Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

Has anyone swapped in a TR-6060?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 01:14 AM
Supreme Member

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Car: '91 TA vert
Engine: turboLSx
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.23
Has anyone swapped in a TR-6060?

So... I think I may have jumped the gun here but I just bought a used tr6060 trans from a 2010 camaro. Has anyone seen or swapped themselves? Looking at it right now I can tell the shifter is totally different because the 5thgens use a remote shifter and the bolt pattern for said shifter looks much smaller than my t56 version. There is obviously no torque arm mount but that doesn't bother me since I already made a bracket to mount it on the xmember. It also doesn't have a slip yoke from what I can tell. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 09-13-2011, 08:44 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1985 Camaro Z28, VIN F
Engine: 427 sbc, HSR
Transmission: T-56, self rebuilt 700+ hp
Axle/Gears: Moser 12bolt, 3.42 trutrac
Re: Has anyone swapped in a TR-6060?

I think you're on ls1tech, so you already know the drama with the tr6060 ? Unless you're doing alot of fab to match your driveline to the characteristics of the 5thgen/tr6060 (IRS,etc.), you'll end up converting the tr6060 to a MagnumT56 or a T56 hybrid. Shops (RPM) can do this for you for $2000+ or you can try your hand at it if you have the machine tools..

I haven't had the time or $$ to convert a tr6060 yet, but most of the same tasks are needed as converting a CTSv T56 to a slip-yoke version.

http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~davis/z28..._Fbody_T56.pdf

The devil is in the details though..

Last edited by 85MikeTPI; 09-13-2011 at 08:51 AM.
Old 09-13-2011, 11:05 AM
Supreme Member

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Car: '91 TA vert
Engine: turboLSx
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.23

I've been loosely perusing ls1tech and found some threads with swap/conversion issues. Wow. Crap. Not such a good deal afterall. Thanks.
Old 10-09-2017, 12:57 PM

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1988 Camaro IROC-Z
Engine: Dart 427 w Miniram and AFR 225
Transmission: Stg 2 LT1 T56 w/ Spec Stg 3P Clutch
Axle/Gears: QP 9" (3.89) w/ TruTrac

Originally Posted by iansane
I've been loosely perusing ls1tech and found some threads with swap/conversion issues. Wow. Crap. Not such a good deal afterall. Thanks.

Did you ever end up doing this swap?
Old 10-09-2017, 02:01 PM
jmd
Supreme Member

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
Car: `86 SS / `87 SS
Engine: L69 w/ TPI on top / 305 4bbl
Transmission: `95 T56 \ `88 200-4R

Originally Posted by Jeff TX
Did you ever end up doing this swap?
The extra deep bellhousing won't help anything.

Did you teardown your donor car yet?
Old 10-09-2017, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by jmd
The extra deep bellhousing won't help anything.

Did you teardown your donor car yet?

I've parted out most of the valuable cosmetic stuff (e.g. seats, wheels, hood, etc) but nothing mechanical has been done yet.

I'm still not sure if I can even get the TR6060 in the car without major modification to the transmission. Some threads seem to say it is somewhat easy but just need some custom parts like custom driveshaft, crossmember, track bar and that Tremec shifter. But some other threads I'm reading are basically saying it's not possible without swapping out the housing and other major pieces of the actual transmission. I don't mind having a few custom pieces made to get it mounted on the car but I don't want to start pulling the actual tranmission apart and rebuilding it. If that's the case then I'd rather abandon the project and get the Magnum T56.
Old 10-09-2017, 07:43 PM
jmd
Supreme Member

But rebuilding them is fun! If I didn't . . . I would:

Talk to Jason at TDP, tell him what you have, he will be able to tell you how much to make yours a more direct fit.

Based on that, and how much you can buy a Magnum for, make a decision.
Old 10-09-2017, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by jmd

Talk to Jason at TDP, tell him what you have, he will be able to tell you how much to make yours a more direct fit.

I talked to one of the shop owners who sponsors a local Camaro club here. He has swapped an LS3/TR6060 into a third gen and basically said you just need the cross member with a torque arm relocation, custom drive shaft and the shifter. So if that's the case then I'll stick with the TR6060.
Old 10-12-2017, 10:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 89' Sunset Metallic Orange Iroc-Z
Engine: Forged 383
Transmission: TR6060
Axle/Gears: 4.11 9 inch

I swapped in a tr-6060 that originally came from a gt500. Jason at TDP did the conversion for me. Basically he used the bellhousing and tailhousing from my old LT1 T56, machined the input and main shaft so it is a direct bolt in.

It's basically he just a magnum for half the cost.

Jeff TX I noticed your in Roanoke, check out NTTGA on Facebook if you haven't already.
Old 10-12-2017, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by irocman7
I swapped in a tr-6060 that originally came from a gt500. Jason at TDP did the conversion for me. Basically he used the bellhousing and tailhousing from my old LT1 T56, machined the input and main shaft so it is a direct bolt in.

It's basically he just a magnum for half the cost.

Jeff TX I noticed your in Roanoke, check out NTTGA on Facebook if you haven't already.
I'm on NTTGA. I'm getting all types of conflicting info. I may just scrap the project and build a LS from scratch and get the T56 Magnum. Seems like every transmission shop is saying I'll need to convert the TR6060 anyway. Just need to vett one more option. The place that quoted me the swap said they can make it work. Just need to find a shifter. I saw someone post about a Tremec shifter that relocates the remote shifter but some of the shops I've called said that won't work on my application. Again, I'm getting so much conflicting information that I'm not sure what will work.
Old 10-14-2017, 10:10 AM
jmd
Supreme Member

I haven't seen a bullshit answer on thirdgen yet. But I do see you pursuing conflict by posting in a new thread every once in a while. You'll find conflict if you seek it. Let's recap.
Originally Posted by jmd

You own a TR6060. Here's what sucks:
The longer bellhousing makes fitment into any car with a bellhousing tougher. To change to a shorter input and to different front plate and bellhousing costs money, and you may be losing a pump built into the OEM front plate/bell piece. Whether the bell depth change is required to make it fit a third gen, I don't know, but it isn't going to make it fit as best it can. I have done he pump-equipped front plate changeover, which isn't cheap.

The fixed yoke takes a driveline that costs more than a basic slip yoke driveline. The fixed yoke bolts into a spline section of the mainshaft that is smaller than the 31 spline of the Magnum. Even replacing the bearing delete job Tremec did on the majority of. OEM units isn't going to change this. No advantage to the TR6060 here, at all.

The remote shifter adds frictional pivot points to the shifter. Tremec went to this to reduce extension housing designs and shift rails in production. Also, this wart on a gnu neck design adds height, again with no benefit. It should fit a third gen,,require minor fab to bolt a shifter to the floorboard, blah blah blah, but It holds no advantage for you. The extension housing is where the shifter should be located.

Gearing. This is the most important thing for drivability. 5-6 can be changed independently on the TR6060. The Magnum with .74 can be changed to .84 or .80 or something. The 0.63 and 0.50 can be changed for each other in the Magnum. If your TR6060 is a 2.66 / 0.50 unit, the same applies. Other unit's are different rules.

So, no more sniveling. Go read my post. Again. You're gonna spend to make the TR6060 different. It also costs to adapt the shifter and get a new slip-joint It also will cost to sell the unit you have and go Magnum. Not all options are perfect. It all depends on what is important to you.
Old 10-19-2017, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by jmd
I haven't seen a bullshit answer on thirdgen yet. But I do see you pursuing conflict by posting in a new thread every once in a while. You'll find conflict if you seek it. Let's recap.

You own a TR6060. Here's what sucks:
The longer bellhousing makes fitment into any car with a bellhousing tougher. To change to a shorter input and to different front plate and bellhousing costs money, and you may be losing a pump built into the OEM front plate/bell piece. Whether the bell depth change is required to make it fit a third gen, I don't know, but it isn't going to make it fit as best it can. I have done he pump-equipped front plate changeover, which isn't cheap.

The fixed yoke takes a driveline that costs more than a basic slip yoke driveline. The fixed yoke bolts into a spline section of the mainshaft that is smaller than the 31 spline of the Magnum. Even replacing the bearing delete job Tremec did on the majority of. OEM units isn't going to change this. No advantage to the TR6060 here, at all.

The remote shifter adds frictional pivot points to the shifter. Tremec went to this to reduce extension housing designs and shift rails in production. Also, this wart on a gnu neck design adds height, again with no benefit. It should fit a third gen,,require minor fab to bolt a shifter to the floorboard, blah blah blah, but It holds no advantage for you. The extension housing is where the shifter should be located.

Gearing. This is the most important thing for drivability. 5-6 can be changed independently on the TR6060. The Magnum with .74 can be changed to .84 or .80 or something. The 0.63 and 0.50 can be changed for each other in the Magnum. If your TR6060 is a 2.66 / 0.50 unit, the same applies. Other unit's are different rules.

So, no more sniveling. Go read my post. Again. You're gonna spend to make the TR6060 different. It also costs to adapt the shifter and get a new slip-joint It also will cost to sell the unit you have and go Magnum. Not all options are perfect. It all depends on what is important to you.

Didn't realize I was sniveling. Also didn't realize trying to get clarity was "pursuing conflict".

Regardless, thanks for your insight. I went straight to Hawks and they have put three TR6060s into third gens. They confirmed that all you need is the shifter relocation, custom driveshaft and the BRP cross member. That was all I needed confirmed. It doesn't matter to me if there is "no benefit" to some aspects of the TR6060 over the Magnum of if it "doesn't fit the best that it can", as long as it fits. My goal is to try to get this LSA/TR6060 into my car with as little modification to the engine/transmission as possible. Hence the reason I was trying to get confirmation on whether the tail housing and other parts would indeed need to be swapped as some of the threads I read and shops I called were indicating. Now that I know 100% that these parts don't need to be swapped, I will continue with the project.
The following users liked this post:
sparky380v (05-02-2023)