Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

T56: rebuild the one I have or get a new one?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 11:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 91 Camaro RS
Engine: 350
Transmission: T56
T56: rebuild the one I have or get a new one?

I'm a former member of this board and done my research a couple years ago of when I bought my T56 had issues not going in 5th gear.

Well...

I went to college this year in diesel technology to be a diesel mechanic, I was able to bring in my T56 to rebuild it, lucky me my teacher didn't help me with it and my partner was a jackass. I ended up spending $1400 on my rebuild and manage to get it all in one piece Surpisingly. Ran the car for a couple times, and now 3rd, 4th, And 5th gear started to grind. This pissed me off the edge but I ended up just driving it the way it was just to get by and recently the transmission locked up on me 4 times in 4th gear. It would get locked up in gear and I'd had to ride my clutch to get out and it would do it again and again.

Then we pulled the transmission out, put the original 5 speed back in the car, and now I'm having clutch issues with that.

SO after I get done paying off my truck (like $1200 left...) I'm going to take out another loan to get either:

A: take this T56 and get it rebuilt, either someone locally or any suggestions on who's good on rebuilding them? I want a high performance build where they. Will do viper spec parts, stronger parts etc. Where it will rat more than 800 ft lbs of torque. Because I do plan on putting a bigger engine in this car that will have serious HP.

B: Go buy a new 6 speed off jegs? I've read on other people said about Richmond 6 speeds how some has took out a gear and needs a rebuild or etc. I want a 6 speed that will bolt in, and won't break what I put it against.

C: go buy either a built up 4 speed, 5 speed, or automatic, but I would rather not do this option BECAUSE I worked hard and looked hard to find this T56 and I love it, I bought a fidinaza aluminum flywheel, stage 2 clutch, and a B&M short throw shifter for it and I don't want to sell those parts.

I know I am asking for the impossible, but I really want some suggestions on anyone who knows a really good reviewed company who can rebuild my T56 with a high performance upgrade with a warranty, or a new 6 speed that wouldn't require me to replace my parts I bought for my T56 parts.

Thank you very much and please help.
Old 06-15-2011, 01:12 AM
jmd
Supreme Member

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
Car: `86 SS / `87 SS
Engine: L69 w/ TPI on top / 305 4bbl
Transmission: `95 T56 \ `88 200-4R
Re: T56: rebuild the one I have or get a new one?

I would suggest doing a tear-down to see what's actually broken and in need of repair.
And I always let a customer know what the trans. needs and what the cost will be before I proceed w/ the build.

It takes a lot when doing a rebuild w/ minor upgrades to exceed the cost of a new trans.
My guess is that your issues w/ 3rd / 4th / 5th are probably more economical to fix.

-Matthew

Last edited by jmd; 06-15-2011 at 08:33 PM.
Old 06-15-2011, 06:34 PM

Car: '84 Z 28
Engine: has 8 cylinders
Transmission: has a stick coming out of it
Axle/Gears: a grenade, makes wheels turn

there are several choices for good rebuilders for the t56, but not sure if they are sponsers here on TGO, so to avoid conflict/trouble with the mods, PM me and I'll give you their sites

I'll be having one of them to do a rebuild on my t56 before I install it in my car
Old 06-15-2011, 08:21 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1985 Camaro Z28, VIN F
Engine: 427 sbc, HSR
Transmission: T-56, self rebuilt 700+ hp
Axle/Gears: Moser 12bolt, 3.42 trutrac

Originally Posted by BlueChevyZ
there are several choices for good rebuilders for the t56, but not sure if they are sponsers here on TGO, so to avoid conflict/trouble with the mods, PM me and I'll give you their sites

I'll be having one of them to do a rebuild on my t56 before I install it in my car
There are no T56 repair sponsors on TGO, so we can **** on them all....

Send the T56 to Matt, he'll rebuild it right for you
Old 06-15-2011, 08:37 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,674 Likes on 1,271 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere

If you have issues with more than one gear, it's ALMOST CERTAIN to be a clutch problem, not a trans problem.

See my signature for help with this type of logic. Specifically, 3 different unrelated parts in the transmission all failing in the exact same way by the exact same amount at the exact same time, is not as simple of an explanation for the symptoms you are observing as ONE thing failing in the clutch system. I would put the odds of having transmission problems right up there somewhere with the odds of the space aliens coming to visit your car and inserting a carefully controlled teaching exercise to train the human race to resist CIA mind control brain implants.

Check your clutch in miniscule detail. Save your trans money for after you verify that the clutch is PERFECT. The specific piece I would check, if my own car was doing what you describe, would be the pilot bearing/bushing.

Last edited by sofakingdom; 06-15-2011 at 08:42 PM.
Old 06-16-2011, 07:53 AM

Car: '84 Z 28
Engine: has 8 cylinders
Transmission: has a stick coming out of it
Axle/Gears: a grenade, makes wheels turn

http://www.ddperformance.com/index.php
http://www.promotionpowertrain.com/index.html
http://www.texasdrivetrainperformance.com/t56.html
Old 06-18-2011, 12:48 PM

Hmmm, I guess I didn't think about the clutch. Way I remember how it went was we got done rebuilding it, we got the transmission back in te car and we tested it in all gears and they worked great, do I drove it around for not e en a couple of miles and then 3rd 4th and 5th started failing on me, grinding right before I get it in gear but it would shift in all other gears. Then down the road, you cant even get in5th anymore, then 3rd, and then locks into 4th and a major b*tch to get if back out. My theory was synchros weren't slowing down or something....

There's a local Place called badlands clutches & transmissions I guess that either had sent a T56 before to tranzilla for $2800 or something?

And I talked to my buddy from my hometown last night said we could take a shot at it and go over it slowly. (he's rebuilt automatic transmissions and worked out good, so he has a good understanding on them.

Any ideas...?
Old 06-18-2011, 01:41 PM
Supreme Member

What kind of condition was the pilot bearing / bushing in when you installed the trans?
Old 06-18-2011, 08:50 PM

When we took it out the transmission, the pilot bushing was worn out really bad. I had my instructor look at it and he was amazed by how bad it was and his theory was the input shaft was wearing it down somehow. What does that have to do with anything?
Old 06-19-2011, 08:06 AM
Supreme Member

That's what holds the clutch gear (the part people call "input shaft") in correct alignment.

Without it doing its job, the whole guts of the transmission fail to stay in correct alignment. 4th gear is the one most affected by this because it consists of the clutch gear and the mainshaft (the one people call "output shaft") coupled together.

Put in a new one. YOu SHOULD HAVE done that when you discovered it was bad. That will probably cure it completely.
Old 06-19-2011, 06:28 PM

It was bad when we took out the 6 speed to get it rebuilt, before we pulled it out, it was running good and just had 5th out, but that was like that since day one when we got the transmission in the car. We replaced the pilot bushing with a new one that came with the clutch kit I bought. Later on gears started failing on me and we pulled it out and put the 5 speed back in the car and the new pilot bushing that I installed with the new clutch, was still good. Nothing wrong with it. But either way I'm going to get a loan taken out to get my 6 speed fixed with upgraded parts.

I just want a place who can get the 6 speed fixed with upgraded parts with a warranty and for sure my transmission won't fail on me. I got huge plans for this car and I already got $5500 tied up in the 6 speed. It gets irritating.
Old 06-20-2011, 01:29 PM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 87 IROC-Z28
Engine: 305 TPI-New 355 on the engine stand
Axle/Gears: 3.73 Eaton posi-Soon a 9" Ford!

If you decide to try and rebuild the trans yourself, here is a link to the factory service manual.

http://www.ttcautomotive.com/english...ice_Manual.pdf