Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?
View Poll Results: Change or leave?
Change
76.19%
Leave
23.81%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

To change old fluid or not to change...

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2006, 07:13 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1993 Nissan 240sx
Engine: Turbo KA24DE
Transmission: 5 spd
Axle/Gears: 4.08 VLSD
To change old fluid or not to change...

Ok, I am hearing all kinds of things from all kinds of people. The trans shop refused to touch it on the grounds that changing the fluid can kill it.

Here's the deal. The car has 230k kilometers on it and I have no idea when the fluid was last changed, if ever. It doesnt look or smell burned to my untrained senses. One place I took it to said the fluid looked a little burned, and the dealership said it was fine. The trans shifts fine (I think. The 1-2 is a real kick in the pants when it is cold..) and doesnt slip or anything. Should I change it or leave it?

Last edited by 305q_ta86; 05-14-2006 at 02:49 PM.
Old 05-03-2006, 10:06 AM
Supreme Member

By the way, I did do a search on the matter but from what I found, it hasnt been discussed much before.
Old 05-03-2006, 12:40 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: projects.......
if it's still redish in color and smells god, go for it. If the color's off(usually orangish) don't mess up a good thing.....
Old 05-11-2006, 09:04 PM

I am by no means an expert so take what I say with a grain of salt. If the same question was wondering if or when the oil was last changed in the car would you hesitate to change the oil? I would change the fluid. IMHO new fluid will protect better than old. Some will say that the new fluid may make it die faster, but with the old fluid never being changed you are on borrowed time anyhow. This is just one mans opinion and you know what they say about those.
Good luck whatever you decide to do.
Old 05-11-2006, 09:45 PM

Car: 1988 Camaro Sport Coupe Convertible
Engine: Your Momma
Transmission: I can go forwards and backwards
My opinion, change it. If it goes out then you needed a rebuild anyways. If the "dealership said it was fine" you might have been talking to an idiot service writer that was talking out his *** and couldn't tell burnt transmission fluid from clam chowder. I like running it through my fingers, if I can feel a lot of debris from clutch packs in the fluid (like fine soft sand) then I wouldn't change it. Use a fluid evacuator if you can get one and suck as much old fluid from the dipstick that you can and replace it with new fluid and see if you shifts feel firmer/softer or if you notice any slipping and take it from there.
Old 05-11-2006, 09:46 PM
Supreme Member

And I thank you for your opinion. I've decided to take it in. We'll see what happens.
Old 05-12-2006, 09:20 AM

A lot of shops won't touch your trans fluid/filter if they know that you haven't touched it for a long time. Some tranny shops argue that over time, the old fluid and 'garbarge' that builds up in the trans actually cakes on to parts, changing tollerances etc... When the fluid is changed all that 'garbarge' is cleaned out, the tranny doesn't know what to do with the fresh fluid, tolerances change again, and bang - there goes your trans.
I have had the really bad experince of loosing two transmissions, one in my TTA and the other in a Ford. Both cars where not 'abused', I just wanted to change all the fluids after purchasing the car from the first owners.... Tranny shop that re-built my 200R4 - told me this story.... I don't know how much truth there is to this explanation, but for cars that are running fine, the trans fluid is clean and still red with no odour - I would now leave it; I won't risk blowing another trans, the inconvienience and embarassment of waiting for a tow unless of course I am planning to rebuild the trans anyway...
Just my
Old 05-12-2006, 12:09 PM

Car: 85 IROC Z
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: TCI TH350 TCI 2400 STALL
Axle/Gears: 3.42 WORN OUT POSI
I was having the same issue mine has 140000 miles but the fluid looked alright. So I had it done figuring thats one way I'll find out if I need a rebuild. Since it was done it shifts better and crispier, but there has been a few times it has missed third when I get on it a little, it just revs up till I let off then it goes in gear. Other than that it seems fine. Good luck.
Old 05-12-2006, 12:19 PM
Supreme Member

Car: White KSwisses
Engine: 5.3L Gen III
Originally Posted by kaptinkafeen
A lot of shops won't touch your trans fluid/filter if they know that you haven't touched it for a long time. Some tranny shops argue that over time, the old fluid and 'garbarge' that builds up in the trans actually cakes on to parts, changing tollerances etc... When the fluid is changed all that 'garbarge' is cleaned out, the tranny doesn't know what to do with the fresh fluid, tolerances change again, and bang - there goes your trans.
I have had the really bad experince of loosing two transmissions, one in my TTA and the other in a Ford. Both cars where not 'abused', I just wanted to change all the fluids after purchasing the car from the first owners.... Tranny shop that re-built my 200R4 - told me this story.... I don't know how much truth there is to this explanation, but for cars that are running fine, the trans fluid is clean and still red with no odour - I would now leave it; I won't risk blowing another trans, the inconvienience and embarassment of waiting for a tow unless of course I am planning to rebuild the trans anyway...
Just my
I honestly dont think a GM (or any other production vehicles) tranny's tolerances are tight enough to where a change in fluid might cause it to break. From some of the slop ive seen on these cars, i'd be suprised if GM uses any decimals on their drawings.
Old 05-13-2006, 02:38 AM
Supreme Member

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
I have been buiding transmissions for over 28 years, and have never found varnish buildup, or sludge buildup. This used to happen in units many, many years ago but the fluid used now has many different additives in it to prevent this. If the oil looks good, and smells ok, and the transmission is working fine, then leave it alone. There are many old wives tales on when you change fluid that something bad will happen. In the vast majority of cases the transmission already had problems, or was going away, when the fluid was changed, and gets blamed. Sometimes changing fluid (this is rare though) to a completely different brand or going to a synthetic, can cause problems.
Old 05-13-2006, 11:33 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Pro Built Automatics
I have been buiding transmissions for over 28 years, and have never found varnish buildup, or sludge buildup. This used to happen in units many, many years ago but the fluid used now has many different additives in it to prevent this. If the oil looks good, and smells ok, and the transmission is working fine, then leave it alone. There are many old wives tales on when you change fluid that something bad will happen. In the vast majority of cases the transmission already had problems, or was going away, when the fluid was changed, and gets blamed. Sometimes changing fluid (this is rare though) to a completely different brand or going to a synthetic, can cause problems.
Well I guess I could have problems then becase I dont know what brand was in it to start with. The explanation I was given was that the metal shavings floating around in the fluid get between the bands and actually act to increase friction between them so it doesnt slip. Mine doesnt slip as far as I know. As far as I know, it's working fine, but this is the ony 700R4 I've had under me.

The two things that make me wonder are these:One, when it is in anything but OD and I am slowing to a stop, when it downshifts into first it really bangs. Second, the 1-2 upshift is a REAL kick in the pants when it's cold, but then when it warms up again it shifts much more softly.

I'm considering adding a TransGO shift kit at the same time as I do the fluid, but that may be a bad idea?
Old 05-13-2006, 01:12 PM

Car: 85 z28
Engine: lg4
Transmission: 700r
My 85 had a harsh 1-2 shift when it was cold and since I changed my fluid that has stopped . As far as the harsh downskifts when in anything but overdrive, mine does the same thing, I beleive it is just an inherent flaw of this tranny that some of the transgo kits were designed to fix.
Old 05-13-2006, 05:09 PM
Supreme Member

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
"The explanation I was given was that the metal shavings floating around in the fluid get between the bands and actually act to increase friction between them so it doesnt slip." What an unbelievable statement! This person should be taken and shot! If you have metal shavings (more than the usual on the magnet), a fluid change is not going to solve anything. The downshift clunks are somewhat normal in these units, but the Trans-Go Shift kits can solve this to a large degree.
Old 05-13-2006, 08:22 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Pro Built Automatics
What an unbelievable statement! This person should be taken and shot! If you have metal shavings (more than the usual on the magnet), a fluid change is not going to solve anything. The downshift clunks are somewhat normal in these units, but the Trans-Go Shift kits can solve this to a large degree.
Well good. And as I understand it, these shift kits can really help to prolong trans life. Now I have to make some phone calls.