TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need help with my startup

Old 05-16-2014, 07:05 PM
Supreme Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
need help with my startup

so today was FINALLY the day to attempt the first start up, after battling huge rust issues, building the motor and dealing with a leaky intake manifold at the last second. I got the motor running, however i ran into quite a few problems and i can't keep it running and i was looking for some help.

First, here's my motor setup:
5.7L short block crate
Summit aluminum heads
crane 2032 cam
Accel intake manifold base
SLP intake runners
Hooker shorty headers
EGR delete
24lb SVO injectors
and a Tuned performance chip

my first couple problems were pretty much my stupidity at fault - had my fuel pump wire from near the battery hooked into my VSS (yeah, pretty dumb) and then a broken screw from the distributor cap into the distributor which ate up about an hour trying to get it out without pulling the distributor

then i started up, it just sputtered, never really tried to start, we suspected an air leak near the intake so we sprayed some starting fluid at the plenum to have our suspicions confirmed. forgot to hook up the metal hose which goes from the T.B. to valve cover on passenger side, then found a massive air leak from the cold start injector not lining up properly and leaving the area wide open. when these conditions were present, the motor was revving very high on its own.

after we fixed these problems, tried it again, and it ran for about 5 seconds before dying. it didnt rev high, and seemed a bit more smooth. we cant seem to get it to stay running on its own. we eventually called it a day when the battery died. going to try at it again tomorrow but was hoping to go into it with some more knowledge if anyone can help. anyone have any ideas or tips?

oh, and another question, not sure if the fuel injector wires are hooked up correctly, would that cause an issue? we werent sure.

thanks in advance for any help or advice
Old 05-17-2014, 04:42 PM
Supreme Member

Re: need help with my startup

no one has any info? not even a chime in? guess my car has stumped the experts then.....
Old 05-20-2014, 07:12 AM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 86 IROC
Engine: 5.0 TPI
Transmission: 700-R-4
Axle/Gears: 2.73 open

Originally Posted by racerx520
no one has any info? not even a chime in? guess my car has stumped the experts then.....
test your fuel pressure,make sure the timing is right,check that your plugs and wires are ok,wire it up correctly,make sure there are no vaccum leaks.THEN try again ,and hit us up
Old 05-20-2014, 03:02 PM
Supreme Member

i dont have a gauge for the fuel pressure, but it seems like its fine, got the timing up where tuned performance told me to (10 degrees advanced) and when i went around the car to check everything while someone held the throttle to keep it from stalling, i could see the boot on the #4 plug wire was torn and arcing to the header (MSD suggested a part #, when i got it, they were all straight boots so i bent them myself and some apparently tore) so now i have to replace all the boots to be safe. no more vacuum leaks, got that issue solved. we are thinking there may be too much fuel going in (told tuned performance i was going with 27lb injectors when i had him burn the chip, wound up getting 24lb ones for free so they're then ones that went in, not sure if thats the issue). sorry if what i wrote is hard to follow, kinda just rambled
Old 05-22-2014, 11:06 AM
Supreme Member

the other day i finally got it started, she's running on her own now, but the idle seems too slow for it with this cam. contacted Tuned Performance and he was kind enough to write up another chip with the fuel injectors at the right size and also kicked up the idle slightly. it tries to stall when i have it in drive with my foot on the brake. anyway, heres the startup, still open headers on it.

Old 05-22-2014, 02:55 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 86 IROC
Engine: 5.0 TPI
Transmission: 700-R-4
Axle/Gears: 2.73 open

Originally Posted by racerx520
the other day i finally got it started, she's running on her own now, but the idle seems too slow for it with this cam. contacted Tuned Performance and he was kind enough to write up another chip with the fuel injectors at the right size and also kicked up the idle slightly. it tries to stall when i have it in drive with my foot on the brake. anyway, heres the startup, still open headers on it.

1987 trans am first start - YouTube
sounds good, but it seems like way too much cam for a street driven car.its manners wont like stop and go traffic. but all in all good job!
Old 05-22-2014, 04:42 PM
Supreme Member

its the crane 2032 cam, a lot of people said its a pretty mild cam
Old 05-22-2014, 06:09 PM
Supreme Member

Good thing its a weekend only car. I try to avoid being in traffic and when I'm out driving anyway lol