TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel rail leaking everywhere 85 tpi

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 10:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel rail leaking everywhere 85 tpi

Ok heres the deal, I've had the engine out for a few months to change cam and new valve guides, one time of many I've had the engine out. I get everything together go to start the car and fuel floods the top of the intake dripping to the ground. Immediately shut the key off and see what's going on. The rail builds no pressure according to the gauge. It pours fuel out from the top of the injectors. The injectors were installed last year with new orings and never a leak. So far I have taken the rail completely blown It out with compressed air, replaces the top injector orings and taken the regulator apart to find it completely dry and looking crack free. I'm going to try to blow compressed air to the return line going to the tank. Also it does this with the injector pigtails unhooked to I doubt it's a ECM problem. My question is anything else I should try? Thanks
Old 03-13-2013, 10:18 AM
Supreme Member

Received 745 Likes on 505 Posts
Car: 1989-92 FORMULA350 305 92 Hawkclone
Engine: 4++,350 & 305 CIs
Transmission: 700R4 4800 vig 18th700R4 t56 ZF6 T5
Axle/Gears: 3.70 9"ford alum chunk,dana44,9bolt
Re: Fuel rail leaking everywhere 85 tpi

You may still have some pinched O-rings on the injs. May want to look at all the other O-rings throughout the fuelrail setup. I think you can get a complete O-ring kit from a local parts house.
What kind of lube are you using on the O-rings for the install?

Last edited by TTOP350; 04-12-2013 at 08:21 AM.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:20 AM
Sponsor

Received 644 Likes on 569 Posts
Car: 1967 Camaro, 91 z28
Engine: Lb9
Transmission: M20
Axle/Gears: J65 pbr on stock posi 10bolt

Fuel can only enter into the engine 2 ways. Through leaking injectors or a rip in the fpr diaphragm.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:25 AM
Sponsor

Received 644 Likes on 569 Posts
Car: 1967 Camaro, 91 z28
Engine: Lb9
Transmission: M20
Axle/Gears: J65 pbr on stock posi 10bolt

Sorry I misread that it was a external leak.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...96537&cmpid=cj
Old 04-11-2013, 01:12 PM

Car: 1989 Trans Am GTA Convertible
Engine: 5.7L 350 TPI

I am guessing that you are running aftermarket injectors, & not the stock ones since it seems you have some mods done. I say this because right now I am having the same problem, but the leak is only on 3 injectors (injectors 1, 5, & 8). I changed my intake manifold out with the Edelbrock TPI manifold & runner package, and when I put it all back together I changed out the o rings on the injectors at the manifold, but not at the fuel rail since I didn't seem to have an issue before the manifold change. I drove the car for about a week, but noticed it wasn't running right even though I was getting proper fuel PSI when I checked it with my fuel pressure tester. I also noticed a strong fuel smell coming into the car. I have aftermarket injectors, & unlike the stock injectors they don't have a groove for the lock clips. I can't tell you what brand the injectors are because they were on the car when I bought it a few years ago. All I can tell you is they are yellow, & seem longer than the stock injectors. Last night I changed out the o rings on the fuel rail, torqued the 4 fuel rail bolts to the 18 ft./lbs. as per the repair manual, and still the leak. Originally the leak was just at injectors 1 & 5, but now it seems I have made it worse somehow (see above). I increased the torque on the bolts to 20 ft./lbs. & still leaking. Upped it to 25 ft./lbs. and still a leak. I have a feeling that since there's no lock rings on these injectors, they seem a little longer at the top than stock, & I noticed that there is no lip in the fuel rail injector holes, that the top of the injector may be pushing up into the fuel rail too far, thus negating the purpose of the o ring, thus the leakage.

I plan on pulling the rail today, pull each injector out & only slightly pushing them into the fuel rail holes, then put the assemble back together, torque the bolts down starting with 10 ft./lbs. & working up by 2 ft./lb. increments up to 18-20 ft./lbs. & see what happens. If that doesn't work, I'm going to try pulling each injector, install them into the intake manifold first, then place the fuel rail on top of the injectors, & torque the bolts down starting with 10 ft./lbs. & working up by 2 ft./lb. increments.

Will let you know if I come up with a solution. Good luck with your issue.
Old 04-13-2013, 11:34 AM
Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by 89-GTA Ragtop
I am guessing that you are running aftermarket injectors, & not the stock ones since it seems you have some mods done. I say this because right now I am having the same problem, but the leak is only on 3 injectors (injectors 1, 5, & 8). I changed my intake manifold out with the Edelbrock TPI manifold & runner package, and when I put it all back together I changed out the o rings on the injectors at the manifold, but not at the fuel rail since I didn't seem to have an issue before the manifold change. I drove the car for about a week, but noticed it wasn't running right even though I was getting proper fuel PSI when I checked it with my fuel pressure tester. I also noticed a strong fuel smell coming into the car. I have aftermarket injectors, & unlike the stock injectors they don't have a groove for the lock clips. I can't tell you what brand the injectors are because they were on the car when I bought it a few years ago. All I can tell you is they are yellow, & seem longer than the stock injectors. Last night I changed out the o rings on the fuel rail, torqued the 4 fuel rail bolts to the 18 ft./lbs. as per the repair manual, and still the leak. Originally the leak was just at injectors 1 & 5, but now it seems I have made it worse somehow (see above). I increased the torque on the bolts to 20 ft./lbs. & still leaking. Upped it to 25 ft./lbs. and still a leak. I have a feeling that since there's no lock rings on these injectors, they seem a little longer at the top than stock, & I noticed that there is no lip in the fuel rail injector holes, that the top of the injector may be pushing up into the fuel rail too far, thus negating the purpose of the o ring, thus the leakage.

I plan on pulling the rail today, pull each injector out & only slightly pushing them into the fuel rail holes, then put the assemble back together, torque the bolts down starting with 10 ft./lbs. & working up by 2 ft./lb. increments up to 18-20 ft./lbs. & see what happens. If that doesn't work, I'm going to try pulling each injector, install them into the intake manifold first, then place the fuel rail on top of the injectors, & torque the bolts down starting with 10 ft./lbs. & working up by 2 ft./lb. increments.

Will let you know if I come up with a solution. Good luck with your issue.
sounds like you have the bosch lll injectors. How did you install them?
they need to go into the intake manifold first and then the fuel rail. This is why we include installation instructions with every set of bosch lll's that we send out. We actually have the information in our listings on our website. When the injectors are installed into the rail first they do not align properly, so 9 times out of ten they will leak. When you install them into the rail, lubricate the orings with liquid dish soap... they will slide right in. Over the years we have received many call with the same issue, fuel leaking from the rail. It is either an oring or installation problem. If you have a faulty injector it is going to leak from the bottom not the top.
If we can help you in any way... give us a shout.

www.southbayfuelinjectors.com
516-442-4707
Old 04-17-2013, 01:48 PM

Car: 1989 Trans Am GTA Convertible
Engine: 5.7L 350 TPI

Ok, so it's taken me a bit to get back, but here's what happened with me....

@Southbay08 -- I believe they are the Bosch III injectors. Stamped with FORD inside the oval. Even seating them in the manifold first didn't help. I suddenly remembered that I have the injectors from my 87, & they even still had the clips. I lined up the top of the OEM style from the 87 & the Bosch injectors, & made a thin line with a sharpie on the Bosch so as I was tightening the fuel rail I could check that they were not going in too far, but still ended up with leaks.

In the end I just put the injectors from the 87 in, but 2 of the clips broke while removing them from the 87's fuel rail (that fuel rail doesn't have a FPR, & didn't want to change it over). Ended up having to seat the 2 injectors with the missing clips into the manifold as I was tightening the fuel rail down. No leak issues Best I can tell you is if you have the Bosch style, then do like Southbay said & seat them in the manifold first, and same goes if you have the OEM style with the groove for the lock clips. If you do have the groove for the lock clips, then see if you can get your hands on a full set...may have to go to the Dealer for them. I know my local auto parts store doesn't have them. Hope thing work out for you soon c4mo.
Old 03-23-2017, 01:49 PM

Car: 1985 Pontiac Trans Am'
Engine: 305 LB9 V8
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.23 9bolt BW

Originally Posted by 89-GTA Ragtop
Ok, so it's taken me a bit to get back, but here's what happened with me....

@Southbay08 -- I believe they are the Bosch III injectors. Stamped with FORD inside the oval. Even seating them in the manifold first didn't help. I suddenly remembered that I have the injectors from my 87, & they even still had the clips. I lined up the top of the OEM style from the 87 & the Bosch injectors, & made a thin line with a sharpie on the Bosch so as I was tightening the fuel rail I could check that they were not going in too far, but still ended up with leaks.

In the end I just put the injectors from the 87 in, but 2 of the clips broke while removing them from the 87's fuel rail (that fuel rail doesn't have a FPR, & didn't want to change it over). Ended up having to seat the 2 injectors with the missing clips into the manifold as I was tightening the fuel rail down. No leak issues Best I can tell you is if you have the Bosch style, then do like Southbay said & seat them in the manifold first, and same goes if you have the OEM style with the groove for the lock clips. If you do have the groove for the lock clips, then see if you can get your hands on a full set...may have to go to the Dealer for them. I know my local auto parts store doesn't have them. Hope thing work out for you soon c4mo.
I know I'm pretty late to this party, but I actually had the same problem with my Injectors from South Bay as well. Even putting them in the intake first didn't help. We ended up putting two 8mm washers between the fuel rail and the intake to give it a bit more space and the leaks stopped.

Could give it a try!
Old 03-23-2017, 05:37 PM
Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by eaglesfan534
I know I'm pretty late to this party, but I actually had the same problem with my Injectors from South Bay as well. Even putting them in the intake first didn't help. We ended up putting two 8mm washers between the fuel rail and the intake to give it a bit more space and the leaks stopped.

Could give it a try!

do you have an aftermarket intake? Did you have double orings or the adapters?
If everything is stock and you have our injectors with the adapter...there is no way that they should leak from the rail unless the orings were bent. If you had to add washers then something wasn't right. The reason why I say this is that they are the same exact length oring to oring as the stock injectors. You don't need the clips on the bosch lll's...if you did need them, bosch wouldn't have made the injectors without the grooves. Remember you have at least 43lb of pressure from the rail holding them in place.
Wish you would have called us.
Old 03-23-2017, 06:05 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Car: 87 IROC
Engine: L31 350
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 4.10 D44

Originally Posted by eaglesfan534
We ended up putting two 8mm washers between the fuel rail and the intake to give it a bit more space and the leaks stopped.
The 43+psi fuel pressure is trying to shoot the injectors out of the rail.

The injectors are captured between the fuel rail and manifold, with the bolt holding the rail down on the manifold, and giving the injector a specific height to sit in.

Washers between the rail and manifold provide MORE space for the injector to wiggle between the two, and increase the possibility of an upper o-ring uncover at the edge of its hole. I would think that would make the injectors MORE likely to leak.

Maybe you co-incidently fixed a folded, out-of-place, or cut o-ring when you installed the washers.
Old 03-23-2017, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by MoJoe
The 43+psi fuel pressure is trying to shoot the injectors out of the rail.

The injectors are captured between the fuel rail and manifold, with the bolt holding the rail down on the manifold, and giving the injector a specific height to sit in.

Washers between the rail and manifold provide MORE space for the injector to wiggle between the two, and increase the possibility of an upper o-ring uncover at the edge of its hole. I would think that would make the injectors MORE likely to leak.

Maybe you co-incidently fixed a folded, out-of-place, or cut o-ring when you installed the washers.
I don't think so. We installed them both ways and just from priming the fuel pump gas spewed out. I did put on vortec heads and had to buy a Scoggin Dickey (Edelbrock) TPI Manifold, so the four towers where the rails screw in could possibly be slightly shorter, as South Bay said, with it being aftermarket things always seem to not fit properly. My cold start injector bolt hole was even 0.35 mm off.

We did fire the motor up twice for 3 seconds and no fuel seemed to come out. Breaking the motor in this weekend. Hopefully all will go well.
Old 03-23-2017, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by southbay08
do you have an aftermarket intake? Did you have double orings or the adapters?
If everything is stock and you have our injectors with the adapter...there is no way that they should leak from the rail unless the orings were bent. If you had to add washers then something wasn't right. The reason why I say this is that they are the same exact length oring to oring as the stock injectors. You don't need the clips on the bosch lll's...if you did need them, bosch wouldn't have made the injectors without the grooves. Remember you have at least 43lb of pressure from the rail holding them in place.
Wish you would have called us.
South Bay, I was actually going to call you, but I saw plenty of posts with your same answer on it so I didn't bother. I love your product, I'm very satisfied. I just think my vortec tpi intake made things not fit properly.

Thanks for the reply!