Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

9-bolt BW rear wheel bearing,,,need help on replacing ASAP!!! SOMEONE HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2000, 07:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
9-bolt BW rear wheel bearing,,,need help on replacing ASAP!!! SOMEONE HELP!

Hi i have a borg warner 9 bolt rear,,,i have just discovered i have a bad wheel bearing. Does ANYONE know how to replace one of these. Is it similar to a ford rear where the bearing is pressed on the axle and does it require takin the cover off?...I am planning a trip on sat. and dont trust this,,,ANYONE please help ASAP!!!,,,,thanx

------------------
86 Trans Am,T-Tops,305tpi,7r4(rebuilt w/shift improvments&added clutches,9-bolt(2:77:,flowmaster,3" cat back,,,otherwise completely stock
Old 12-01-2000, 08:16 PM

Car: Trans Am
Engine: L69
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.73
I had the same problem one time it turned out it was the carrier that was bad. One of the spider gears would wobble inside the carrier causeing the wheel to have exessive play in it. But onto your ? I would say the 9 bolt is the same. I have done it on the 10 bolt. You will need to take off the rear housing cover,take out the little bolt that holds the pin in the carrier,yank the c slip with a needle nose pliers and take the wheel off and and pull the axle, the get a puller and pull the old bearing. it is pretty simple. Hope this helps alittle. Kevin
Old 12-02-2000, 04:32 AM

9 bolts don't have c-clips goto your other post
Old 12-03-2000, 10:53 PM

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
Car: 90 RS 'Vert, 88 IROC-Z, 88 Firebird
Engine: 305 ci tbi, 305 ci tpi, 350 ci tpi
Transmission: WC-T5, WC-T5, 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.45, 3.27, 3.27
First off, those of you trying to help someone with a 9-bolt, please don't give them instructions that you used to repair your 10-bolt. The only thing that is common to them internally is the gear oil and posi fluid additive. Now back to solving your wheel bearing problem on a 9-bolt rear end: TJack up the rear end remove the 4 bolts retaining the brake anchor plate and outer bearing retainer. You should attach a slide hammer to the wheel studs to pull the axle. Carefully split the inner bearing retainer with a chisel. press the bearing from the axle. Remove the old axle seal. The right and left axle seals are different. The right side seal is black, banded with right ridges. The left is gold banded with left hand ridges. Lubricate the seals with a light coating of grease before installing. The spring side of the seal goes to the center of the axle. Press the bearing and inner bearing retainer hard against the shoulder on the axle shaft. Use a hydraulic press. Slide the axle shaft into the housing, carefully aligning the axle with the side gear splines. Lightly grease the lip of the seal when installing it. Install the four backing plate bolts and tighten to 36 lb-ft. I found that no one stocked the wheel bearing seals and those that said they stocked them had the wrong ones (10-bolt ones). The correct seals were delivered the next day, but delayed my project. Get everyting in advance before you begin and it will be much easier. Good luck, Lon.