TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Delphi or Delco Fuel pump for a stock TPI?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2023, 09:58 AM

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Delphi or Delco Fuel pump for a stock TPI?

Went to move my 89 GTA yesterday & no fuel pump prime. Checked the relay & voltages to the pump & all is good there,
so I believe I have just experienced my first fuel pump failure in a 3rd gen.

What is the best replacement for a completely stock vehicle in 2023 seeing GM no longer offers the originals?
The Delco is about twice the cost of a Delphi, but just looking for the best replacement so I only have to drop the tank once

As most of you know, So much of Delco today is no better than any other brand X's out there & often were Just paying more for the Delco box.

But if there is a chance its equal or better, I am fine with he cost. Just want the best option.

Thoughts or suggestions?
Old 08-07-2023, 11:51 AM
Supreme Member

Received 389 Likes on 332 Posts
Car: 1983 G20 Chevy
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 4L60
Axle/Gears: 14 bolt with 3.07 gears
Re: Delphi or Delco Fuel pump for a stock TPI?

Originally Posted by F-body-fan
Went to move my 89 GTA yesterday & no fuel pump prime. Checked the relay & voltages to the pump & all is good there,
so I believe I have just experienced my first fuel pump failure in a 3rd gen.

What is the best replacement for a completely stock vehicle in 2023 seeing GM no longer offers the originals?
The Delco is about twice the cost of a Delphi, but just looking for the best replacement so I only have to drop the tank once

As most of you know, So much of Delco today is no better than any other brand X's out there & often were Just paying more for the Delco box.

But if there is a chance its equal or better, I am fine with he cost. Just want the best option.

Thoughts or suggestions?
I have never had an issue with a Delphi pump myself. I have had a Walbro that had multiple failures. AC Delco can be good stuff like Delphi or it can be bottom barrel garbage sold to you in a fancy box. Change the sock and fuel filter when you change the pump and make sure the tank is clean and rust free inside. You may need to change the sending unit as well depending on its condition.