Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

Adjusting TV Cable. Verifying method from thirdgen.org

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 02:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: Custom 1992 Camaro Z28 25th Anniver
Engine: 5.7L V8 350 L98 TPI
Adjusting TV Cable. Verifying method from thirdgen.org

I seen the following post

Start with correct TV setting: To adjust the TV Cable skip the book method and do this: Press the 'D' shaped lock button on the adjuster and loosen the cable setting (The black housing that the metal cable is in will move forward). Now, have someone floor the gas pedal while you check to see if the throttle plate is open all the way. Usually they are off a little and will wiggle. Do whatever you have to do to get it open solid. Now, with the pedal still floored, press the 'D' button and pull the cable casing (the black tube) back as hard as you can (putting maximum tension on the metal cable) and release the button. You now have the engine, tranny and gas pedal all in sync at WOT. Mark the cable casing so if for some reason it gets moved you can know where to put it again. The problem with the 'self adjust method' is that it bends things and puts them permanently out of whack. It is also the full TV setting, which is theoretically what the GM method does.
I would like to do this with my L98 TPI engine but I would like to verify I am understanding this correctly.

I am understanding this as:

1. Car turned OFF
2. Press "D" button and have the cable housing (black) slide into the collar more towards the front of the engine.
3. Have someone else get into car and while "D" is STILL pressed down fully, have them press the gas pedal all the way to the floor and hold it as #4 is done.
4. While gas pedal is to the floor, pull the housing as hard as I can towards the rear of the engine (firewall) so that the throttle plate is open as far as it possibly can.
5. Release the "D" button.
6. Mark the cable at the back of the plastic housing to set a mark where the cable is just in case it ever slipped or want to reset back to INSYNC setting.

I read online that you just pull the cable to the firewall with the car off and it reduces the cable tension, however this resulted in my shifts being WAY up almost into 4000rpm. I ended up fixing it (or so I hope) when I pulled over like 15 times as I (without knowing what I was doing) slighting pulling the cable a click forward or back to see the results..

But I think it might be better to be doing it the RIGHT WAY ;-) not just randomly selecting a setting that SEEMS to be perfect ;-)

Thanks.

Last edited by camarosource; 01-13-2008 at 02:46 AM.
Old 01-13-2008, 02:45 AM

Re: Adjusting TV Cable. Verifying method from thirdgen.org

Just I found another method which is COMPLETELY Different so which is correct? This one looks like a completely SIMPLE 1-man process??

Press the D-shaped button/tab/whatever on the side of the TV cable at the carb. Pull the black cable sheath that comes from the trans away from the carb. Then go in the car and slowly depress the gas pedal all the way to the floor. Toward the end, it'll get hard to push, but keep going smoothly. All of a sudden it'll click and you'll feel a snap in the pedal, and it'll go to the floor. It's all adjusted.
Old 01-13-2008, 09:32 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,674 Likes on 1,271 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere

http://www.tvmadeez.com/article/index.php
Old 01-13-2008, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by sofakingdom
Umm.. this is explaining a Carb. I have a TPI. I don't see where it's saying which to adjust..
Old 01-13-2008, 04:03 PM

simply
1. Push and hold the "D" to unlock the cable and push the cable housing towards the firewall, release the "D" to lock the cable in place.
2. With the engine off, by hand, move the throttle lever on the TPI to full throttle (it doesn't matter what your floor pedal does). You will see/hear the TV cable housing move forward on it's own. This is Setting your cable...no adjustment necessary. DO NOT adjust this cable to get a firmer/softer shift...that is not what it is for...READ the above post in whole to find out why.
3. DONE.

OK, now you can adjust your floor accellerator pedal to achieve WOT on the TPI if needed...some people have to take the carpet padding out from under the carpete to achieve this.
Old 01-13-2008, 04:51 PM
Supreme Member

this is explaining a Carb. I have a TPI
As I'm sure you noticed when you read the page, they tell you all about how the linkage is the same. Doesn't matter what the throttle shaft is going into; the transmission part is the same. Just like it says in the text, about how they'll use the word "carb" for lack of a better one, but the exact same things all apply to FI applications, identical in every detail.
Old 01-16-2008, 08:40 AM
Supreme Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Car: 1989 GTA
Engine: SuperRam 350
Transmission: Pro Built S/S TH700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.27

gr8apmech has it nailed in his post.

That's the way I did it. And it's "perfect."
Old 01-16-2008, 09:16 AM
Supreme Member

Received 351 Likes on 266 Posts
Car: 1984 Camaro Berlinetta
Engine: LT1
Transmission: T56 6-speed
Axle/Gears: 4.11 LS1 Rear End

Just about every time I have re-set a TV cable to the printed shop manual insturctions it has needed more adjustment.

Instructions tell you to push the button and push the slider all the way back towards the firewall..... then move the throttle linkage by hand to the WOT position. This action is supposed to pull the slider out to it's correct setting. Just about every time I have done this I have needed to pull the TV cable out a click or 2 more then the WOT setting sp the shift points were correct.

That's my experience with the TV Cables over the years !

The following users liked this post:
777Shock777 (04-27-2024)
Old 03-26-2008, 12:50 AM

Car: 84 Z28
Engine: 350
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.42

I'm tryin to set my cable perfect. I'm having an issue with 2nd-3rd at wot, the rpms go close to 6k if I let them. I've tried 1 click and 2. I just cant get it perfect.
Old 03-26-2008, 06:58 PM

Spring in the valve body may be getting weak. Short spring is a common prob. That's why they created a fix. Get the spring kit that installs on the carb end of the cable. It has a spring that you install that 'adjusts' the cable through the full range of throttle...Or, pull your pan and remove the valve body and put a good shift kit in it...but be sure to ask for the TV Pressure spring. It normally isn't in the kits. (you could just replace that spring) All kinds of options...

I'm no expert, just a hobbiest like yourself.
Old 03-26-2008, 07:03 PM
Supreme Member

rpms go close to 6k
Stock "tach"?

Probably means your "tach" is off, as opposed to anything being wrong with the transmission.
Old 03-27-2008, 12:17 AM

Car: 87 Iroc-Z
Engine: 5.7 350 TPI
Transmission: stage2 700r4
Axle/Gears: 2.73 for now

what does it mean if I have slack in the cable??. In other words if i push the D shape button and move the slider towards the firewall..I then turn my lever to WOT and the slider never clicks open. I have like another 1/2 inch of that stainless steel tv cable cord before the slider can even begin to click forward