Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

700R4 installation (only first gear, sluggish)

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2023, 08:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1985 Chevy Camaro Sport Cruiser
Engine: 350 SBC
Transmission: 700r4
700R4 installation (only first gear, sluggish)

Not a builder, just looking for some help.

Long story short: had an 85 or 86 700r4 in my 85 camaro behind a 350 SBC. Blew the 3-4 clutch pack like everybody else, found another trans for about $400 that was supposedly rebuilt 300 miles ago, which I believe is a 93. It supposedly has a shift kit. Replaced the main seal, installed a corvette servo, swapped everything out over the weekend and filled with Amsoil OE ATF. Kept my boss hog night stalker 2200-2800 torque converter.

Put 6 quarts in it, shifted through all the gears without the car on, noticed there was no “bump” in 2nd or 3rd but I thought whatever. Took it for a tiny drive down my street to circulate the fluid, car felt fantastic and shifted firm into 2nd. Came home, filled it the rest of the way. The lokar cable is hard to read, it’s essentially showing the same as it did when we did 8 quarts and now we’ve put 11.5 in and it still shows full… but not a very think marking if that makes sense. Just fluid up the whole measuring part. Maybe low still?

Anywho, now the second drive is where it went downhill. Feels very sluggish, car is bogged down and won’t shift out of first even if I gun it. When I do, and let off, it then feels like it shifts. Like I’ll rev to 3-4k rpm’s where I think okay it should have by now, and it won’t do anything until I let off the gas. Can hardly limp the car at like 10mph. If I manually go to 1st, still bogged, if I shift to 2nd and 3rd I get absolutely nothing.

I thought maybe the governor from what I’ve read, but wouldn’t first at least feel normal? Or would first still feel like ****? Am I possibly still low on ATF? It’s a 3 and 1/8” deep pan from jegs.

TV cable: did the normal adjust of pressing the detent, pushing the plastic into the housing completely, then wide open throttle once it clicks a couple times. It’s worth noting that it wouldn’t self adjust by itself until I reaaaaallly yanked on the throttle, sometimes it wouldn’t self adjust at all and I had to keep redoing it until it finally self adjusting with the clicking.

The car just feels like it runs like **** even in first gear. My motor is great, in park and neutral it screams and runs awesome so I’m leaving that out of the equation.

Anything is helpful and I’ll answer any prying questions to the best of my ability, thank you guys so much!