TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TBI to MAF TPI swap mess(opinions and help please)

Old 03-25-2009, 09:45 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 88IROC, 91Z28 + parts cars
Engine: 355, 408
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.42 LS1, 9" w/ 4.56 and spool
TBI to MAF TPI swap mess(opinions and help please)

So here is my problem I have an 88 IROCZ-28 with a mild 355/T5 combo. Had the car about 4 years and at the end of last summer it developed a nightmare of an electrical problem and did nothing but toast alternators. The car has had various electrical issues since i've owned(some due to the pervious owners hacking and sorry to admit it some of mine when i was 16 and didn't know any better). Me and my father pulled every harness and just couldn't find and issue and I got fed up with the car and let her sit for the summer. I just picked up a 88 RS with clean harnesses, it was a 305 TBI motor. I want to pull the harnesses from that car and use them to fix the IROC. After reading the sticky on converting to speed density from TBI I figure the best way is to just change connectors on the TBI harness and repin the ECM connectors. I how ever do not want to swap to SD ecm. Reason being I have a custom prom burned for the motor in the car and it runs and performs very well and already has VATs, emissions and all disabled. Does anybody know where I can find pin charts for the 2 ECMs? Also and helpful advice would be greatly appreciated. I also have a spare engine bay harness from both a 91 Z28 and an 85 IROC so I have plenty of extra connectors and what not, but the ECM is gone out of the 91.

Last edited by WIll36; 03-25-2009 at 10:03 PM.
Old 03-26-2009, 05:41 AM
TGO Supporter/Moderator

Received 89 Likes on 75 Posts
Car: '88 Formula, '94 Corvette, '95 Bird
Engine: LC9, 355" LT1, LT1
Transmission: T5, Zf6, 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.42, Dana44 3.45, 3.23
Re: TBI to MAF TPI swap mess(opinions and help please)

Originally Posted by WIll36
So here is my problem I have an 88 IROCZ-28 with a mild 355/T5 combo. Had the car about 4 years and at the end of last summer it developed a nightmare of an electrical problem and did nothing but toast alternators. The car has had various electrical issues since i've owned(some due to the pervious owners hacking and sorry to admit it some of mine when i was 16 and didn't know any better). Me and my father pulled every harness and just couldn't find and issue and I got fed up with the car and let her sit for the summer. I just picked up a 88 RS with clean harnesses, it was a 305 TBI motor. I want to pull the harnesses from that car and use them to fix the IROC. After reading the sticky on converting to speed density from TBI I figure the best way is to just change connectors on the TBI harness and repin the ECM connectors. I how ever do not want to swap to SD ecm. Reason being I have a custom prom burned for the motor in the car and it runs and performs very well and already has VATs, emissions and all disabled. Does anybody know where I can find pin charts for the 2 ECMs? Also and helpful advice would be greatly appreciated. I also have a spare engine bay harness from both a 91 Z28 and an 85 IROC so I have plenty of extra connectors and what not, but the ECM is gone out of the 91.
Repinning it to use MAF is counter productive. Your mail order prom is worthless, and you should learn to tune on your own.

With that said, you will need to splice in the MAF relays with there associated connectors, and add a handful of wires to the harness that does not exist.

It wouldn't be worth my time to do it. But if you have all summer, give it a try. It's possible. Just not worth it since you have to add wires that don't exist to the TBI harness.

If I recall, 2 or 3 MAF relays, an ESC module, and MAF connector. I think like 20 or so wires total and 5 connectors or so..?

-- Joe
Old 03-26-2009, 07:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 89RS,89TBI FB, 91Z28, 89TPI FORMULA
Engine: 357 SBC TPI
Transmission: World Class T-5 (for now)
Axle/Gears: Strange 12-bolt 3.73

I wonder why you wouldn't buy a new Painless harness? It's costs less than buying a whole 'nother car plus you've pulled the harness before so the second time is always easier than the first......

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

Last edited by BOSS 357; 03-26-2009 at 07:22 AM.
Old 03-26-2009, 08:00 AM

Joe I know that the SD setup would be better if I wanted to pull every little bit of power out of the motor but I don't. The car runs very well the way it's setup and I have other projects I want to spend the money on. I knew the MAF burn off relay would have to be added but I guess maybe I should look into digging up a SD ECM somewhere if it's that much of a pain in the rear to add all the connectors. Also I just don't have any interest in learning to burn proms. I got a good deal on a FAST XFI for my other project so to me it's a waste of time. My motor has a very very mild cam and bolt ons, if I was running a setup like your it would be a different story but I don't think it would really be worth the extra effort.

BOSS 357 I bought the car for 500 bucks to get a bunch of parts and already sold the motor and trans for more then that so the parts are effectively free.

Last edited by WIll36; 03-26-2009 at 08:04 AM. Reason: typo
Old 03-26-2009, 08:08 AM
TGO Supporter/Moderator

Joe I know that the SD setup would be better if I wanted to pull every little bit of power out of the motor but I don't. The car runs very well the way it's setup and I have other projects I want to spend the money on. I knew the MAF burn off relay would have to be added but I guess maybe I should look into digging up a SD ECM somewhere if it's that much of a pain in the rear to add all the connectors. Also I just don't have any interest in learning to burn proms. I got a good deal on a FAST XFI for my other project so to me it's a waste of time. My motor has a very very mild cam and bolt ons, if I was running a setup like your it would be a different story but I don't think it would really be worth the extra effort.

BOSS 357 I bought the car for 500 bucks to get a bunch of parts and already sold the motor and trans for more then that so the parts are effectively free.
If you lay the harness out on the table, you could probably get it together to run the MAF ECM. Or get MAF harness.

The problem with painless, is you'll still have to splice in all the gauges and all that. Some of the stuff come in at the C100 connector behind the brake booster, but a good 6-8 wires come in with the engine harness on the right side and connect to the dash. Check engine, VSS maybe, Park/neutral, and a few others. Painless is good for a '34 ford getting a SBC TPI swap, not a daily driver street car where you want everything to "work"..

-- Joe
Old 03-26-2009, 08:17 AM

Ya I definetly don't feel like spending 430 for a painless harness after summit's handling fees. I'm starting to think that the easiest thing to do might be to go the the junk yard and scavenge up a 730 ECM I saw the rather long list of vehicles they came in on your thread. I'm sure I could find an ECM then I would just have to get ahold of a V8 prom.
Old 03-26-2009, 08:20 AM
TGO Supporter/Moderator

Ya I definetly don't feel like spending 430 for a painless harness after summit's handling fees. I'm starting to think that the easiest thing to do might be to go the the junk yard and scavenge up a 730 ECM I saw the rather long list of vehicles they came in on your thread. I'm sure I could find an ECM then I would just have to get ahold of a V8 prom.
What heads/cam ? Might not run half bad on a stock vette prom.

-- Joe
Old 03-26-2009, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by anesthes
What heads/cam ? Might not run half bad on a stock vette prom.

-- Joe
  • dart iron stock replacement heads 165cc runners
  • http://store.summitracing.com/partde...rsview=sku&Ns= thats the cam
  • the car also has SLP long tube intake runners and a little bit of plenum porting
  • accel 24 lb hr injectors
  • AFPR
  • MSD coil
  • hooker 1 5/8 shorties w/ 3" full exhaust
  • under drive pulleys
  • all the little free mods

I had TPI parts do the mail order tune when I did the motor and they just adjusted for injector size and deleted the emission and vats, so the motor would probably be happy enough with a vette prom adjusted for injectors with emissions and vats removed