Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

Dakota Digital SGI-5C explained

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 02:53 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 88 GTA
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt w/ 3.73
Dakota Digital SGI-5C explained

I've gotten a few PMs and e-mails about this over the past half year from people who found my thread about my SGI-5C installation problems but still didn't understand how to hook it up so I'm going to post this thread.

This all portrays to a T-56 swap. The same info will work, for the most part, if you just changed gears and need to recalibrate your speedo.

The box:

Wiring

Here’s how I wired mine.

power - spliced in from cigarette lighter. Dakota claims that this can be an ignition switched power supply. I haven’t had any problems with battery drain over the past half year with the power wired to a constant hot.
grnd - I grounded it to the factory ground bolt that's about 3" to the left of the parking brake handle under the center console
sensor gnd/input - run the two T-56 VSS wires to these two terminals. It doesn't matter which goes where since the VSS sends a clipped sin wave.
out 3 - I spliced this into the yellow wire that came off the factory VSS that goes to the ECM. Don't use out 4 like the manual tells you to. Use out 3.

Here are the dip switch settings:
#1 - off
#2 - off
#3 - on
#4 – on

Testing

At this point you might want to test your box to make sure everything works. Go for a short drive. The speedo won't move immediately - this is what took me so long to get it right. It takes about 10-15 seconds of driving for the box to come out of 'sleep mode' before the speedo will move. Don't worry if it's off, all we care about at this point is that it moves.

Calibration

This is straight out of the manual.

Adjust while driving: To increase the speedometer reading, press and hold (or just press) the UP button. To decrease the speedometer reading, press and hold the DN button. If you cannot get the speedometer to read fast enough, make sure that setup switch #4 is ON. If you cannot get the speedometer to read slow enough, make sure that setup switch #4 is OFF or move to a different output.
This is by far the easiest method of setting your speedo. You have three methods for figuring out your speed: either run through a calculator and figure out what RPM in what gear you need to have your engine at to go, say, 45 mph. I suggest 4th gear because it's 1:1. This is the method I used and it is dead accurate assuming your tach isn't off. Another driving method is to follow behind someone (friend, relative, etc) on a flat road going at a constant speed. The most accurate method is to do it on a dyno but not all of us have access to one.

I'm going to ignore the rest of the manual's instructions at this point because you don't need them.

Check engine light

The check engine light will come on with the VSS code any time the ECM thinks the car is moving but it’s not getting a speed input. If you rev the car at a stop enough times it will trip the VSS light. As me how I know

Hopefully this will help someone out.
Old 10-03-2006, 09:28 PM
Supreme Member

Car: Pair of 92 Z28s
Thanks again btw, i actually have my speedo working.

I called and talked on the phone with someone from Digital Dakota and he helped.

-Power,switched ignition off the fuseblock
-Ground, used one of the 7mm bolts under the console
-Sensor Input, 1 wire off the new T56 VSS
-Output #3, used yellow wire off the old automatic VSS connector

-The other purple wire from automatic VSS is connected to 1 of the new wires from the new T56 VSS. (Im not sure if i had to do it this way or could have just grounded 1 of the wires from the T56 as i was told purple wire grounds itself but the guy from Digital Dakota told me to try them connected together.)
-Switches 1,2 OFF 3,4 ON

Works for me now after i adjusted the UP/DN buttons while driving. No check engine light.

Last edited by Stevo; 10-03-2006 at 09:41 PM.
Old 03-14-2007, 03:18 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1991 RS Camaro
Engine: L03 (want LS1)
Transmission: 700R-4 (and T56)
Axle/Gears: 4th Gen 3.23 posi
Awesomeness. Thanks man. This helps me out. I plan to be doing T56/4.10s this summer.
Hey, Stevo. Mind if I ask how the car drives with the 3.23s and T56? I don't think my car will make the power to make 6th usefull with the 3.23s in mine (I think that acceleration would suck as well)
Old 09-02-2007, 02:12 PM

Car: 1989 GTA
Engine: L98
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.23s
Re: Dakota Digital SGI-5C explained

Can someone help me out here. I have my box wired just like Gummies but I don't get a constant green when the car is off. Will it just come on when driving? I get a constant green when I have the old vss hooked up to output 4.

Edit*
Nevermind I got the ground mixed up, I don't have a lot of different colored wires. Still though I'm using the same configuration as you guys and i'm getting a blinking green light when driving but the speedo is not working. From its default position should I be pressing up or down on the box?

Edit*
I used Stevos setup and got it working, for some reason though the old VSS wires are reversed on my car. Purple was the sender, yellow was the ground.

Last edited by Tenom; 09-02-2007 at 06:13 PM.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:40 PM

Car: 1986 Trans Am
Engine: 350 TPI
Axle/Gears: 3.27

I had the issue as Temon output 3 needed the purple wire form the factory vss buffer not the yellow wire.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 04-24-2013, 07:34 PM

Car: 1988 firebird
Engine: 305 tpi
Transmission: t-5
Axle/Gears: unknown

question, r u guys removing the vss buffer box? the first time i had my sgi-5c wired up i could not get it to read right. it was always 10mph slower. now i have bypassed the buffer box. but ii havent been able to run it just yet.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:03 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 85 Trans Am
Engine: 98 Vortec 350 LT1 Cam w/ TPI
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt 3:27

This thread is a blast from the past. But with the SGI-5 you do not need the buffer box. Just wire each wire that would normally go to the buffer to the SGI-5 outputs and you should be good to go.
Old 04-27-2013, 03:53 PM

Received 48 Likes on 26 Posts
Car: '89 Formula WS6
Engine: L98
Transmission: 700r4/T56
Axle/Gears: BW 3.23

Often overlooked. There are a lot of very accurate and free GPS driven speedometer apps for smartphones to help with calibration. It's 2013, you don't have to pace another car anymore