Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

Need help figuring out if I should buy this Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2019, 01:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: Camaro
Engine: L98
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.73 Posi
Need help figuring out if I should buy this Camaro

I'm new here, so sorry if this post is in the wrong spot, say something and I'll move it/remove it.

I've never owned a third gen but have loved them for over two years, so recently I went to see a third gen for sale (1989 IROC-Z28 Camaro 5.7 liter), body and frame was in decent condition, however there is a issue with the steering I think. It has a lot of play, like you have to move the steering wheel 2 inches or so to get it to actually do anything. From what I understand, a lot of things with the steering system could cause this, but is there a certain thing with third gens that go bad first?

Also, and I know this will probably be impossible to figure out from reading this, but the engine seems to be burning a lot of oil. I could smell it coming from the exhaust, so would this mean it's probably the piston rings or does something else first go bad on these engines?

I got them to go down to $3,500, but probably going to ask if they can go lower. Really like the car, just don't know how much money/work it would take to fix, but I'm willing to do everything myself. Suspension is basically shot I think and hood is a little screwed but that's not really a major concern for me right now.

Thanks, and if you need more info I can probably get it.