Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

Replaced TV cable, created new problem.

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2001, 02:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replaced TV cable, created new problem.

Thanks to all those who contributed to my last thread about replacing the TV cable. I finally got it done but this has created a new problem. The TV cable sticks and doesn't return fully. I may have knocked some crap down the TV cable hole in the tranny while I was fiddling about. Can I get access to the spring through the bottom of the tranny (I presume I will have to remove the valve body) and clean it out or do I have to pull the trans out?

------------------
Cosmik Debris
Old 02-11-2001, 04:35 PM
Banned

Yes.

Did you remember to lube the inside of the TV cable housing?

good luck
ODB
Old 02-11-2001, 04:49 PM

Actually, I haven't done that yet, do you think it will help? Also lost a bit of trans fluid during the operation but it was only half a cup or so. That couldn't cause a problem could it?

------------------
Cosmik Debris
Old 02-11-2001, 05:27 PM

Car: 86Z/92 RS Camaro
Engine: 357 vortec finished. need tuning
Transmission: Still works
Axle/Gears: need 3.73
I am assuming they gave you the right size T.V. cable. Try removing the T.V. cable from the throttle body and pull on it (gently). While you are pulling it, doing you feel a slight resistant? If not, the cable may have dislodged from the valve body. If so, you can go at it 2 ways to fix the problem. First would be removing the T.V. cable from the tranny and reconnecting it this way. This will depend on how much room you have between your tranny and floor panel. The second would be removing the pan and reconnecting it to the valve body. If I had to do it, I would try the first step. Hope this helps.
Old 02-11-2001, 06:52 PM

I think the cable is still connected OK. I can feel the spring pressure it just binds when it returns. If I wiggle it a bit it will go all the way back down. Can I get at the assembly from the bottom? Do I have to remove the valve body?

------------------
Cosmik Debris
Old 02-11-2001, 08:29 PM

I would remove the cable at the throttle
body and pull it through the bracket. With
the cable unbolted at its lower end, the
housing should easily slide along the inner cable. If it does, then I would pull on the
inner cable only. If the cable is not pulled back into the transmission by the spring on the TV linkage, I would then get a filter kit
, a case of Dexron III and proceed to remove the transmission pan for a TV valve inspect-
ion.
Old 02-12-2001, 12:56 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 1986 Firebird
Engine: 2.8 V6
Transmission: 700R4
At the tranny end: Did you insert the tv-cable-linkage-rod into the tv-cable-eyelet properly? It can be made to fit two ways.. with the rod entering thru either side of the eyelet. Maybe you inserted in thru the wrong side, and the rod's at a slight angle, rather then straight up & down?

------------------
-Tom P (Hot rodded 1986 Firebird 2.8l) from http://www.f-body.net/mailbag/3rd/3rd_mailbag.html message boards
---Think your car could be pic of the week? Visit http://www.f-body.net for details!
Old 02-12-2001, 02:21 PM

That's a good point! I was so relieved to get the cable attached at all. I think the hook was facing out from the tranny.

------------------
Cosmik Debris