Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

Speedometer for T56

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2002, 06:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Speedometer for T56

Hi everyone, I just finished installing a T56 is my auto equipped 88 IROC. I don't have any wiring setup yet. I have heard people swapping in autometer speedos in their cars, but how can you get the VSS to work with those? Is there a way? Do I have any options besides JAGS that run or Cable-X? Also, does anyone know how I can wire my car so I don't have to have my light indicator for my auto shifter on park all the time. I'd like to disconnect that unit, but I don't know what I need to do. Also, what did you all do for your reverse lights? Thanks everyone for your help.
Old 01-27-2002, 08:36 PM

ttt anyone?
Old 01-28-2002, 09:42 AM

First off, congrats on the t-56. I've been wanting one for some time and just haven't had the dough yet...

The Autometer speedo is a snap. Just make sure you get one that uses the electric sender and not the mechanical one. This is two fold: you can calibrate it anytime you make a rear change (tires, gears), and you can actually hook it up to the electric sender on the tranny. All you have to do is splice a wire from the speedo to the connector on the tranny; just run the wire anywhere that it won't be in the way. I ran my wire under the dash, down the console and around the shifter boot. The other wire on the sender goes to a ground. Any ground will do. It also doesn't matter which wire you use on the connector, because either will work. Finish wiring the speedo to ignition and lights and 12 volt and you're done. I wired mine through the stereo wires.

The reverse light, if I'm not mistaken, should be triggered by a switch in the tranny. My t-5 had a reverse light connector, but maybe the automatic is different. Anyway, if you're lucky enough to have a connector, just plug it in, or splice it into the connector on the six speed. Trust me, there's a connector on it.

As for the park light, you can just go searching under your car until you find what you're looking for, you can take apart your dash and remove the bulb, or you can find some electrical schematics for your car. Auto Zone sells full diagrams and info on any specific car, in CD-ROM format, for about $20-$30.

Hope this helps!
Old 01-28-2002, 09:39 PM

Hey Russ thanks alot for your input. What I don't understand though is how would you get the VSS signal going to the ecm to work? Do the autometer speedos have vss signal buffers? Thanks for your help.
Old 01-29-2002, 07:23 AM

The connector on the transmission sends a raw, oscillating signal out. You hook the speedometer directly to this signal. The ECM is cut out of the loop. You can't hook an aftermarket speedo to the ECM, it has to be directly to the tranny. I don't believe you should have to worry about it, since you're running a manual now.

Once you're hooked up, you can then go through the calibration procedure, so your speedo will know what kind of signal is coming out of the tranny (how many pulses per revolution). You do this by driving two miles and pressing a button. Then that's it.

I couldn't believe how simple it was... nor could I believe it worked on the first try after I hooked it up. A little warning: if you get an Autometer speedo, make sure the directions that come with it are for your model. If they're not (as the case was with mine) you can get the correct instructions off www.autometer.com. Make sure you also get one with an odometer, because your in-dash odometer will be useless.