engine: L98 350
Axle/Gears: Hawks 8.8 - 3.73

Yes, they'll work just fine.

Basically the two issues you're going to run into are:

1.) Height. These injectors a just a tad shorter than stock, but O-ring to O-ring, they're the same. So long as you use the clips to mount them properly to the fuel rail, the slightly shorter length will be in the manifold, and it will cause NO PROBLEMS. ....if you DON'T use the clips at the fuel rail, the shorter length could potentially cause them to work themselves down into the manifold, and they could unseal from the fuel rail. They won't come out, but they could leak. Again, if you use the clips, you'll be fine. If I'm not mistaken, Accell's factory replacement GM/TPI injectors are shorter too. Myself, and so many others are using these Ford/Bosch injectors with no problems.

2.) the slightly higher fuel rating. Stockers being 22, your new 24s are going to dump a little more fuel. There are threads and threads and threads about exactly what will and will not happen, and the bottom line is there's still no absolute definitive answer. You can do two things, burn/buy a chip with the correct injector value, or don't. ...myself, and a "most" of us who've done this have a reburned chip, and of course, no problems. If you don't, well, technically it's not the best way to go, but several people have done this with no chip, and haven't had any issues. I ran with the stock chip for several weeks with no issues. Bottom line for ME, is to leave no doubt as to proper operation, and that meant having a chip burned. Cost me $200 via mail order, but I also took care of a lot of little things, had some performance changes made, and if I ever choose to have the car tuned on the Dyno, that $200 will go towards the cost. For me, a no brainer.

When I did the swap to these injectors, I also installed an adjustable fuel pressure regulator. Ultimately though, I've pretty much got it set back to STOCK pressure!!!

Last edited by Abubaca; 05-14-2008 at 10:44 PM.
Old 05-14-2008, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by Abubaca
Yes, they'll work just fine.

Basically the two issues you're going to run into are:

1.) Height. These injectors a just a tad shorter than stock, but O-ring to O-ring, they're the same. So long as you use the clips to mount them properly to the fuel rail, the slightly shorter length will be in the manifold, and it will cause NO PROBLEMS. ....if you DON'T use the clips at the fuel rail, the shorter length could potentially cause them to work themselves down into the manifold, and they could unseal from the fuel rail. They won't come out, but they could leak. Again, if you use the clips, you'll be fine. If I'm not mistaken, Accell's factory replacement GM/TPI injectors are shorter too. Myself, and so many others are using these Ford/Bosch injectors with no problems.

2.) the slightly higher fuel rating. Stockers being 22, your new 24s are going to dump a little more fuel. There are threads and threads and threads about exactly what will and will not happen, and the bottom line is there's still no absolute definitive answer. You can do two things, burn/buy a chip with the correct injector value, or don't. ...myself, and a "most" of us who've done this have a reburned chip, and of course, no problems. If you don't, well, technically it's not the best way to go, but several people have done this with no chip, and haven't had any issues. I ran with the stock chip for several weeks with no issues.

When I did the swap to these injectors, I also installed an adjustable fuel pressure regulator. Ultimately though, I've pretty much got it set back to STOCK pressure!!!
Your a freaking geneous thank you much!
Old 05-14-2008, 10:47 PM

Nope.

I just have no life and read what other people already know
Old 05-14-2008, 11:34 PM

so i know nothing about reburning chips i cant even spell prom so i think i will just buy the bosch 22# injectotrs and save some headache! anyone know whose got the best price is on them? Fiveomotorsports? ebay is full of either 24 or 19 but cant find 22# to save my life!
Old 05-14-2008, 11:40 PM

What about these accel but they are not yellow, i heard the junk design was yellow these are brand new 21# for 250 shipping included!
Old 05-15-2008, 07:52 AM

22# are hard to find.

I can't speak as to the difference between good and bad Accells, but I personally would steer clear, based on what I've read.

I paid $199 + shipping for the injectors, and $200 for the chip. To me, $400 was an acceptable cost for new injectors, PLUS a few tweaks to the chip as well!
Old 05-15-2008, 06:34 PM

where did you get the chip done?, or did you buy a new one?
Old 05-15-2008, 07:02 PM
doc
Supreme Member

I strongly recommend an adjustable fuel pressure regulator (AFPR) to go along with new injectors, it's a very handy tuning tool. And of course, you will need a good fuel pressure gauge.

Also, stay away from the Accels, they are junk according to many on this board. (see, I can read also)

The ECM can make about a 16% adjustment in fueling. The Ford Racing injectors are about 9% bigger, so you should be just fine in drivibility. However, you might run a bit rich at wide open throotle (WOT). Thats where the AFPR comes in.

And BTW: the Ford injectors are a bit shorter, just like abubaca said (he is a genius and modest), make sure you use the clips that fit into the very small grooves in the top of the injectors. If I remember correctly, there are two grooves, you will want to use the upper one. And when you install the injector, put a little bit of oil on your finger tip and oil up the orings.

Last edited by doc; 05-15-2008 at 07:09 PM.
Old 05-15-2008, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by doc
I strongly recommend an adjustable fuel pressure regulator (AFPR) to go along with new injectors, it's a very handy tuning tool. And of course, you will need a good fuel pressure gauge.

Also, stay away from the Accels, they are junk according to many on this board. (see, I can read also)

The ECM can make about a 16% adjustment in fueling. The Ford Racing injectors are about 9% bigger, so you should be just fine in drivibility. However, you might run a bit rich at wide open throotle (WOT). Thats where the AFPR comes in.

And BTW: the Ford injectors are a bit shorter, just like abubaca said (he is a genius and modest), make sure you use the clips that fit into the very small grooves in the top of the injectors. If I remember correctly, there are two grooves, you will want to use the upper one. And when you install the injector, put a little bit of oil on your finger tip and oil up the orings.
Wow you guys are awesome blows my mind the wealth of knowledge you guys can retain... Well i got the info i needed i am going to buy the 24# bosch injectors off ebay and use the money i save for a good gauge and FPR...lol. you guys will love this...any suggestions on where to get a good deal on a good FPR and pressure gauge?
Old 05-16-2008, 12:22 AM

I bought my BBK AFPR at Summit for about $70 bucks. Maybe it was $80. Anyhow, most of them are about that price. I think Crane has a more expensive one, but it's the whole regulator, where as the others are essentially just the cap, diaphragm and adjuster screw which mount on your current reg. Unless yours is shot, this should be plenty. Assuming your TPI is already disassembled for the injector swap anyhow, the AFPR itself can be swapped in less than 30 minutes. Shoot, less than 10 once you've done it once or twice!

As for a gauge, I bought a fancy schmancy aftermarket gauge that mounts directly to the fuel rail, looks trick, and is great for talking about when the hood is popped at the local cruise in. For YEARS however, I used a gauge I bought at Autozone. It has about 18" of tubing between the schraeder valve connector and the gauge itself, so you can mount it and tape the gauge to the windshield for real time driving fuel pressure measurements. HUGELY valuable if the need ever comes up. It also had a pressure bleed off tube, so you can releive any built up fuel pressure before unhooking any fuel lines. Again, HUGELY valuable when the time comes. I think I paid less than $20.

BTW......4 more posts to 4000!!! Woohoo!!! I feel like a little kid!!!!! .....and you mentioned retaining knowledge? Shoot, I've been here for about 10 years, and felt the need to post 4000 times. You can't begin to imagine how much I've read and learned. I could barely change my own oil when I bought my car. 3 Years ago I pulled the heads and did a ZZ4 cam swap with hand tools and Thirdgen.Org. I've swapped two automatic transmissions, a rear end, rebuilt the ENTIRE suspension, replaced the entire interior, and am rebuilding a T5 now. This site is the single best tool you can ever have.

Last edited by Abubaca; 05-16-2008 at 12:30 AM.
Old 05-16-2008, 04:23 PM

[quote=. This site is the single best tool you can ever have.[/quote]
I agree one hundred percent, and its guys like you that make it so valuable
Old 05-16-2008, 09:23 PM
doc
Supreme Member

Thanks for the compliment, but after 13 years of doing this stuff, I should be smarter. It appears that you are just getting started, dont give up. There is alot of good stuff on thirdgen. Go thru many of the Technical articles, you can reach them from the home page here.