Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

T5 wont shift

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 08:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1983 camaro z28
Engine: 350
Transmission: t5
T5 wont shift

My T5 is out of my car since Im doing a hyrdraulic conversion. Trans was great when I pulled it. For the conversion I had to take the bearing retainer off to have it machined down slightly. When putting it back on, I stripped a couple threads. Since those holes go through the case, I decided to take it apart so i could prevent shavings from falling into the case. The case came apart fine, but I'm not sure what gear it was in when I pulled it apart. When putting it back together I lined up the shift forks and everything worked its way back in but it was locked and wouldnt shift or spin. Took everything apart again and it seems that the trans is in fifth gear due to me counting the input revs vs output revs. I tried lining the shifter/forks up like its in fifth but it doesnt want to go. Also the 1-2 shift(ring?) moves back and forth by hand, but the 3-4 is stuck in place and wont budge. I just ordered Paul Cangialosi's book in case I end up needing to rebuild, but If I can avoid that it would be great. Im attaching a pic of the shifter that is not moving.
Attached Thumbnails T5 wont shift-trans.jpg  
Old 02-22-2018, 08:11 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,662 Likes on 1,261 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere
Re: T5 wont shift

The reason it's not moving, is because it's been shifted so far back into 3rd, the keys have popped partway out. Then after that happened, the blocker ring (brass) rotated a bit, so that the slots in it for the keys are now no longer lined up to the keys.

One of them is on the very top in that pic. There are 2 others, evenly spaced around the hub. Rotate the blocker ring to where the slots line up with the keys. Then press them all 3 keys down flat into the hub with two of your hands, then shift the sleeve back up into neutral with your 3rd hand.

To put the cover back on, leave the 3/4 and 5/R sleeves in neutral, and put the 1/2 in 2nd. (toward the front) Then arrange the shifter the same way in the cover. It'll drop right on.
Old 02-22-2018, 08:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1983 camaro z28
Engine: 350
Transmission: t5
Re: T5 wont shift

Thank you so much! I'm going to give this a shot tomorrow and will let you know how it goes.