Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

9 bolt only has 7 bolts in it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 09:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
9 bolt only has 7 bolts in it?

so i was at the junkyard today and came across an 89 transam, it's a 9 bolt rear end and it has disc brakes, the problem is theres only 7 bolts actualy on the cover, and most of the differentials i see at the junkyard are missing a bolt or 2???????????? is there a reason for this, its still real greasy all the way around the cover so i'm assuming no one removed it, maybe some one just snagged the bolts off it, it seams like most of them are missing a bolt, it makes no since, do the junkyards do this, to drain fluid or something?

and on a further note is there any way to check if the posi is good before i install the whole rear?

anyhow 2morrow im degreasing it and spray painting it black and ordering new ebrake cables, any suggestions on other things i should do to it while its out of the car, i dont have alot of money so i'm not changing the calipers/ rotors unless theyre bad, this is a big upgrade for me......coming from the stock 2.73/drum/ peglegger, sorry for the long post...i'm excited

Last edited by 1988-305-tbi; 02-14-2007 at 10:01 PM.
Old 02-15-2007, 09:38 AM

Car: 87 camaro
Engine: 355
Transmission: 2800 stall 700r4
Axle/Gears: 7.5 4.10 auburn posi
If I understand correctly most junkyards do drain the fluids to help keep epa off their backs so the missing bolts might be explainable.
to ck the posi hold the pinion and try to rotate one axle while the other is held. There is a torque spec for this rotational resistance but can't remember off hand
Old 02-15-2007, 10:17 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,697 Likes on 1,290 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere
the problem is theres only 7 bolts actualy on the cover
And this would be a problem.... how?

Stimpy goes to the boneyard alot, and just takes stuff apart and throws it to the 4 winds. And of course, Skillet is always there too, just breaking stuff to pieces so he can get to whatever little bit he wants and steal it. That's why you see every dash laying on the floorboard in little fragments, and the odometer gone. The junkyard won't generally sell the odometer because they know that people who want to buy just that are trying to defraud the world at large; so Skillet just trashes a whole car and steals it. Skillet also removes all radios from the dash with a pickaxe, which is why EVERY dash in EVERY car in EVERY junkyard is COMPLETELY MULTILATED AND WORTHLESS where the radio goes.

Look around on the ground and find the rest of the bolts from where Stimpy looked at the gears and discovered that it was a 2.xx instead of something decent, and decided that wasn't the one he wanted, and just half-a$$ed it somewhat back together.

In fact, I'd go so far as to say that if cover bolts are missing, that's EXACTLY what it means; somebody has already been inside there. And either it's toast, or they stole some small part, or it's one of the non-desirable ones and they didn't want it and you won't either.
Old 02-15-2007, 10:42 AM

Car: 89 Firebird
Engine: 350 Ramjet
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: GM 9 bolt 3:27
Originally Posted by sofakingdom

Stimpy goes to the boneyard alot, and just takes stuff apart and throws it to the 4 winds. And of course, Skillet is always there too, just breaking stuff to pieces so he can get to whatever little bit he wants and steal it. That's why you see every dash laying on the floorboard in little fragments, and the odometer gone. The junkyard won't generally sell the odometer because they know that people who want to buy just that are trying to defraud the world at large; so Skillet just trashes a whole car and steals it. Skillet also removes all radios from the dash with a pickaxe, which is why EVERY dash in EVERY car in EVERY junkyard is COMPLETELY MULTILATED AND WORTHLESS where the radio goes.

Look around on the ground and find the rest of the bolts from where Stimpy looked at the gears and discovered that it was a 2.xx instead of something decent, and decided that wasn't the one he wanted, and just half-a$$ed it somewhat back together.

In fact, I'd go so far as to say that if cover bolts are missing, that's EXACTLY what it means; somebody has already been inside there. And either it's toast, or they stole some small part, or it's one of the non-desirable ones and they didn't want it and you won't either.

Unless someone just wanted the tags to put on their diff.
Old 02-15-2007, 11:19 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 87IROC, 740iBMW, 328iBMW, 86GMC
Engine: 5.7, 4.4LV8, 2.8, 6.0
Transmission: Manuals & Auto's
Axle/Gears: 3.27, 3.42
Originally Posted by sofakingdom

Well said!
Old 02-15-2007, 12:19 PM

Car: Pontiac
Originally Posted by 1988-305-tbi
so i was at the junkyard today and came across an 89 transam, it's a 9 bolt rear end and it has disc brakes, the problem is theres only 7 bolts actualy on the cover, and most of the differentials i see at the junkyard are missing a bolt or 2????????????
Like the Z28man said. You didn't see a puddle of fluid under any of those cars did you. I'll bet every car in that yard has a puncture hole in the gas tank too, where they skewered it and drained it before they brought it out.
Old 02-15-2007, 06:42 PM

come to think of it evey brake master cylinder is always empty, never seen any motor oil, or trans fluid, o'm guessing that the yard probaly did it, well i'll open it up anyhow and check for my self, thanks for the replys

Last edited by 1988-305-tbi; 02-15-2007 at 07:13 PM.
Old 02-15-2007, 08:08 PM

i pulled the cover.... there was about 1 tablespoon of fluid in it..... and i didnt want to try to count the teeth so i marked the rotor and counted how many times of spinning the drive shaft yoke on the carrier to determine the ratio and i got 3.25, so i'm, happy that i didnt grab the 2.77 by accident so i def. have a 3.27.... and it looks like everything is entacted
Old 02-15-2007, 09:32 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 89 RS, 92 Z28
Engine: 305 TBI, 350 TPI
Transmission: 700R4 Both Cars
Axle/Gears: 3.23 Posi.. 4 wheel disc both cars
I just did this swapp 2 weeks ago, and it makes a HUGE difference......It will probably be a 3.23..(At least mine was) You need to change the prop valve under the master cylinder....(I tried without doing it, and no brakes) Im not sure how good my posi is, it does work tho...I went and cleaned and painted it 3 trips to the carwash, and lots of wire brushing....It looks really good...Paint your sway bar, and panhard, and trailing arms, it will look good...YOU WILL BE VERY HAPPY.......2.73 open rearends SUCK.......Now when I hammer it my car kinda fishtails, but really takes off alot faster.........If you can change your bushings while your at it, check your shocks too, mine were shot...Good luck...Tom
Old 02-15-2007, 09:45 PM

do ur brakes work a lotr better than the old drum setup, i hope so, i already have tubular powder coated trailing arms/ panhard, and painted sway bars, i have all new supspension/bushings, i plan on degreasing the heck outa the rear and painting it gloss black, i might paint the new 24 mm bar black also, i now have 2 24mm sway bars one blue and one rusty, for now. it's a 3.27 for sure only rearends available were 3.27/2.77, and its def. not a 2.77

Last edited by 1988-305-tbi; 02-15-2007 at 09:52 PM.
Old 02-16-2007, 07:24 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 89 RS, 92 Z28
Engine: 305 TBI, 350 TPI
Transmission: 700R4 Both Cars
Axle/Gears: 3.23 Posi.. 4 wheel disc both cars
uh, I thought the gear was 3.23...According to my RPO book it is, but whatever its close as can be...I counted the same way you did.....Was wanting a 3.42, but this is alot better than what I had......NO the brakes are not much better, if at all....BUT I had just rebuilt my back brakes, so they were in good shape....THEY LOOK ALOT BETTER THRU THE WHEELS.....I hate brake bleeding....Also, I might still have a drop of air in the lines......I think to get the full effects of rear disc, you really need braided steel lines.(Next project) The car is so much quicker now..My car has never been a great stopper tho........Tom
Old 02-16-2007, 08:01 PM

i have braide steel brake line, only thing that suks is that theyre for the front disc/ rear drum setup, so i'm going to buy a new set and sell my old ones, some where down the line, i'll just be happy to be rid of the 2.73/pegleg

Last edited by 1988-305-tbi; 02-17-2007 at 04:59 AM.
Old 02-19-2007, 01:53 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey Galileo, the 3.23 ratio is a 10 bolt ratio. The 9 bolt ratio that's equivalent to that is 3.27. In addition to 2.77 and 3.27, there's also 3.45, which is the 9 bolt equivalent to 3.42 in a 10 bolt. The 3.45 ratio is very uncommon though. Most of them were 2.77 or 3.27. Sofa's little rant about "Stimpy" and "Skillet" is so true no matter what yard you go to, unless it's one of the overpriced yards where everything is inventoried on shelves and nobody's allowed to enter the yard. I remember when I needed a fuel line, and the yard I went to had cut the fuel lines on every single car to drain the gas, so that sucked. But as mentioned above, draining all fluids possible before the car enters the yard helps keep the whiny tree-huggers off their backs.