TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Okay I really need help here.

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 12:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1988 Trans AM
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Okay I really need help here.

Okay i cant stand my setup anymore. I have a stock 305 TPI in my T/A and it runs like complete s**t. The engine light comes on and off as it pleases, yet not pulling any codes. When starting the car cold it sounds like its heavily cammed varying from 1000 to 300 rpm until warm. And even when warm after shutting the car off, then restarting it cranks for a good 10 seconds before starting. And some of the wiring is fried from the previous owner. I dont want to deal with it anymore! (not to mention the power drop off after 4000 rpm) Now i've researched and researched and cant make up my mind. Now im down to asking for personal experience. What should i do? Switch to a simple carb setup and mod the engine from there? Or should i go as far as getting rid of the TPI for a Mini Ram? I do have experience with carbs from my previous vehicles, very new to E.F.I. I really, do not want to drop in a 350 because im 17 and i dont have the equipment to drop one in. The car is not going to be a commuter so i dont care about gas mileage, its going to be a street rod/drag car on the weekends. The car already has flowmaster catback and a 700R4. If someone could actually reply to this i would greatly appreciate it.
Old 04-11-2011, 01:58 AM

Car: 87 GTA
Engine: Two cracked out gerbils
Transmission: 700r with a probuilt automatics kit
Axle/Gears: 3.27
Re: Okay I really need help here.

Shoot it and buy a horse...... Then shoot the horse.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:20 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1985 Trans Am T-Top
Transmission: T-5 5 Speed
Axle/Gears: 3.42 posi 1LE 10 bolt

No one will be able to help you with that info.
Basically you have a 20+ year old car someone hacked up, You really have 3 choices:
1)go through that one completey, testing everything properly, maybe partially rebuilding. Take your time and let it be your school. people here will be able to give you lots of help with SPECIFIC problems
2)dump it and get something you know
3) pay someone to fix it

you are 17. Now is the time to really learn about this stuff so you can enjoy a lifelong hobby working on cars OR admit you are like most of america that doesnt really know anything about working on cars, doesnt really want to and just wants to drive something without screwing with it. The last category shouldnt buy 20 year old muscle cars without warranty.
I hope this helps.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:39 AM

Thanks for the input! I do want to make this my hobby, it has been for the past 4 years, I had rebuilt an 85 Dodge ram as my first vehicle from practically a clunker. Wasnt running and was pretty beat up. Re-did the whole motor, dropped in a new trans, and did the body work myself. So im not one of those spoiled kids who just says "daddy buy me that car it looks cool!" And know nothing about how it works haha. This is just really my first time dealing with fuel injection problems, I know the basics and how they perform better than a carb. But i also know if you setup a carb motor right, you can blow an E.F.I. motor away.
Old 04-13-2011, 08:52 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1985 Trans Am T-Top
Transmission: T-5 5 Speed
Axle/Gears: 3.42 posi 1LE 10 bolt

Originally Posted by Nspurgas13
Thanks for the input! I do want to make this my hobby, it has been for the past 4 years, I had rebuilt an 85 Dodge ram as my first vehicle from practically a clunker. Wasnt running and was pretty beat up. Re-did the whole motor, dropped in a new trans, and did the body work myself. So im not one of those spoiled kids who just says "daddy buy me that car it looks cool!" And know nothing about how it works haha. This is just really my first time dealing with fuel injection problems, I know the basics and how they perform better than a carb. But i also know if you setup a carb motor right, you can blow an E.F.I. motor away.

Then why did you say you cant replace a motor?
still comes down to 2 choices. use this as a school to learn EFI or change to a carb set up. First of all, prob should learn about EFI. There arnt going to be carb motors around forever and you may want a car from this century someday. If you do go to a carb, might as well yank that 305 and put something like a 350 in. No less trouble and much better result. The actual pulling and replacing of motor is easy, getting it set up right is the hard part.
Sounds like you are smart enough to know the best way. Do it right, dont look for confirmation that doing something the "easy" way is the right way. It almost never is.
HTH
Old 04-13-2011, 09:27 AM

Car: 87 GTA
Engine: Two cracked out gerbils
Transmission: 700r with a probuilt automatics kit
Axle/Gears: 3.27

heya i have found a site that helped me allot as i don't have a original service manual.My car is having issues too but i think its from my prom being exposed to light for awhile.Prom cover is missing :/

http://92b4crs.tripod.com/86wiring/86wiringindex.html
Old 04-13-2011, 09:58 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: Lots of 'em

Originally Posted by stealtht/a
OR admit you are like most of america that doesnt really know anything about working on cars, doesnt really want to and just wants to drive something without screwing with it. The last category shouldnt buy 20 year old muscle cars without warranty.
I know my way around cars, yet I really don't like messing with them. I've pulled the headers off of the IROC for when I'll be pulling the engine, gutted the entire interior for some weight reduction since it's not a DD and I don't need a radio, air conditioning, heat, or backseats and a console for that matter, still don't like messing with it.

The fun for me is driving them. I paid $2,000 for my T56 setup from the flywheel, clutch, trans, to the driveshaft + traded in my damaged 5 speed setup for the deal, and an extra $150 for the guy I bought it from to swap it in.

That's along the lines of what any decent trans shop would charge as long as you're buying the trans from them. Tick Performance charges $200. I'd rather give up $100 or $200 than stand underneath of a car for hours.

Point is it's not always a matter of knowledge. Shouldn't say that to him like it's a bad thing.

Anyhow, onto a more serious note OP. Maybe it's just a matter of simple maintenance. Here are some steps you should take before considering something as radical as swapping to a carb setup, different EFI setup, or maybe a whole new engine.

1. New spark plugs
2. Change the oil out to a quality synthetic oil
3. Check if you have any exhaust leaks going on in your exhaust system

I routinely get check engine lights on the Mustang from the offroad X pipe, but I have a tune for an offroad exhaust setup, so I just go from there and turn the light off with my tuner.

4. Clean the MAF. Most don't notice a difference, some do. A new air filter and a clean MAF might go a long way for you.

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/post...744-post4.html

5. Injectors. Fuel injector cleaners and fuel additives from the typical gas station are junk, but there are additives out there that actually work.

BG 44K has a really good reputation.

http://www.fredbeansparts.com/index...._store=default

Replacing the fuel injectors should be a last ditch effort thing incase nothing else works. Basically it's either going to come down to an ignition issue, fuel and air issue, or an exhaust issue.

However I think between some new spark plugs, a good oil change, new filter and cleaning the MAF, and checking out the exhaust system for any leaks, you'll be alright and could get it running good again. Good luck man.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:43 PM

Well, I've been tinkering around with the TPI, not doing too much so i wouldnt ruin or break anything on it. The most i did was make sure all the plugs and hoses were tight without any leaks. But now when its cold the car cranks for a while, fires, runs for 5 seconds and dies. Only stays running if i give it gas, if i hold it there, then it idles with the check engine light comes on but then goes off. Oh and a huge cloud of smoke comes out. So i have a feeling the valves are shot. The more im getting used to the car, the more it seems the past owner beat the s**t out of it. So with that being said. I think ill go through the trouble of dropping in a 350. I dont think ill keep the TPI setup. I just hope a regular old 350 will bolt right up to a 700R4 without too much hassle. Thanks for all the help guys!

Im still up for suggestions too!
Old 04-15-2011, 06:12 PM
Supreme Member

Axle/Gears: '01 3.42 10 bolt

Originally Posted by Nspurgas13
But i also know if you setup a carb motor right, you can blow an E.F.I. motor away.

that works both ways

from what you are describing, the fist thing i would check for is a vacuum leak. vacuum leaks cause very erratic idle and hard starting on these tpi motors.
Old 04-15-2011, 06:40 PM

Car: 1992 RS 6spd
Engine: Carbed 357c.i.
Transmission: Built T56
Axle/Gears: Soon to be Strange S60

I'd start with a MAF after what you just described. Try unplugging it and starting the car. If it idles without dying after 5 seconds that would most likely be your culprit.
Old 04-16-2011, 07:27 AM

A ragged out 305 is not worth modding. I would either get the 305 running decent and make it your grocery getter, of save up for a 350 longblock and go from there. You can rent engine lifts fairly cheap.
Old 04-16-2011, 08:46 PM

Car: 89 Iroc
Engine: 350/Dart heads/hotcam/TPI
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.45 9bolt

Originally Posted by 87zjeff
that works both ways

from what you are describing, the fist thing i would check for is a vacuum leak. vacuum leaks cause very erratic idle and hard starting on these tpi motors.
The vacuum leak could be in the TPI plenum/Runner or the Runner/Base. This is a common problem with TPI. If you aren't lucky it could be a leak in the base manifold.