Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

700r4 Not finding troubleshooting info I want.

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2018, 11:58 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
700r4 Not finding troubleshooting info I want.

Funny how things go- work on something and something else completely unrelated goes for a ****.
Have a 1989 K1500 that I just did head gaskets on and while waiting for parts went through other areas cleaning up harness etc. Truck needs still some efi tuning but runs ok on new injectors. I've had the truck for eons and have had the trans built years ago (several times until I hit a guy who knew what he was doing) so in the end perhaps a freshen up is just due. What it is doing is heating up when stopped whether in gear or not- if that is normal I only remark on this as it never did this before- I run a trans temp guage on the outlet side of cooler lines at the starter area. Previously the gauge never really left 145deg and then when towing up a stiff grade to 190deg and cooled off quickly- I run a mix of GM dexron 6 with a gallon of Torque drive, fluid is clean and bright, also run a large plate cooler and B&M deep pan. I'll check line pressure today at idle to make sure it was not disturbed (cable off XX cable on XX + 2psi). No funny noises shifts normal, started leaking when sitting so changed out the pan gasket. Truck was at the tuner last year some corrugated tubing was melted by the starter/headers- so I rewrapped in DEI, I also wrapped the trans temp sender tube as well- maybe what I'm seeing is what I should be? if the unwrapped tube was cooling prematurely?