TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Had car for 2 years, hasnt worked yet... please help!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 07:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1987 Iroc Z
Engine: 5.7 L TPI
Transmission: TH700-r4
Had car for 2 years, hasnt worked yet... please help!!!!!!

Ok, so here it goes. I have a 1987 iroc z 350 tpi. It has been nothing but a headache since i bought it. First of all the fuel pump burns up. I figure that out, replace it and the car seems to work fine. All of a sudden after about 30 minutes of driving around town, a fuel line under the car starts to leak. The next day, i fix the line and i'm on my way, only to come back and see another line has broken completey along with gas pouring from my charcoal canister in the front of the car. I'm losing gas at a crazy rate so we raced to patch the broken line, the canister stopped blowing out gas on its own. I get the line fixed and take it out again, only to have what i think is the pump burn itself out right as im pulling in my driveway. Anyone have any idea whats going on? is it possible that the fuel pump is hooked up wrong or something crazy which is causing extra pressure? Why is there gas going into the canister and making it overflow? Please someone help me!
Old 03-19-2010, 07:53 PM

Re: Had car for 2 years, hasnt worked yet... please help!!!!!!

Forgot to mention, now the car wont start again, so i'm thinking the pump burned itself up again as i was pulling in. I heard the pump get really loud just before i shut the car down.
Old 03-19-2010, 07:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1984 Camaro 'Vert
Engine: 350
Transmission: 700R4

I can't recall exactly what that car's fuel system is like, but it sounds to me like your fuel return line could be clogged/disconnected/not working.
Old 03-19-2010, 08:09 PM

how can i test this? I cant afford to be buying new fuel pumps at 120 a piece. Would it be easier to just remove the whole canister so i wont have to worry about it? i really want to get this car working this summer.
Old 03-19-2010, 08:24 PM

Don't remove the canister. If there is indeed excess pressure, that'll just cause a fuel line rupture. It'll find the weakest point. It just so happens its the canister at the moment.

Get yourself a repair manual and map out the fuel system. You can disconnect a line, turn on the fuel pump and see if fuel flows properly from it. There could be a clog on the return, or really anywhere in the system. Some of the old metal fuel rails might be in pretty bad shape.

Honestly I've never had to work on an F-body's fuel system, just an old Ford. But in that case, the return was clogged, and the metal lines were badly rusted so they were getting clogged and throwing rust through the fuel lines. I'd suspect something similar.

Also, you may want to think about replacing the fuel filter if you haven't done that.
Old 03-19-2010, 08:28 PM

ok, makes sense. But how would fuel be getting into that line, the gas tank is only about half full, why would it be sending it through a line that it isnt supposed to go in at all? Any ideas? Could the lines be hooked up wrong?
Old 03-19-2010, 08:34 PM

The line I'm referring to is something that most fuel injection systems have to relieve pressure on the fuel system. The electronic pump will push fuel to the engine, usually far more than is needed. Another line goes from the engine back to the fuel tank, to balance the fuel pressure and return unused fuel to the tank.

The car will run without the return line working right, but pressure would build up. But again, a clog could be anywhere in the system. I'd replace the fuel filter for starters, just to rule it out. They are cheap, yet often forgotten.
Old 03-19-2010, 08:38 PM

ok, i understand that there is a supply and return, and i believe the other 2 lines running from the tank are one to the canister and one that acts as a vent or something like that. I'm only a young guy and have no knowledge of mecahnics so i need all the help i can get. Im going to start by replacing all the lines and the fuel filter and pump. hopefully that will solve it. When i replaced the fuel pump the first time i didn't replace the filter.
Old 03-19-2010, 08:53 PM

When you replace rubber lines, make sure you use high pressure lines. If you use just plain old fuel lines, you'll shred them.

Also, get a haynes or chilton manual from the local auto parts store. It should have the whole system diagrammed for you, so you know exactly what does what.

I get a Haynes manual for any car I buy, before I even fill the gas tank. #1 tool for guys like us.
Old 03-19-2010, 08:56 PM

thanks for the help, i've been told about the haynes repair manuals so i'll have to get one. I have the dealer repair manual which is about 1000 pages but i cant seem to find much on the canister, and that manual is more for experienced mechanics.
But thanks for the advice. The fuel lines i have to replace are the steel lines running under the car, they are the ones that ruptured.
Thanks again
Old 03-19-2010, 09:34 PM

No problem. Glad I can help. Good luck and I hope it fixes your problems. If not, replacing old parts on these cars is never a bad thing.