TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help with PCV on passenger side

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2020, 10:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help with PCV on passenger side

Hi, over the past week I’ve done a lot to my TPI. New radiator, cooling hoses, belt, t stat and the project that gave me the most trouble was the valve cover gaskets. The drivers side required the removal or re-placement of a few little things, but all things considered was way easier than the passenger side. Anyway, I’m having trouble with the valve on the passenger side. The little black plastic tube broke, the hose that connects it to the intake is worn from old age as well. How vital are these to running my engine? I notice by putting my thumb over the disintegrating rubber piece connected to the intake, it’s sucking air to the intake. I figure the drivers side component is to bring in air and all of the crankcase fumes are then sucked through the black tube, through the rubber tube, to the intake, then burned. My main questions are; how vital is this, and how do I find a new replacement? Thanks sorry for any confusion.
Old 03-27-2020, 04:58 AM
Supreme Member

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts
Car: '87 IROC
Engine: LB9
Transmission: TH700R4
Re: Need help with PCV on passenger side

Originally Posted by L-ninety great
Hi, over the past week I’ve done a lot to my TPI. New radiator, cooling hoses, belt, t stat and the project that gave me the most trouble was the valve cover gaskets. The drivers side required the removal or re-placement of a few little things, but all things considered was way easier than the passenger side. Anyway, I’m having trouble with the valve on the passenger side. The little black plastic tube broke, the hose that connects it to the intake is worn from old age as well. How vital are these to running my engine? I notice by putting my thumb over the disintegrating rubber piece connected to the intake, it’s sucking air to the intake. I figure the drivers side component is to bring in air and all of the crankcase fumes are then sucked through the black tube, through the rubber tube, to the intake, then burned. My main questions are; how vital is this, and how do I find a new replacement? Thanks sorry for any confusion.
There's no valve on the passenger side valve cover on TPI engines. It is usually on the driver's side valve cover.

This plastic tube?

The plastic tube comes with the new PCV valve. The hose and plumbing is another matter. The grommets for the valve cover are available. Proper sized PCV hoses are available in bulk but they won't have the custom bends in it.

How vital is this system? http://www.agcoauto.com/content/news/p2_articleid/197 I wouldn't pretend it isn't needed. At best, it'll be just a huge vacuum leak.

Last edited by paulo57509; 03-27-2020 at 05:03 AM.
Old 03-27-2020, 09:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Need help with PCV on passenger side

[QUOTE=paulo57509;6361462]There's no valve on the passenger side valve cover on TPI engines. It is usually on the driver's side valve cover.

This plastic tube?

It’s sorta like that, but it’s just a rubberized tube that connects to a long plastic tube(black part that’s broken) then ties into the intake through a disintegrated rubber hose. It’s not that, sorry for confusion.