Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

Code 34, "vacuum" Car started randomly jumping the rpms on deceleration!

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2001, 03:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1986 Iroc Camaro
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: Th700R4 Jr. Raptor
Code 34, "vacuum" Car started randomly jumping the rpms on deceleration!

Is this vacuum related? Double post in engine/transmission, sorry, not sure where to put this exactly.

Well, my transmission has been acting up a bit, i adjusted the TV cable a bit, and finally got it set to where it's shifting a bit better. I reversed out of a spot a few nights ago, and the car died on me. When i started it again, the check engine light came on, and it was revving up pretty high.

Well, i killed it, and started it again, and the light was still on. I was driving home, when it was like the transmission wasn't shifting at all, it would hold WAY up in the rpm's even when i feathered the petal in overdrive. I had to push it a bit to rev up a bit more, and when i did and suddenly let up on the petal, it would shift.

I noticed when i was cruising at around 40-50, after getting it to shift with this method, whenever i would hit uneven uneven/bumpy sections of road, it would feel like the transmission was pulling back a bit on the car, which would let up when the road was smooth again.

Even coasting downhill in 3rd, in overdrive, it seemed to be pulling and slowing the car down. That, and when i let up on the gas, the transmission didn't downshift, but instead the transmission revved up and down and up and down over and over until i came to a complete stop, where it would idle fairly normal, and go back to first gear. I felt no shifting during the revving.

I got home finally, and flashed the ECU to get the code 34. It was late, and I wasn't in a great mood, so i let it sit overnight. The next day, when i started it, the ECU light was off, but the transmission was still acting funny. I checked the fluid, and it was at the "add a pint" area, and it was pretty burnt looking. I checked the fluid a week ago, and it was level, and looking just fine.

I added a pint and a half, and the fluid still came up
the same level, at the "add a pint" mark, but looked cleaner. That's confusing as hell to me, i checked the stick like 6 times this morning while i was doing this, before i caught a ride to work with someone else. Im going to go home and check to see if the fluid is any different, and try adding a bit more until i can see an actual change on the dipstick.

What could have caused this odd acting up from my car, when it threw this code "34"? Did my ECU go into some kind of mode which made it act up like this? I don't understand how it could have this problem, and then start up fine the next day. I just don't get what could have caused an intermittent problem to this extreme. This was acting way off from normal.

Or does this just have to do with something with my transmission failing? I check my fluids every week or so, and I do know the fluid was level, and looking healthy. What could have caused it to get so low, and burnt looking, so quickly?

Thanks for any info!
Old 12-19-2001, 04:02 AM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The only tranny problem this would cause is that you would lose L/U since you would be in open loop. I would say that if the tranny fluid is burnt and it was run low (were you checking it hot?) that it is time to get into it.